Somewhat OT: Firefly/Serenity

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Somewhat OT: Firefly/Serenity

Post by MrMurphy »

Since most of the population here tends to be more "chronologically advanced" as i've heard it called...

Any of you ever watch the almost-1-season-before-they-killed-it show Firefly? Or the resulting movie that finished the series off, Serenity?

Being more or less a western, set in space (frontier, shootouts, bad guys, sorta-goodguys, etc) with both ultramodern Star Trek-type technology, and "if it works, use it" i.e horses, wagons, wheelguns and leverguns in use... most of you would probably like it if you haven't seen it. Hulu.com has all of them available on the net.

Since the main two gunpacking characters have a pistol (sorta-wheelgun) and a Mare's Leg (cut down 92), and in various other episodes you have modified Le Mats, in one episode a whole swarm of Marlin 336s..... even a 1873 used in an assault on a space station..

If you guys haven't ever watched it, you might want to check it out. My grandfather-in-law isn't into "sci-fi" but he's a member of the Sons of the Confederacy or another similar group and has a great interest in the Civil War given his family's history, so the basic storyline really resonated with him. With his interest in the 1860-1880 timeframe, he loved them both.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Somewhat OT: Firefly/Serenity

Post by crs »

I saw most of the shows and though sort of quirky, it was better than most other stuff on the tube. :)
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I've become a fan of sorts. Good adventure fun, with some quirky characters and directions. I havent seent the Firefly episodes, just Serenity. I borowed it from the library a couple times, until some low bread snake stole the copy from the library. I wil probably end up buying the movie and series on disc. A couple people I know that have copies wont lend them out or sell them.

There's some good youtubes, some music, some clips of the movie and series. Here's a music vid set to Nighwish's "Last of the Wilds".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eTS-m72 ... re=related
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I have the series and the movie on DVD. I enjoyed it when it was on and got a bit peeved when they suddenly canceled it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

I've got Serenity on my DVR and picked up the Firefly series on DVD but haven't seen it yet. I enjoyed the movie enough to take a chance on the series. Well, a gift card helped make the decision pretty easy as well... :lol:

Probably my favorite line from Serenity is after they told Jayne to leve the grenades at home. As they're being chased he hollers: Sure would've been nice if someone had brought some GRENADES!" :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Retro
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Retro »

If this were my board I'd post a sticky saying "Firefly will NEVER be off topic on this board" :-)

"This could get interesting"
"Interesting?"
"Oh my God, we're all going to die!"

Or something like that.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

She is starting to seriously disturb my calm! :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Watch the entire series (in the order they're in on the DVD...which is the order they're supposed to be watched) and it makes more sense. Fox ran the show out of order, on different days and times, etc etc.

I watched Serenity and only a couple episodes before they killed the series off, but watching them all on DVD is worth it.

There's definitely some classic lines in the series...... one if i remember correctly is "Drop that iron or by my pretty pink bonnet i will end you" when Mal's dressed as a woman in a wagon and has the drop on a bad guy......
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

The poor actress that played River. In Serenity it's revealed she is really a killing machine, then she ends up being a "terminator". Serioiusly, great series, and they managed to do a really good wrap up with the movie. Though, I'd like to see a few sequels. Best outerspace western I've seen.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Watched the movie at least half a dozen times and loved it every time but never saw the series. Thanks for the update on Hulu.

Happy to see that some of the cast have moved on to other things.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Good looking women on that show. My oldest daughter liked it.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Shiny. Finally an OT thread I can really relate to.

One of the best written Sci-fi series on TV. And a strong conservative libertarian bent to it also. One or two episodes were seriously stupid but most were gold.

I still have the serious hots for Kaylee.

And we'll never know the story behind Shepherd Book.

For those of you hem-hawing about "don' know nuttin' 'bout no sci-fi on TV", just think cowboys (in space) just trying to get by on the frontier and stay away from the heavy domineering hand of arriving civilization.

Oh yeah. Zoe carried a mare's leg. And used it to good effect.

So there! LEVER CONTENT!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

"I am a leaf on the wind..."

:shock: :mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

River Tam wrote:Put a bullet to me. Bullet in the brain pan. Squish

"Mal" means "bad"

People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.
Excellent movie and series. The series was canceled (most likely because it was shown in no logical order) and the movie was made in response to the fanatical followers begging for more.

I have all the DVDs and we watched Serenity over the holidays. You gotta love the fact that these war heros (from the losing side) are rustling cattle for a living. With a spaceship.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

A great series that died way too early. Though the movie was a decent consolation. Nathan Fillion is currently the lead actor in Castle which is pretty good. The Halloween episode of Castle had him dressed in his old Firefly outfit ... it was classic for those of us that had been into Firefly.

Mal: "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back! Wife or no, you are no one's property to be tossed aside. You got the right same as anyone to live and try to kill people."
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Side tip:

He was also the first "Private Ryan" found in the movie (the one who goes off crying about his little brothers) in Saving Private Ryan......

And the irony of a couple people clearing out a space station with a cut down '92, a full size 24" Winchester 73, and a mess of revolvers, a pump shotgun and some various other firepower made me chuckle.
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

I loved it! I watched every episode when it was on TV!

I also liked Farscape too, remember that one?
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I liked Farscape, but Firefly was much better.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Yeah, Farscape was good if you followed it. And I followed it for it's Claudia Black content. Of course, she went on to play Valla Madoran on the last season of StarGate.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Retro
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Retro »

Hobie wrote:Good looking women on that show. My oldest daughter liked it.
Your oldest daughter likes women?

*grin duck run* :-)

I know watcha mean. I also share the hots for Kaylee. Geekchicks rule.

And as soon as I get my second Rossi it'll end up as a mare's leg*.

The "flashback" episode was the bestestest.

* It's legal here, OK?
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I liked Firefly, but liked Farscape even better. I'm just giddy about Gigi Edgley!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I remember the name Farscape, but I can't remember the show.
I'll have to IMDB it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Retro wrote:
Hobie wrote:Good looking women on that show. My oldest daughter liked it.
Your oldest daughter likes women?

*grin duck run* :-)

I know watcha mean. I also share the hots for Kaylee. Geekchicks rule.

And as soon as I get my second Rossi it'll end up as a mare's leg*.

The "flashback" episode was the bestestest.

* It's legal here, OK?
If you like Kaylee and want to see more, she is on Stargate Atlantis. I don't think I've ever watched a complete episode, but when I'm surfing I tend to linger on the channel if she's on.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

She was also on a episode of the X-Files, around Season 5? Where a possessed chick was running around killing people. I think she was 15 or 16 at the time, but it's definitely her.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

I always liked the perpetually sunny disposition of Caylee's character. All the characters were well written and had their own 'voices'.

The mix of cowboy vs. sci-fi weaponry was always a hoot. Seeing Zoe smack up a guy side of the head or shoot out a surveillance camera with her 'mare's leg' is always a good time.

There is a strong "open range' feel to the stories. Bunch of folks, trying to get by best they can. And The Man always around the corner to try to stop them.

I've said before, if you have a good story (and a good writer, Joss Whedon), you can place it at any time. Cowboy era, 'survivalist fiction', present day, far future.
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

jeepnik wrote:The poor actress that played River. In Serenity it's revealed she is really a killing machine, then she ends up being a "terminator". Serioiusly, great series, and they managed to do a really good wrap up with the movie. Though, I'd like to see a few sequels. Best outerspace western I've seen.
Yeah, poor River. Ya gotta watch out for those cute, quiet, mousy, psycho chicks. Remember too that Illich Lenin got some inter-cranial lead injections from Fanya Kaplin who was described as "mousy", back in 1920 something.

-Brian
Retro
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Retro »

vancelw wrote: If you like Kaylee and want to see more, she is on Stargate Atlantis.
You misunderstand. I like Kaylee, while Jewel Staite is (just) a pretty girl.

I don't like Jewel Staite enough to watch Stargate, unless it got a helluva lot better since the first episodes.

But Kaylee rocks :-)

Same with River. "I can kill you with my brain" :-)

Basically, "what wecsoger said".
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Retro wrote:
You misunderstand. I like Kaylee, while Jewel Staite is (just) a pretty girl.
Oh... you're one of those... :D {creepy...} :lol:
I guess you saw the first episode where she got the was having intimate relations with the mechanic, got him fired, and took his job. :D Or is that part of the appeal. I wasn't born judgmental, life is just more fun that way.

( i won't even mention the part where River is "fixing" Shepard Book's Bible.)

I understand completely. I like River Tam just fine, but have never seen Summer Glau in anything else that she impressed me in, even if she has been in good shows like the Sarah Conner Chronicles, Dollhouse, and Big Bang theory.

I bet I can talk the wife into watching the whole series again on this rainy weekend.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Never saw the series "Firefly", but caught the movie "Serenity" on the Sci-Fi (now "Sy-Fy") channel. It was entertaining! :D
TCB in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TCB in TN »

I am a huge Firefly fan, loved the movie too.
Bubba w/a 45/70
Levergunner

Post by Bubba w/a 45/70 »

Finally caught the Serenity finale this week sometime, and watched the whole thing at once....instead of catching bits and pieces. Now things made much more sense after that.

Watched the first episode on the hulu link, and now would like to pick up the DVD series....

....does this mean I like it??? :o :D
Liberalism isn't just a disease anymore, it is a mental disorder.

Please read:
Ben Sira 2: 4-9
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

That actually wasn't the first episode (Serenity, the episode, was).... but you definitely get an idea of her personality from that.

If you've only ever seen the movie, you really do need to see the whole series.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The series is out in a 4 disc set. They are set up in order as they would have been aired, but weren't. If you buy this set, watch them in order. Then re-watch the movie and you'll get the whole story.

The network screwed this show big time. They kept moving it from time slot to time slot and kept changing the days. They did not want it to succeed.

Joe
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Never saw the series "Firefly", but caught the movie "Serenity" on the Sci-Fi (now "Sy-Fy") channel. It was entertaining! :D
Bet you'd like Firefly better.
Anyone watch Castle? Did you see the Halloween episode where he dressed like Mal and his daughter said "Didn't you wear that like five years ago?"
The link to youtube goodness...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q3pdj9p6yI
Retro
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Retro »

vancelw wrote:
Retro wrote: You misunderstand. I like Kaylee, while Jewel Staite is (just) a pretty girl.
Oh... you're one of those... :D {creepy...} :lol:
I guess you saw the first episode where she got the was having intimate relations with the mechanic, got him fired, and took his job.
That was if I remember in the flashback episode, being, as I said, the best one of the lot.

But no.

A lot of us like Kaylee because she's a geekgirl. "And don't ride in anything with a Capissen 38 engine, they fall right out of the sky."

Kids are getting to the point where they like Firefly so I'm happy :-)
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

We watched the first two episodes tonight. The wife and daughter were driving me crazy, quoting every line :lol:

I'm glad my wife likes to watch stuff like that with me, even though she knows I'm oogling the womenfolk on it. :D
PaulB
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaulB »

Zoe, yum.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

"I'm going to the special hell".......
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

PaulB wrote:Zoe, yum.

Yeah. I sort of like those warrior women myself. Kaylee is good looking, but about helpless in a fight.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

If you watch the behind the scenes stuff, the space station raid, she'd never handled a gun before. And in real life.....she'd never held a gun before. They deliberately didn't train her any up until that point so her unfamiliarity would come across real, because she really DIDN'T know what she was doing.

She did ok in the movie with that HK SP89 till she got hit.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

MrMurphy wrote:Side tip:

He was also the first "Private Ryan" found in the movie (the one who goes off crying about his little brothers) in Saving Private Ryan......

My favorite Tv show that I never watched on Tv.

On a side note...
Retro wrote: Same with River. "I can kill you with my brain" :-)

Joss worked that into a recent episode of Dollhouse that Summer Glau was on, "she can kill you with her brain."

On a related note, Adam Baldwin had the line.. "Chuck you are damaging my calm" on the show Chuck. They've worked a few of his movie lines into that shows script, including "flush out your headgear new guy." from FMJ.
Slow is just slow.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

cas wrote:On a related note, Adam Baldwin had the line.. "Chuck you are damaging my calm" on the show Chuck. They've worked a few of his movie lines into that shows script, including "flush out your headgear new guy." from FMJ.
FMJ! THAT'S where I've seen him before!
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Yup. Animal Mother the 60 gunner. He's also the Royalist colonial who torches the church in The Patriot, he's been in Independence Day, The X-Files....lots and lots of stuff.