OT-Tom Selleck and the Coen's.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

OT-Tom Selleck and the Coen's.

Post by Gun Smith »

OK guys have we decided yet that we want Tom Selleck to be Rooster Cogburn in the remake of True Grit?

Wilford Brimley is too old.

Or who?

This AM I taped and watched "No Country for Old Men" a film by the Coen brothers. I tape everything since I can't stand to watch a film in real broadcast time. Five minutes of commercials every 15 minutes of film ruins it for me. The Coen's also made "Fargo". Boy, these guys are GOOD, and I love both of these films. After viewing NCFOM I realized how similar the two films are.
If they do remake True Grit will they be true to the original, or redo it in the form of the two above? My choice would be the original script.

How about you?
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT-Tom Selleck and the Coen's.

Post by shooter »

In the previous thread about this subject I touched on my opinion. Nobody will ever match the Duke, IMHO. My present day faves are currently Robert Duvall, Tom Selleck, and Sam Elliot. Of those three I think I like Sam Elliot for the part the best. I think Selleck could pull off the part, but he just doesn't look as mean and ornery as Elliot and John Wayne. I think Tommy Lee Jones would possibly make a good Rooster also, but the only real western I've ever seen him in was Lonesome Dove. BTW, Lonesome Dove is hands down my all time favorite movie. I still get a lump in my throat every time I watch it when Gus is on his death bed. I think that Jones' and Duvall's performances in that movie were some of the best ever. Made me wish Tommy Lee Jones had done more westerns.

All in all, I think the Duke wins, but who could play a good second fiddle?
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

I guess I could have hit the "Quote" button for Shooter's post. My thoughts 100%, in every aspect!

Selleck did a great job as a rugged hombre with the kind eyes that ultimately betrays a good heart in his cowboy movies; and he is quite adept at playing into humorous scenes.

Robert Duval is in my opinion one of the best leading men in unique character roles of this last two generations; he has "become" so many different types of people. He, too, plays very well in serious roles and in humorous ones - which John Wayne also did quite well.

But for really "tough guys:"
Tommy Lee Jones wore his part in Lonesome Dove like a pear of custom fit leathers; and he no doubt partly reinvented the character for the movie. It can never be captured by anybody else the way he played it. He portrayed the sometimes troubled, sometimes crazy but always in charge and dependable trail boss as nobody else ever did in a Western. Lonesome Dove was THE Western.

I think that Sam Elliot comes across in his movies as the toughest dude of all, and is totally convincing as a cowpoke who has dealt with storms, stampedes, rustlers and cold nights in the rain. And he looks the part. He reminds me an awful lot of me (ahem). I think I'd cast him as Rooster's remake.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I think that's the key. You've got to find someone who can mix being a rugged tough guy with a little humor. I don't really know who should really play the part, but I know I would only consider one of the aforementioned people.

A little OT, but who thinks Open Range would have been a better movie with Selleck and Duvall instead of Costner and Duvall? The movie was good, and I think Costner did an ok job, but Selleck would have been better. I generally don't care for Costner.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
fatoldfool
Levergunner 2.0

Post by fatoldfool »

Hey Shooter, I agree with you! Costner bleh....
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

It must be done as close to the original as possible and Rip Torn is the only modern actor that I think can pull it off. He was very good as a crusty old tough guy in Heartland and Where the Rivers Flow North.

I have little hope the film will be anything but a parody with the Coen brothers at the helm.
greyowl
Levergunner

Post by greyowl »

I'd say Selleck or Elliot. I think the roll would require someone that like John Wayne, could give that big, physicaly imposing image. I'd want to see Rooster have to stand there, chin on his chest looking down at "little sister" with her giving it back to him at every turn. Rooster being eye to eye with every one around him just wouldn't seem right. I wouldn't mind if the story has a few different wrinkles to it from the original, to give it it's own feel. Just don't stray out of sight of the classic though.
Shooting is the national passtime/ walk softly and carry a big stick
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I would be willing to bet from the stuff I have read that it will be very different than the original....unfortunately. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Size does matter and Duval isn't big enough or have enough stature to play the part.

Selleck would be the top choice in my mind.

Instead of a direct sequal maybe they could make an off-shoot type. Rooster's long lost son/nephew/etc. from his first marriage appears on the scene and then they can use pretty much whoever they want for the part.
ED
Yer never too old
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

Latest news/rumors puts...
Jeff Bridges as Rooster,
Matt Damon may play La Boeuf,
Josh Brolin may play Tom Chaney.
Last edited by mklwhite on Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Levergunner

Re: I'm a big guy but don't agree with you about size and acting

Post by 2571 »

[quote="Modoc ED"]Size does matter and Duval isn't big enough or have enough stature to play the part.

Duval has the awards to refute your claim about lack of Hollywoood stature.

I think it should be Eddie Murphy, whom I heard they considered for the part. He's a better actor than Elliott (whom I do like); he was a cocky badbutt in those prison and police movies. He has the conservative personality to do the job (consider his intransigent attitude about presenting anti-gay humor).

Murphy in this character would be historically correct for an immediate post-civil war movie and casting him would pique audience interest.

I'll spend the $12 to see it whomever is cast in the lead, though.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

mklwhite wrote:Latest news/rumors puts...
Jeff Bridges as Rooster,
Matt Damon may play La Boeuf,
Josh Brolin may play Tom Chaney.
If this is so....
It will be a flop!

Tom S is a great choice...
But Sam E wood be the best choice for Rooster
as a matter of fact...I would like to see the entire supporting
actors cast in crossfire trail in this movie
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Thanks guys for your input! Jeff Bridges??
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I also wouldn't mind seeing a lot of the supporting cast from Crossfire Trail, Monte Walsh, etc. There are a lot of the same people in all those movies anyways.

I wouldn't mind seeing Sam Elliot as Rooster and Tom Selleck as LeBouf, as long as they didn't make Selleck as incompetent as Glen Campbell was in the original. That might take us back to the old Shadowriders or Sackett days with Elliot and Selleck.
RobertS
Levergunner

Post by RobertS »

OK, I can agree with most all that has been (still wondering about Eddie Murphy, though) but I was impressed with the actor by the name of Thomas Haden Church in Broken Trail, who played with Robert Duvall. I think THC is a natural cowboy actor, and I hope to see him another western one day soon. I'd be interested to know how others feel about him, but I thought he did a great job with his role in Broken Trail.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Thomas Hayde Church also played one of the bad guys in "Tombstone". I think I've seen him in a couple other movies too, but can't recall what they are off the top of my head. I agree, he is a good cowboy actor, and wouldn't mind seeing him in some more movies. Then again, I'd like to see A LOT more quality westerns made these days. They are too few and far between for me.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Loved Thomas Hayden Church in Broken Trail. For Rooster, I could see the guy from Raising Arizona.....not John Goodman but the other escapee. He has a pretty good presense, plays a pretty tough dude, yet can be funny.
Edit: here he is...William "Bill" Forsythe:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Forsythe_(actor)
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

As far a Duvall's stature I don't htink he meant Hollywood stature I think he meant ...THE DUDE AIN'T BIG ENOUGH PHYSICALLY FOR THE PART. But I could be wrong. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
RANisbet
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT-Tom Selleck and the Coen's. What about Harrison Ford

Post by RANisbet »

I think Harrison Ford could do a good job.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Tom Selleck, Rex Linn or Tommy Lee Jones for Rooster; Thomas Haden Church as Ned Pepper.

It's gonna be a hard one to cast, as far as us olde guys are concerned. Don't know that "modern" Hollywierd pays that much attention to us...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Well, all I know is if Jeff Bridges is cast as Rooster, it will take some doing for me to be interested at all.

Jeff Bridges is just not the old west type. He does not fit the part.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

I've enjoyed some films with Jeff Bridges; but if he was Rooster I would wait until the movie hit the Netflix circuit, read the reviews, and then decide if I wanted to see it at all.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

fordwannabe wrote:As far a Duvall's stature I don't htink he meant Hollywood stature I think he meant ...THE DUDE AIN'T BIG ENOUGH PHYSICALLY FOR THE PART. But I could be wrong. Tom
That's exactly what I meant.
ED
Yer never too old
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

If they cast Josh Brolin in it, I wouldn't even go see it. He, his Daddy (James Brolin), and his step-mammy (Barbara Striesdan) are all so far to the left they've passed right without even a hickup. They are all anti-gun.

Don't ya just love it when the anti-gun types don't hesitate to appear in a movie with heavy gun violence?
ED
Yer never too old
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

Ben Johnson paid his dues as a trusty sidekick in far too westerns. He deserves a part in the Rooster sequel, IMO.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Unfortuntely we lost Ben Johnson in 1996. He was one of the finest western character actors in Hollywood. He won an Oscar for his supporting role in "The Last Picture Show".
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Why does "True Grit" need a remake?

I thought it pretty good the first time around.

And I agree - nobody mentioned so far would
be as good John Wayne for the character.

That's no slight against any of the actors mentioned -
they are ALL fine actors.

-Stretch
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Is Bruce Cohen one of the Cohen Brothers? He is one of two parties banking the gay marriage challenge in CA that will go to the SCOTUS and apply to all of you. If he is, still want to see his western film???? :evil: :evil:
The case marks the first federal trial to examine if the U.S. Constitution permits bans on gay marriages, and the challenge is being bankrolled by a group of liberal Hollywood activists including director Rob Reiner and producer Bruce Cohen.
I am trying to find the original article I read on this that mentions their name but it is hard to find now. This is not it, but there is more out there I'm sure:

http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_14144247?source=rss

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Thanks for the heads up Tutt! :shock:
An absurd example of our movie dollars going into the pockets of those who want to "fundamentally change" America. :evil:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Deleted for being too political.
-Tutt
Last edited by CowboyTutt on Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
phc45-70
Levergunner 1.0

Post by phc45-70 »

Alright, what the h---!. I'll settle this argument. I'm not very busy right now. I'll play the dang part.
BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

Stagecoach was remade, maybe twice. The one remake I saw part of was no where near as good as the original.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Three times 1939, 1966, and 1986.
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

I don't know anything about the new movie, but Bruce Cohen is not one of the Coen brothers. They are Ethan and Joel.

I will say that if the Coen brothers remake True Grit it will not be like the original. And if Jeff Bridges is Rooster he will do a good job. He is an ACTOR. And last I will probably enjoy it.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Marc wrote:I don't know anything about the new movie, but Bruce Cohen is not one of the Coen brothers. They are Ethan and Joel.

I will say that if the Coen brothers remake True Grit it will not be like the original. And if Jeff Bridges is Rooster he will do a good job. He is an ACTOR. And last I will probably enjoy it.
I am a fan of the Coen Brother's. I don't like all of their movies.

"Raising Arizona", "O Brother Where Art Though?", and "Ladykillers" are my favorites. I won't ever waste my time again watching 'The Man Who wasn't There" or "Burn after Reading." Their movies are either really funny to me or I just don't get it at all.

They are no dummies, and I doubt they will try to make "True Grit" better in the normal sense. It will definitely have their mark on it when it's done.....And I will either love it or hate it. I agree that Jeff Bridges will do well in a Coen interpretation of True Grit. Matt Damon can't do worse that Glen Campbell.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1403865/

Don't go to see this movie expecting a "traditional" western without the recommendation of a trusted friend who has already seen it.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

I made the comment shortly after the Duke's death that Sam Elliot could be the next John Wayne...if he wanted to. I think Sam wants to play roles that will be associated with Sam, not the Duke and have serious doubts that he'd take the part.

I think that either Ben Johnson or Bill Holden would have been great choice for a new "Rooster" but both are gone so........

Seeing as how Robert Duval played Ned Pepper in the original I think he would have an excellent feel for how the character should be played and that he might be just the ticket for a fiesty little "Rooster" in a remake.

Rob

BTW, I agree the original Lonesome Dove was one of, if not the greatest western ever made. No one will ever be able to duplicate the roles played by Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Duval.
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
mudgunner49
Levergunner

Post by mudgunner49 »

How about Brad Johnson??? He never got enough credit for the work he as done, and as I understand it he's an accomplished gunsmith who does some really amazing things with an 86 Winchester (and others I'm sure)...

blake
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Brad Johnson does do work on '86's. But I believe you will need to sell your Ferrari to pay for his work.
mudgunner49
Levergunner

Post by mudgunner49 »

Gun Smith wrote:Brad Johnson does do work on '86's. But I believe you will need to sell your Ferrari to pay for his work.
So a worn out Chev 1/2 ton wouldn't even make a down payment then, I guess...
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

CowboyTutt wrote:Deleted for being too political.
-Tutt
Too bad we can't delete the movie stars and filmmakers for being too political. Then we could enjoy the movies more.

After all, most of the Hollywood types are totally screwed up in their heads and lives, anyway (I lived among them and knew several up until my 'teens) - it amazes me that so many take their opinions seriously!
preventec47
Levergunner 2.0

Post by preventec47 »

I hate to say but a lot of our favorites are getting long in tooth
and we think of them as they were in movies 19 or 15 years ago.
Like Elliot, Selleck and Jones for instance. I think the Duke was a little too old in his last movies. It would be like Clint Eastwood as a current tough guy. Who is that new Australian guy that reminds
me of Eastwood who played the X-men movies ? He can be a pretty
mean ombre. I actually liked James Garner in a few of his
westerns but he has probably become an old man also.

I am not familiar with the themes of the movies but you know
Russell Crow can play a pretty rugged role when needed and if
the role is appropriate.

Eddie Murphy, big mistake. I wouldnt watch it if given to me
for free.

Honestly, I dont own a TV or watch Movies for the last
4 or 5 years and am not familiar with the popular actors
of today but I dont think the movies made today call for
the kinds that we liked 20-40 years ago..
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Tutt, your opinion was a good one.

I'd watch Sam Elliott or Tom Selleck anyday, but they're not funny guys. They can be very subtley funny, as Tom Selleck wasa in Monte Walsh, but Rooster was both tough and funny in an eccentric way.....so I still think William Forsythe.
PaulB
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaulB »

Why does "True Grit" need a remake?
No kidding. I'm not interested.

When I think of late John Wayne movies, I always think of "The Shootist". Talk about a swan song...

Coen bros. make really, really good movies. I liked "Raising Arizona" (prepare to spend half the time rolling on the floor), "Fargo" (wow, just wow), "O Brother Where Art Thou", "Miller's Crossing", "The Ladykillers" (inspired!) and "No Country for Old Men".

http://www.coenbrothers.net/movies.html
CaptainFinn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CaptainFinn »

I don't think the Coens are 'ultra-liberal' hollywood types. Many of their films feature firearms use by the characters in a positive (albeit violent or comedic) way.

The Coens go waaaay back with another director I like, Sam Raimi. Sam is somewhat right-wing and conservative, which puts him at odds with a lot of the hollywood elite. He also happens to be married to the daughter of Ol Ben Cartwright himself, the late Lorne Greene. I believe the daughter's name is Marilyn, they have been married for something liek 20 years now, which can also be considered something of a rarity in modern hollywood.