OT: Detective Special (new CCW piece)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

OT: Detective Special (new CCW piece)

Post by Streetstar »

later model Det. Special--- just arrived at my FFL today and i picked it up. holster wear at the muzzle and front of the cylinder, but the cylinder turn line is very faint. only prob is the Grips have a hairline crack at the backstrap. Anyone know a decent source for grips that would be a good stock replacement? Originals are up to $100 a pair on GB ( :shock: :? ) and while the gun is in great mechanical condition-- its just not worth spending that kind of cash on a shooter/ CCW piece ---

Bluing actually looks much better than the photo indicates --- the glare and flash makes everything look a bit muddled i guess

----- Doug
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Detective Special (new CCW piece)

Post by JerryB »

That looks like a fine carry gun to me.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

$100!!!! Dang I didn't know they were worth that much! Back in a minute, gotta list mine...

:lol:

Seriously, Acraglas 'em. It is a carry gun. Don't waste ANY money on replacement grips.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

That nice. I can look around for you, my peddlers generally have some old stock laying round
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

If it is going to be a carry piece, do you need original grips? It's a S&W J-frame right? Should be a ton of after-market grips available - at very reasonable prices. Congrats! :mrgreen:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Ysabel Kid wrote:If it is going to be a carry piece, do you need original grips? It's a S&W J-frame right? Should be a ton of after-market grips available - at very reasonable prices. Congrats! :mrgreen:
Jay, the DS takes a different grip. These are not J-frames, Colt or S&W. His is a post 1966 grip frame.

This is my 1972 3" DS with those same design grips. They are pretty good. The gun feels like a little Bulldog.

With rubber shoes...

Next to one of my 3" M36s (a J-frame S&W)

The different D-frame frame shapes...

The gun as I carry it now.

I'll shut up now.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Streetstar wrote:...only prob is the Grips have a hairline crack at the backstrap. Anyone know a decent source for grips that would be a good stock replacement? Originals are up to $100 a pair on GB ( :shock: :? )
Too bad Crimson Trace doesn't make grips for it.
Streetstar wrote:...its just not worth spending that kind of cash on a shooter/ CCW piece ---
It could be argued that a "CCW" piece is worth the BEST, regardless of cost...you hopefully will never need to actually use the piece, but if you do, you want all the 'edge' you can get.

P.S. maybe these would fit, actually...if it is a "J" frame...http://www.crimsontrace.com/Home/Produc ... fault.aspx
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Hobie, thanks for the tip on the Acraglas --- i may do that on this one. That would be perfect since the little gun already has some holster wear. I also like the look of the little boot grip on yours, but the anal retentive side of me would like to find some with a Colt medallion (they gotta be out there --- i have seen so many counterfeit grips for my full size Colts)

AJMD and YK, the little gun is in the same category as the J frame Smith, but the main selling point is the compact Colt is a 6 shot rather than a 5 shot, like the 'Smith. Not sure how close the grip frame is
----- Doug
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

While I've tried several different styles/types of grips on my DS', both older 1st model/long gripframe and 2nd model/short gripframe - I settled on Herret's Shooting Aces, due to my hand ergonomics.

I liked them so much, when I had a Custom Shop Electroless Nickle 2nd Model, that I found a set on E-Bay for my 1965 1st Model for $12.

BTW - EBay has the short-inletted 2nd model grips, usually around $50, sometimes less.

revolvergeek
Levergunner

Post by revolvergeek »

Streetstar wrote:later model Det. Special--- just arrived at my FFL today and i picked it up. holster wear at the muzzle and front of the cylinder, but the cylinder turn line is very faint. only prob is the Grips have a hairline crack at the backstrap. Anyone know a decent source for grips that would be a good stock replacement? Originals are up to $100 a pair on GB ( :shock: :? ) and while the gun is in great mechanical condition-- its just not worth spending that kind of cash on a shooter/ CCW piece ---

Bluing actually looks much better than the photo indicates --- the glare and flash makes everything look a bit muddled i guess

Hobie wrote: This is my 1972 3" DS with those same design grips. They are pretty good. The gun feels like a little Bulldog.

With rubber shoes...

Next to one of my 3" M36s (a J-frame S&W)

The different D-frame frame shapes...

The gun as I carry it now.

I'll shut up now.
Y'all have excellent taste in carry guns! :mrgreen: I had a Corba, a DS and a 2.5 inch .38 Diamondback years ago, and sold them off to friends when they were $200-250 guns and I thought that I could replace them easily in the future! Same for a 2" S&W model 15. :cry:

A friend of mine's mother had a 4 inch bright nickel Viper that I hope to one day trade her out of.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Streetstar wrote:Hobie, thanks for the tip on the Acraglas --- i may do that on this one. That would be perfect since the little gun already has some holster wear. I also like the look of the little boot grip on yours, but the anal retentive side of me would like to find some with a Colt medallion (they gotta be out there --- i have seen so many counterfeit grips for my full size Colts)

AJMD and YK, the little gun is in the same category as the J frame Smith, but the main selling point is the compact Colt is a 6 shot rather than a 5 shot, like the 'Smith. Not sure how close the grip frame is
Those are correct Colt grips, wear, medallions and all...
Sincerely,

Hobie

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Pete44ru wrote:While I've tried several different styles/types of grips on my DS', both older 1st model/long gripframe and 2nd model/short gripframe - I settled on Herret's Shooting Aces, due to my hand ergonomics.

I liked them so much, when I had a Custom Shop Electroless Nickle 2nd Model, that I found a set on E-Bay for my 1965 1st Model for $12.

BTW - EBay has the short-inletted 2nd model grips, usually around $50, sometimes less.

I've got a set of those. They just don't feel right to me.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Triggernosis »

Fill the crack with superglue and don't worry about it. We archers do it all the time on wooden bows and it most always solves the problem.
Tom
Eastern N.C.

NRA Rifle Instructor
4-H Rifle Instructor
HP Service Rifle competitor
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

Hobie, you just had to show them old Colts, didn't ya.............don't ya remember I've been laid off for a long while now!! :P :mrgreen:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Triggernosis wrote:Fill the crack with superglue and don't worry about it. We archers do it all the time on wooden bows and it most always solves the problem.
My thought exactly....take them off and fill from the back, tho, so you don't mar the external finish. Any stock, rifle or handgun, I've fixed that way usually stays fixed.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV