What happened to this place? You guys are slipping!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

What happened to this place? You guys are slipping!

Post by sore shoulder »

I've been gone for months due to school and military training, and I come back yesterday and see some disturbing things right off.

First I saw someone say the .444 shoots flatter than the 45-70, and only person to say anything was Terry Murbach. !!!!!!!?????????
Wow guys, has our education and knowledge of the 45-70 slipped back into the stoneage!!!!!?????

Then I see someone post that the 45-70 400gr wont handle the pressures of 2000fps!!!!!!??????? AND NO ONE SAID A PEEP!!!!!!!!!
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Seriously, I used to put a 405gr from a Guide Gun over 2100fps with NOOOOOO pressure signs. My shoulder hated it, and I later learned it was silly, but wont handle the pressures? Ever hear of a Ruger #1??? 1886????

Seriously, its not the 45-70 cartridge, it can handle the pressures, it doesnt magically change when you put the round in a #1, and the Marlin can handle way more than what most folks give it credit for but instead they go around repeating myths and things like what I read yesterday.

To quote Bestlever, for cryin out loud folks!!!!!!!!!

Good Morning Levergunners. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What happened to this place? You guys are slipping!

Post by kimwcook »

Glad to see you back, sore shoulder. I think. :D
Old Law Dawg
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Welcome back Sore Shoulder.

Even though it is marginal, the .444 DOES shoot flatter. Check out the Handloads Ballistic Calculator. 'Course it's apples vs. oranges as the bullet weights are different.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Well see that is what you get for being gone. :lol:

I think the comment was intended to say that the 400gr 458 bullets wont hold up to that sort of impact velocity.
I wouldn't know I shoot cast at BP velocities.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

:lol: Frank, you came back in a big way!!!!! Welcome home. How's everything?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:D The 405 win shoots further ,flatter, and hits harder than anything you can put in one of those short wasted Marlins, but we've covered all that before..... :mrgreen:
Hello again Frank. :wink:
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Tykempster, over at GBO, is shooting 405gr. Remington bullets using 4320 at greater than 2500fps - out of a 45-120.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Frank,
ya, I do somtimes shoot my Ruger#1 with hot loaded 405gr@2150+ fps.
You are correct,I have never had a issue. I would like to try the punch bullets at that velocity!
Also my little H&R Handi Rifle has fired them with no issues as well!

Someone has to stand up for our beloved 45-70! :mrgreen: You are a good man! :)
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

What's a "45-70"?

Just kidding! Welcome back! :D

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Well, I said the 45-70 "Can't really get a 405 going much over 2000 fps without pressure problems...". I am not referring to the ability of the rifle or the withstanding of the brass, I am referring to the performance and ejection encountered in Africa in high temperatures. That's a fact, in leverguns. Having seen plenty of hot-loaded 45-70's, not all guns will work to perfection when they are loaded up to send 405's over 2000 fps. I added that "most" 405 expanding bullets won't hold up at that velocity, but the great Kodiak, Northfork and some others will. This was all incomparison to the 450/400 that sends its 400gr bullet at 2150 fps with very low pressure and is intended to work in HOT Africa, and everywhere.

So, welcome back - AND be reassured I am still on my game!

Joe
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Welcome back Frank. You've been missed.

I seldom look at posts regarding either the .444 or the .45-70 as I only have one rifle in .45-70 and none in .444.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Bogie35 wrote:What's a "45-70"?

Some guy who was born in 1925, I think.

P

Just kidding! Welcome back! :D

bogie
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Welcome back, Frank!
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Shoot, Frank, I don't respond to statements like those. I figger it's just someone stirring the pot some. Welcome back to the fire, pard. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Fall in, straighten those gig lines - what in the $&$#&^^&* has been going on here - Frank ain't happy, ain't nobody gonna be happy. :D

Sorry I spelled $&$#&^^&* wrong the first time - you will notice I corrected it.
Last edited by Old Savage on Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Welcome back!

i didn't notice folks running down the .445-70 or I'd have kicked up a fuss.

Iffen you was pushing a 405 grain bullet at 2100 fps in a Guide Gun, i know where your handle came from!!!! :?

I used a stout load of IMR 4198 to push a 405 grain cast bullet at an average 2050 fps in my old Guide Gun. it kicked the everliving snot out of me! Granted i had no excessive pressure signs in the brass, it was all in my shoulder.

I don't know enough about the .444 to argue with anyone and am not interested enough in the cartridge t learn more.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!