firewood

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

firewood

Post by mescalero1 »

Talked to the forest service about gathering Aspen for firewood.
Permit good for 60 days
ANY down tree, standing up to 5 inches in diameter,
select locations,
I am jazzed.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Re: firewood

Post by madman4570 »

mescalero1,

Pick a spot that is really a mess with a ton of down stuff.Take some before photos.After you get that area cleaned up nice take some after photo's. Show the Forest Service.You will be good for the next 20 years ??????
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

No aspen around here. Is it a hardwood? Burn good?
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Good, hot , clean, burn.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Madman4570,
I will do that with the pics,
good idea, good publicity.
Thanks.
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

I remember those good ol' days when I was living in Reserve and we would get those forest-service permits. Now, I have to pay a local jobber $360 a cord for oak; cut to length, and thats not hauling or stacking. I guess its cheaper than the gas to go and haul it though considering that eastern nm is a little bare when it comes to firewood.

Glad to hear your doing well with your move. I haven't posted much lately but I have been following most of your posts from time to time. I imagine that you have seen more snow lately than you did in AZ. :lol:
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Morgan in NM,
Although I am a native, I imagine the locals are having second thoughts about me,
I am gone for 30 years, there has been NO significant snowfall for 7 years,
I come home, and we have 40 inches,in three weeks!
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there mescalero1 - Yep, heating with wood is great. Free wood is even better. It's hard to back your butt up to a baseboard heater! I was cutting this year out of a slash pile from a fire just above me last year. Mixed fir, pine, and spruce. Best regards. Wind
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

How does thar fir and spruce burn?
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

I had a steak cooked over coals of oak and madrone. Best steak (beef) I ever ate.
Halfbreed
Levergunner

Post by Halfbreed »

In north central Idaho we burned mainly Tamarack collected from the National Forest.
For all the things that were written aforetime were written for our instruction, that through our endurance and through the comfort from the Scriptures we might have hope. Romans 15:4
All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness. 2Timothy 3:16
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey again mescelaro1 - Fir is one of the best in my opinion. It can get alittle sparky, but I'm using wood stoves so it's mostly a moot point. Tamarack is good to, I just haven't found a source yet. The spruce and hemlock are fine in the small quantities I've burned so far. Pine is fine too, if you keep your draft up to avoid creosote buildup. I hauled 20 trailer loads (about 1/2 chord each) from that pile and it was only six miles away. Pretty easy pickings. Here's another advantage of a wood stove over baseboard heat. Best regards. Wind
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

morgan in nm wrote:I remember those good ol' days when I was living in Reserve and we would get those forest-service permits. Now, I have to pay a local jobber $360 a cord for oak; cut to length, and thats not hauling or stacking.
WOW!! That is 3 times as much as what I charge.
Two seasons ago I was looking at having to buy $1000 worth of firewood. Within 6 miles of me where 3 LARGE tree truncks (9 cord worth) that where too big for my 029 farm boss and aparently to big for anyone else to want to deal with. So instead of paying the $1000 dollars in wood I bought a 065 pro saw and it paid for itself the first season.
It use to be around here that people would even pay you to remove a downed tree, now the tree never even hits the ground before it is cut into firewood.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

WOW...

If it isn't oak or hickory or ash, around here people give it away if you cut and haul it, or if they've cut it, they may sell a pickup-bed ('rick' or about 1/3 to 1/2 cord) full for $20.

If it's oak, hickory or ash, self-cut may be free or $20, and pre-cut $40, for the same amount.

Delivered and stacked maybe $40 for non-premium wood, and $80 for premium, per 'rick'.

We live on a river-bottom, so there is a constant supply of downed cottonwood, boxelder, silver maple, and scrubby elm trees that get pushed over from floods, etc. We do buy some oak on occasion if we can't get free scraps, for the really cold nights.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Oak, apple or cherry, & peach are about the only hardwoods and about $200+/cord. Aspen (softwood) doesn't last very long and goes for $150. My neighbors use aspen and it really stinks

Prefer hardwoods myself.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Is it so costly because of short supply, high demand, or regulations of some sort...?
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

AJMD429 wrote:Is it so costly because of short supply, high demand, or regulations of some sort...?
Locally, the reason its so high(so they say) is because they have to order it from TX and the fuel cost. Around here, the only wood that can be cut is elm which is better than nothing but unfortunately, its going for $250 a cord. I have some nice saws but most people have already spoken for the dead trees. A couple of years ago, I had some sick elms so I turned them into firewood. Let them season a year and the shrinkage killed me for amount. Oh well, its still cheaper than propane.
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

I live outside of Flagstaff, AZ; elevation at my place is 7400 feet. We heat our 2 story log home EXCLUSIVELY with aspen. It's not the best firewood, but it works great. We've got several year's supply on our property in the form of standing dead, large trees. We typically wait for windthrows, then cut 'em up and haul to the splitter near the woodshed. Our groves have been decimated by feeding and rutting elk and several years of drought.

We have about 18-24" of snow here now.

Also, Happy New Year to all Forumites !!
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I burn mostly maple. I get it for a little sweat and effort. My neighbor owns the bush lot behind me and lets me take what I want. I usually burn 11 face cords (4'x8'x16" deep) and 3 cords for my Mom. She is only 89 years old but still likes to keep the wood stove going on cold days. I cut it and split it in the bush and pile it along the end of my lot all summer. (I cut 1 year in advance) Lots of work but can't beat wood heat.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I would like to go back to heating with wood. Yeah, it is work (heats you twice) but you can open the draft and sit in your skivvies without getting icicles on your nether regions. The work is satisfying and it is a good excuse to go outside, too.

I've burned most everything and been known to stop in the middle of the road to pick up what's fallen from somebody else's truck! My great grandma cooked on a wood stove right up until 1967 or so and this in the middle of Braintree, MA. She tired to show me how to use the stove properly but I doubt I remember much she told me. :roll:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Oak, hickory, ash, sugar maple, locust, apple, hackberry, red elm, and mulberry. All great firewood. Osage Orange good too, about as hot as you will get. But you have to burn what is available. Around here we don't have aspen, if we did, wouldn't burn it. Wouldn't be worth the effort as there is alot better wood around. I have never burned conifers. Can really mess a chimney up quick if you are not experienced or don't inspect/clean often.

Looking for a new wood stove, or masonry heater myself. Currently have an enormous masonry see through fireplace that is ducted to both ends of the house and also vented to living room area. Not very efficient, I burn enough wood to heat the entire house, but this set up doesn't heat the entire house. Need to get something more efficient.

Retro fitting my fireplace will be hugely expensive, and I am somewhat limited as to where I can put a wood stove. Trying to get this figured out before next fall. Anyone here have a masonry heater or ever done a "retro-fit"??
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

To me, Aspen smells like cat pee. It's very soft and can make good kindling if used sparingly. Same goes for fir and pine. We have an inexhaustible supply of oak and pear wood from the ranch, so that's all we burn on the rare day when it's cold enough to have a fire. Living in CA does have it's advantages, like a cord of wood lasting a couple of years.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

The little town that I live in regularly gathers up downed trees - particualarly after a storm and chips them up and deposits them in a big pile on the edge of town. This "mulch" is free to anyone that wants it.

I was thinking of building a bin of sorts using hog wire and getting several loads and filling the bin up and putting a top on it to allow the chips to dry out.

How would this burn in a small stove? Anybody else use something like this?
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Here in this country Quakey would be held in pretty low esteem as fire wood. Here it's Red Elm, Ash, Oak, Chinese Elm, Maple and cottonwood in about that order of preference. Cedar is used for aromatic only and the pines are considered too sappy. I had a buddy bring me some aspen from Wyoming and although it burned hot, it burned about as quick as cottonwood. Thhis spring I wil be taking down a 60 foot tall red elm tree 3 1/2 foot across at the base and that will be next winters wood. The tree died 2 years ago and the bark is just startoiing to drop. I have always lived in the woods and can't imagaine paying for fire wood. I usually get paid to remove trees for the townies.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

AJMD429 wrote:WOW...
If it isn't oak or hickory or ash, around here people give it away if you cut and haul it, or if they've cut it, they may sell a pickup-bed ('rick' or about 1/3 to 1/2 cord) full for $20.

Yep, here too---This is about the only thing the East has over the West. More oak, ash, elm, hickory or cherry than you can shake a stick at.

I turn my nose at any pine.------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

[quote="morgan in nm"] I have to pay a local jobber $360 a cord for oak; cut to length, and thats not hauling or stacking. /quote]
$360 a cord! :shock: I feel faint! There would be a lot of freezing folks around here if that was the going price. That and a lot fewer trees!
Cottonwood Mike
Levergunner

Post by Cottonwood Mike »

Hi to all. I'm a long time reader, and a newer member, but have never posted before. Firewood is a subject that I spend a lot of time thinking about, either finding, cutting, splitting, stacking, or hauling. Here in far northern California, oak is the favored wood - blue oak, liveoak, black oak, or valley oak. However I mix it in with digger pine which has a lot of pitch in it and is a really soft wood. It is good for getting a fire started, but will build up inside the flue pipe. So it has to be cleaned out to prevent chimney fires. I mix it with the oak to try to reduce the problem, but I use it since it's available. The politically correct name for digger pine these days is gray pine, but it's still digger pine. By using the woodstove and rarely using the electric furnace I am able to keep my PG& E bill down to a reasonable level. By the way I love lever rifles and need to learn how to post pictures. Glad to be here.

Regards,

Mike
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

I lived in the Cascades of Oregon for 20 years, had access to Old Growth Doug Fir. I've burned Madrone, Oak, Ash, Chinquapin, Cedar, Pine, Alder, Dogwood, and maybe a few more. Of all my favorites, I prefer old growth Douglas Fir, I'm speaking of a tree that was 50 inches at the stump. It's very solid, heavy, and it burns completely up, hardly any ashes. I burned about 8 or 9 cords a year for 20 years, never bought a drop of heating fuel. I wish my "Osage Orange trees around here in Kansas were Fir.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

YEP! Firewood you cut yourself for heating your home is the best kind! IT ALWAYS WARMS YOU TWICE!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

morgan in nm wrote:Around here, the only wood that can be cut is elm which is better than nothing but unfortunately, its going for $250 a cord.
Do you mean you can't cut other species on public land?

Surely if you own the property you can cut whatever you want, can't you...?

sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Just cut up half a cord today, have 4 cords split and stacked, and another couple in logs ready to go, all from Natl Forest permits. Been doing this for 15 years. Dont even turn on the furnace.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

AJMD429 wrote:
morgan in nm wrote:Around here, the only wood that can be cut is elm which is better than nothing but unfortunately, its going for $250 a cord.
Do you mean you can't cut other species on public land?

Surely if you own the property you can cut whatever you want, can't you...?
The thing is that around here, every tree that you see has been planted by human hands or rarely a few birds that have eaten seeds and dropped a few. Back in the beginnings of settlement, this area around me was all plains so people would plant chinese elm or whatever they had so that it would hopefully grow tall enough that folks could find their way home when hunting for supplies. Public land usually don't have any trees at all. If you own the property, you can cut all you want but there intales the problem. I would have to move to Ft. Sumner as its the closest place to find trees along the river. It is kinda interesting if you think about it. Almost everywhere you see a tree around here was somebody's homestead.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Morgan lives over in the eastern part of the state.
Some people call it the high plains.
Flat as a pancake, nothing between there and the Canadian border but a barbed wire fence.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Cottonwood Mike wrote:Hi to all. I'm a long time reader, and a newer member, but have never posted before. Firewood is a subject that I spend a lot of time thinking about, either finding, cutting, splitting, stacking, or hauling. Here in far northern California, oak is the favored wood - blue oak, liveoak, black oak, or valley oak. However I mix it in with digger pine which has a lot of pitch in it and is a really soft wood. It is good for getting a fire started, but will build up inside the flue pipe. So it has to be cleaned out to prevent chimney fires. I mix it with the oak to try to reduce the problem, but I use it since it's available. The politically correct name for digger pine these days is gray pine, but it's still digger pine. By using the woodstove and rarely using the electric furnace I am able to keep my PG& E bill down to a reasonable level. By the way I love lever rifles and need to learn how to post pictures. Glad to be here.

Regards,

Mike
Glad to have you here Mike!

PG&E, oh am I glad I don't have to deal with those folks anymore... :roll:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I burn pellets to heat the house, but I burn wood to heat the garage.

In the last 10 years I think I've bought two cords. I burn about that each
year, and most of it I either harvest on my own land, or pick up by the side
of the road. The power company around these parts will thin/trim trees by
their lines, chip all the brush, and leave the trunks for folks like me. Up north
on logging company land, companies will leave piles of wood free for the taking.
Lots of folks use that "free" wood for heat.

I burn whatever's going - maple, oak, cherry, paplar, birch, beech, ash, pine, spruce,
hemlock, dogwood, etc.. Ash is the nicest to split. Oak heats the best, but is harder
to come by. Beech burns beautifully, and maple isn't bad either. I also burn pallets.
They burn nice - mostly kiln-dried hardwood. The southern yellow pine ones make
GREAT fire-starter. Burn your stove hot enough, and you won't have any trouble
with creosote if your wood is dry. I clean my garage chimney every year (sometimes
two), and I've yet to get more than a gallon jug full of dry, fluffy deposits. I inspect
it at least once a year, and have never seen any creosote.

-Stretch
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Prickly pear. Burns like Madrone but grows like a weed. Hot, clean, plentiful.

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

I've heard it said that fire wood warms you twice and I chuckle. It warms me when I cut it, 1, load it in the truck, 2, unload it at home, 3, split it, 4, stack it, 5, load it onto one of two log carts that I use to roll my firewood into the basement, 6, pull the carts into the basement, 7, load the logs into the wood-stove, 8, enjoy the warmth, 9. Yep. That's good firewood. Heats a long time. :lol: But seriously. We have been heating completely with wood for years now and after doing a little math, I concluded that I put about 10 days and about $50 in gas and oil into all that is required to have a stack of firewood to cover a years heat. I used to put a lot more hours than that into paying a gas bill and the house was never more than 70. Now it is kept above 70 24 hours a day. We used to play the thermostat game every day and night every year to try to cut down on costs. No more. I also use an additional two cords or so to warm the shop. As it stands right now I have enough wood piled up to burn into 2012. It feels good to know the bill's been paid .
This is the living room wood-stove. We use it first thing in the fall until the basement gets too cool. Then we let it go out and start up the bigger one in the basement. Then if it gets cold enough we can fire them both. So far we haven't had it cold enough to need the furnace. Outside the basement is the woodpile and stacks. Someday when funds allow, we plan to roof over the woodpile. until then, tarps. As far as what wood. I burn everything but pine. We tend to burn more popler and softer woods when it's a little warmer out as they burn cooler. Oaks and hardwoods get burnt when it's colder out as they produce more BTUs.
Gobbler. Oh yes, my wife Hilde, and grandson Nate, say hello.
Click Click Boom
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Gobblerforge,
Very nice, way to go.
There IS a feeling of independence that comes along with that.