American-made Redfield scopes are back!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

American-made Redfield scopes are back!

Post by Jeff Quinn »

Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Re: American-made Redfield scopes are back!

Post by Lefty Dude »

Thanks for the review, as always you do a great job. :wink:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I think I want one of them 3x9s with the rangefinder reticule for my Marlin MR-7.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Thanks Jeff I appreciate the time and effort, I have been looking for a redfield for my 99. danny
scarville
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scarville »

Are these are Leupold scopes with the Redfield name on them or is there some non-cosmetic difference?
What most people call a "right" is the equivalent of a dog walking on a leash. Just because your leash is a little longer than the other dogs' does not mean you don't have a master.
doorgunner
Levergunner

Post by doorgunner »

My dad would have been overjoyed, if he was still with us. He dearly loved the old American made Redfield optics. I've always been a Leupold guy, but I'm glad to see Redfield being made back here.
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Good Lord it's about time...how about a new Royal Series? Mounts & rings...new series 80 peeps & some sourdoughs for the front.

LB
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

LeverBob wrote:Good Lord it's about time...how about a new Royal Series? Mounts & rings...new series 80 peeps & some sourdoughs for the front.

LB
LB,

You remember the Marlin Mr-7 I got a couple years ago for my birthday?
I was thinking of getting of these new Redfields for it. Specifically the 3x9x40 with the range finding reticule.
What do think on that?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

This is indeed good news and if you listen to the video at the website linked in Jeff's article they mention a $150 price point. I don't know which model that is in reference to but if these scopes come in at less than $200 I think they're going to be a great value as long as they deliver.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

J Miller wrote:
LeverBob wrote:Good Lord it's about time...how about a new Royal Series? Mounts & rings...new series 80 peeps & some sourdoughs for the front.

LB
LB,

You remember the Marlin Mr-7 I got a couple years ago for my birthday?
I was thinking of getting of these new Redfields for it. Specifically the 3x9x40 with the range finding reticule.
What do think on that?

Excellent choice if it's made in America by Redfield & not someone else. The optics where unsurpassed IMHO. Put one in Redfield mount & rings & you have a world class outfit.

Forward: I stand corrected. It is owned & made by Leupold. If so, I would still buy the scope & use it without reservation. Leupold is first class in my book pards. I'm proud that a fine old American name in optics is being rescued. Kudos to Leupold! :wink:

LB
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

olyinaz wrote:This is indeed good news and if you listen to the video at the website linked in Jeff's article they mention a $150 price point. I don't know which model that is in reference to but if these scopes come in at less than $200 I think they're going to be a great value as long as they deliver.

Best,
Oly
From the Gunblast review:
"They are American made by American workers, but are priced lower than many imports. I usually do not list prices in my reviews, as prices change over the years, but as of this writing, prices on the Redfield Revolution scopes start at just under $130 US. The model shown here with the 50mm objective lens and the Accu-Range reticle is just barely over 200 bucks. That is a lot of quality American-made scope for the money."

The $130 scope is the 2-7x33 with the standard reticle.

Jeff
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Wow. I don't know how they're being offered so cheap, but I'm not gonna complain.

That 2-7x33 model is all a rifleman needs. Glad to see them offering a smaller-objective scope.

Scott
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

That sounds great Jeff. I really look forward to checking out these scopes and certainly do appreciate the report.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
levers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by levers »

It's good to see Redfield back but I'm a little confused as to what Leupold's strategy is here. In the moderate to low end of their product line, they now have VX-3, VX-2, VX-1, Rifleman, and, now, Redfield. What are they trying to accomplish?
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

levers wrote:It's good to see Redfield back but I'm a little confused as to what Leupold's strategy is here. In the moderate to low end of their product line, they now have VX-3, VX-2, VX-1, Rifleman, and, now, Redfield. What are they trying to accomplish?
I am not an expert on these things, but I think that their strategy is to sell more scopes.
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Jeff Quinn wrote:
levers wrote:It's good to see Redfield back but I'm a little confused as to what Leupold's strategy is here. In the moderate to low end of their product line, they now have VX-3, VX-2, VX-1, Rifleman, and, now, Redfield. What are they trying to accomplish?
I am not an expert on these things, but I think that their strategy is to sell more scopes.
:lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

When should we expect to see these on dealers shelves, or at least orderable?

I sure hope they stuck with the original Redfield duplex recticle, and would really be tickled pink if they bring back the widefield.....
Got 2 rifles needing scopes now. Have no more scopes to rob from one rifle to another so this Redfield deal is timed about right? :)
levers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by levers »

That's a good one. But, why add the Redfield line to their existing, and, to me, seemingly crowded, product line? If hitting a lower price point was the objective, what is the purpose of the Rifleman?
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

levers wrote:That's a good one. But, why add the Redfield line to their existing, and, to me, seemingly crowded, product line? If hitting a lower price point was the objective, what is the purpose of the Rifleman?
This gives them a lower-priced scope than the Rifleman line, without cheapening the Leupold brand. The Riflemans start at around $180 or so. The Redfield is 50 bucks cheaper, and a better scope.
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

SWFA has them on the website now.

http://swfa.com/Redfield-Rifle-Scopes-C2839.aspx
colo native
Levergunner 2.0

Post by colo native »

Aw rep told me it was to compete with Nikon...
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

Good luck ordering from SWFA.

Tried them twice and gave up.

Don
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Nazgul wrote:Good luck ordering from SWFA.

Tried them twice and gave up.

Don

Don,
What kind of problems did you have with them?

Joe
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Midway has them listed on the web site, but not instock, coming soon.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Don McDowell wrote:Midway has them listed on the web site, but not instock, coming soon.
I do need a new scope for my MR-7 and have decided that one of these new Redfields will be the one I get. Along with steel bases and rings to replace the aluminum Weaver stuff that's on it now.
I'm not in any hurry though, it will be sometime next year before I can even get serious about it.

Joe
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Joe probably best to bide your time. I'm guessing the first batch out will be snapped up about as fast as they hit the shelves. Next batch a little slower and may get some "sale" prices kicked in.
Go with either the Redfield or Leupold onepiece mounts and rings when you do get the scope.
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Don McDowell wrote:Joe probably best to bide your time. I'm guessing the first batch out will be snapped up about as fast as they hit the shelves. Next batch a little slower and may get some "sale" prices kicked in.
Go with either the Redfield or Leupold onepiece mounts and rings when you do get the scope.
Hey Joe...Don's advice is real sound...wait a little & gain a lot! The mounts & rings are to die for and will complement that gorgeous rifle of yours. As in "Old Style", the way it should be.

Once set up, you should have a death ray in your hands...can't wait to see the pics when you get it done.

When you get ready, I have a ton of killer loads for your Marlin that will bring out the best in your rifle. I bet the boys will chime in with enough data to make your head spin. I've been working with my 06's for over 50 yrs...just scratched the surface & still crazy about it.

Best to you & Mama Miller...

LB
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Does anyone have an idea of pricepoint on these? You can get the VX-1 for less than $200.00. How much less expensive will these be?
colo native
Levergunner 2.0

Post by colo native »

I've seen 2 of these, dont get ya hopes up...
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

buckeyeshooter wrote:Does anyone have an idea of pricepoint on these? You can get the VX-1 for less than $200.00. How much less expensive will these be?
Sort of looking like the street price is going to be 150$ give or take ....
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

colo native wrote:I've seen 2 of these, dont get ya hopes up...
That's kind of an empty comment there, how about elaborating on your thoughts a bit.

Joe
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

LeverBob wrote:
Don McDowell wrote:Joe probably best to bide your time. I'm guessing the first batch out will be snapped up about as fast as they hit the shelves. Next batch a little slower and may get some "sale" prices kicked in.
Hey Joe...Don's advice is real sound...wait a little & gain a lot! The mounts & rings are to die for and will complement that gorgeous rifle of yours. As in "Old Style", the way it should be.

Once set up, you should have a death ray in your hands...can't wait to see the pics when you get it done.

When you get ready, I have a ton of killer loads for your Marlin that will bring out the best in your rifle. I bet the boys will chime in with enough data to make your head spin. I've been working with my 06's for over 50 yrs...just scratched the surface & still crazy about it.
Best to you & Mama Miller...

LB
Guess what LB, you won't need to see pics cos when I get "ready" I'll be out west and I figure we'll be working on it together. I'll post the pics here for everybody else. How's that?

I'm ready now. Rifle currently has a 3-9 x 40 on it and goes bang.
I have some ammo loaded up, but all data is appreciated.
I'm not into a lot of experimenting, but I'll try loads if they have promise.

Joe
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

That's the best news I've heard in ages...can't wait for the move. So many places to hunt, so little time...and you can bet your britches we're going to work on it together.

Target: Elk & Mules in the Kaibab...

LB