Tactial light on lever action

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1971bronco
Levergunner

Tactial light on lever action

Post by 1971bronco »

The pigs have moved in on me and I need to off as many as I can. The problem is they are nocturnal. I need to mount a tactical light with a pressure switch so as to shoot at night. I can't find a way to mount such a light at reasonable cost.
It would seem simple to mount one on the magazine but I haven't found one yet. Any ideas?
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Tactial light on lever action

Post by Warhawk »

I read about this shortly after the SHOT show, seems like a great solution for Texas night hunting (it's legal to hunt hogs, coyotes and other varmints at night here). I'm a little surprised at the cost.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/631618111651.html
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

If you have a scope mounted there are several varmint lights made to mount on to a scope. Maybe you can modify the mount on one to attach to the mag tube.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Welcome 1971 Branco!

Wild West has a light mount. (Bottom of page)
http://www.wildwestguns.com/accessories.html
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

This works on almost any gun and costs only $19.95 - I have one on a pump shotgun now, and have used it on a .45-70 levergun.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/SCP068-6.html

As for the lights, cheap and easy are these two:

1. A THREE-LED AA Mag-Lite - way brighter than the 2-LED ones, and mounts in 1" scope rings cushioned with 1/2" long sections of rubber/plastic hose to fill between the light and the rings. They do sell replacement end-caps with pressure switch/cords I think, but I never bothered.

2. A "Dorcy" 3-watt LED flashlight Meijer sells for $29. Uses 6-AAA's and is brighter than the Maglite - you can spot a black cat in tall grass at night at 75 yards... :twisted:

I wound up preferring the "Dorcy" even though it isn't a "gun" light (and any 30mm diameter 3 watt light should do). Pressure switches I've used seem to be prone to wearing out and getting knocked off, tangled, etc, so I just mount the "Dorcy" in position to hold IT instead of the forestock, with my thumb on the switch. That proves very fast, intuitive, and reliable.

I now use the Dorcy on my 10/22 with a Tapco stock (has weaver rail under the forend), because the flash/noise of a .45-70 was just too blinding/deafening at night, and for coyotes, all I really needed was a .22 LR anyway. On my 10/22, I also put a Bushnell Holosight (a $350 sight on a $200 gun!), and in front of it a flat-type pistol laser sight. That combo is perfect at night, because you can turn down the Bushnell way dimmer than the ordinary red-dot sights, and the little laser gives confirmation with both eyes open.

You could do most all of that on a 'Guide Gun' or similar setup, especially with a 'scout' scope mount. For the forend you could use the Leaper's type mount, or just get a spare wood forestock, and permanently fasten a strip of weaver 'scope base rail' to it for your light.

Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Here in Maine -- ayuh -- we'd use duct tape with appropriate spacers to allow for aiming the light.

You could even use camo duct tape too!

(This is a "serious" reply above -- no kidding!)

Or, on the other end of the $$ scale..

You could use what I used when on a boar hunt over in Bavaria this fall -- a Zeiss scope with a 34mm tube and a HUGE 70mm objective, in 6-24X power. I didn't get to shoot with it (no license), but I did get to look through several times between 9PM and 3AM on a night with little moon and what I could see what just AMAZING!
Zeiss 6-24X 34mm x 70mm (Small).jpg
Of course, it's not cheap...

My host is a pathologist at my company (veterinary products and testing), so he's used to having the highest-quality optics.

Good luck!

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
1971bronco
Levergunner

Post by 1971bronco »

Thanks fellows. I looked at the scope mounted lights at Cabala's on 35W north of Fort Worth but the ones they had used plastic mounts which I didn't think would be satisfactory. Cheaper that Dirt is only five or six miles so I'll go over there and look at their mount and see if there room between the barrel and the magazine for the clamping device to fit. The one from Wild West Guns looks good. Thanks again
BTW I do have some duck tap if all else fails.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Welcome aboard! For a light, Harbor Freight sells several LED flashlights with pressure switches on the base. These would be good if you want a budget solution with one of the Cheaper-than-Dirt mounts. :D
scarville
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scarville »

PVC tape works. :)

If that's too low tech then TacStar makes these

http://www.opticsplanet.net/tacstar-uni ... ounts.html

I've used them to mount a flashlight to the magazine of a Marlin 1894.
What most people call a "right" is the equivalent of a dog walking on a leash. Just because your leash is a little longer than the other dogs' does not mean you don't have a master.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

sounds like a job for duct tape - maybe nestled into the dip at the junction of the mag tube and barrel, and run a wire back to the stock for the switch.

However, I still want someone to mount a light INSIDE the mag tube, facing front. Put some sort of divider in (ok, it would reduce the space available for cartridges, sorry), insert batteries, thread the front to accept a lens assembly, and of course a switch going back to the stock.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

When I used the CheaperThanDirt one, I just mounted it on the barrel-only section of a guide gun. It is fairly thin though, and might be mountable rearward of that.

I like ElChivo's idea of the magazine-tube-mounted one. Seems like you could take a full-length tube on a gun with a short-tube hanger, and the screw/hanger would serve as the original front 'stop' for the cartridges (you'd have to mill the lip off the end-cap). Then that 'empty' part sticking out in front would hold some batteries and a light and/or laser...! 8)
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Or............. get another figure-8 barrel.magazine band, only hang the barrel band portion BELOW the mag tube, secure it with the cross screw insert an appropriately-sized flashlight/maglight, shimmed to size with duct tape as req'd.

I've always called varmints with the light constantly "on", but with the beam/gun pointed skyward until the shot, when the light made the critter's eyes glow nice & red. (I also used a red lens filter)

The side glow, even with the light/gun pointed "up" was enough to pick up "eyes" out there.

MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Having spent years clearing buildings with a weapon mounted light on an M4 carbine, the 6 oclock position tends to leave considerable barrel shadow on the target.

Buy a piece of Picatinny rail from Brownells.com ($20 or so), add an LT606 offset mount from LaRue Tactical mounted "up" (10:30 position), this puts it in line with both your thumb, and lights up the sights.

You have to remove the handguard, and use some washers on the inside of it to make sure it doesn't pull out of the wood, but it will work. I was planning on running this setup on my Marlin before just switching over to my AR-15 carbine which already has a rail system, it's the same setup I ran when I was still clearing buildings for a living. I use a G3 from Surefire among several others, it throws a lot more light than any of the cheapo lights, and will survive recoil.

I used mine last weekend and in dark forest i had good shootable light for 2 other guys using iron sights (I was using an Aimpoint) out to almost 30 yards.
1971bronco
Levergunner

Post by 1971bronco »

You guys have been a great help. Thanks.

My son uses a AR type with a night vision scope which works very good. However, I don't want to put out the $'s that a night vision scope cost so my just tape a sure fire on the side of the Marlin and see how it works. The Marlin has a 2.5 power scope. A concern I have is what the tape will go to the finish. I used plastic tape on the muzzle of my 35 Whelen in Alaska and the tape damaged the finish. Tape is somewhat crude which is not my normal style but it's worth a try considering the cost factor

A local Marlin man, David Clay, offered to silver solder a rail on the magizene for $75.

Of the mounting systems suggested my preference would be the one from Wild West Guns with the second choice being the two piece unit that forms a figure 8 when mounted. It is from, I believe, an optic company.

Thanks again for your thoughts.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

instead of tape, you might try those nylon ties, the ones that ratchet tighter and stay locked.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Is this the "Dorcy" light to which you refer?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

David Clay does excellent work, I would take him up on that offer.
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

1971bronco wrote:The pigs have moved in on me and I need to off as many as I can. The problem is they are nocturnal. I need to mount a tactical light with a pressure switch so as to shoot at night. I can't find a way to mount such a light at reasonable cost.
It would seem simple to mount one on the magazine but I haven't found one yet. Any ideas?
Government thugs prefer night attacks. Sorry for your misfortune.
:lol:
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yes, Hobie, that IS the light I mean. Both of mine (bought at a Meijer) work well. One has a cracked battery-holder (holds 6-AAA's together) but works fine, as you can just insert the batteries, then shove the assembly in either the front or back of the housing (end-cap and front switch/lamp assembly both unscrew easily).

Surely other similar lights would work well, but the 3-watt LED and a good reflector are nice, and the solid 30mm body and good switch made it a winner.

Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

Warhawk wrote:I read about this shortly after the SHOT show, seems like a great solution for Texas night hunting (it's legal to hunt hogs, coyotes and other varmints at night here). I'm a little surprised at the cost.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/631618111651.html
I have one of the ND3 laser designators and think it would work perfect for nighttime hog hunting. The beam can be adjust down very tight and it throws farter than you would care to shoot.

The downside is that the adjustable mount is sized for a 1-inch scope tube (NO 30mm) and for the scope to work well it would need to have red-dot illumination to make the reticle visible. I’ve read comments from others that the light doesn’t spook hogs, but have not tried mine for any hunting yet.
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
Fiddler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Fiddler »

Here's a light that I've always been happy with: http://www.burnhambrothers.com/product. ... ctID=18662
1971bronco
Levergunner

Post by 1971bronco »

The price is certainly right but I'm wondering what you have this light mounted on. Given the price the mounting system must be plastic so how much recoil do you subject it to.
Fiddler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Fiddler »

1971bronco wrote:The price is certainly right but I'm wondering what you have this light mounted on. Given the price the mounting system must be plastic so how much recoil do you subject it to.

I have it mounted on a scope on a .22 rifle. I also own another Burnham Brothers shooting light that I bought in 1978. That one has seen very heavy use and is still going strong.
Don't count on these lights lighting up targets with useable shooting light much past fifty yards, maximum. They use two 9v batteries.
However, they are so lightweight, convenient, and easy to use, that they suit me just fine for shooting coons out of trees and rabbits out of my vegetable garden.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I found an even better light than the 'Dorcy' - 4 watts vs. 3 watts, and much lighter weight. It's a "Duracell 'Daylite' TrueBeam LED Flashlight" - only disadvantage so far I see is it uses two '123' batteries vs. AA's or AAA's or C's, do I don't know the minutes/hours of use per set, and those batteries aren't too cheap, although they are widely available now.

The front part twists from 'flood' to 'spot' but I'll likely just leave it on 'spot'.

The body is 7/8" instead of 30mm, and shorter, so I'll probably use some 1" rings with a segment of plastic or rubber tubing/hose under each ring.

I'll try to post pics and a 'range report' soon.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Found an even better light, at the local Lowe's (lumber/home improvement store) - a "(link) - Coast T7 LED-Lenser" - (Coast brand - http://www.coastportland.com). It is 190 lumens (vs. 70 for the previous Duracell one) which basically means BRIGHT. Larger diameter (30mm rings fit just right) than the Duracell one, but not a heavy light at all. Another nice feature is that it has a 'dim' battery saving mode that means you can use it for ordinary see-where-you're-walking-at-night use without having to have a separate light (the 'bright' mode is simply too intense to use pointed at the ground by your feet, if you expect to have your night-vision at all useful when you're checking gates, or feeders, or whatever chore you're doing).

I like this setup alot - handy, durable, and the .357 Mag has more varmint-potency than a .22 LR, but way less noise and flash than a .223 or similar gun one might desire for 2-legged predator control. Hearing damage isn't something I'm willing to have just to make one less coyote around the farm, or one less chicken-eater in the chicken pen. It is accurate enough that I can go out in pitch black and hit the 8" 100-yd. gong without a problem, or a soda can at 50 yards.

Maybe I need one in .44 Mag, though... :roll:

The other changes I've made is to go to the Burris Fastfire II for the way smaller size vs. the Bushnell Holosight, upgrade from a generic pistol laser to the LaserMax (a vast improvement in staying-in-adjustment, and not turning itself off with recoil), and ditched the 'backup' iron sights (I'm not in a remote area, just the farmstead, so if something breaks, I will just go back home :wink: ).

If I did it over, knowing how compact the Fastfire/LaserMax combo would be, I'd just have used a regular weaver rail on the receiver, I think, although having both controls easily accessable with my left thumb is kind of nice, being forward-mounted like they are now.

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I use a Rem 870 marine magnum for hogs sometimes. For a year or so I used the nylon zip ties mentioned above. With a $30.00 Scorpion light that has a end cap push button, it was a cheap solution that worked really well. I just nestled the light in the groove between barrel and magazine and cinched er up. Would probably work on a lever just as well.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

What Old No. 7 said. 8)

Duct tape, a coupla spacers, and a 3 or 4 cell MagLite.

Play around in your basement to get it pointing where ya want.

Yes, I live in Maine, too. :lol:

-Stretch
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

3 1/2 y.o. thread?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

nemhed wrote:3 1/2 y.o. thread?
I've completed my third levergun with a 'tactical light' since then. . . !

nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

AJMD429 wrote:
nemhed wrote:3 1/2 y.o. thread?
I've completed my third levergun with a 'tactical light' since then. . . !
That's cuz you're the "tacticoolest"! :lol:

My radar goes off when I see an old thread resurrected by a brand new member. I just assume some phishing or something is going on, but I've been wrong once, I think it was back in '88. :wink:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

nemhed wrote:My radar goes off when I see an old thread resurrected by a brand new member. I just assume some phishing or something is going on, but I've been wrong once, I think it was back in '88. :wink:
I think lots of times it is someone doing a 'web search' like maybe "lever action rifle light" or whatever, and finds the old thread that way, then joins the forum and eventually responds to their topic of interest.

Kind of interesting stuff sometimes resurfaces, actually...

FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

IMO spotlights with red filters a a waste of time.

I have a StreamLight TL-3 with a green filter that works very well. They don't get disturbed by the green light unless it's moving around.

Better to use red or green feeder lights and sit in the dark waiting for hogs to get under the feeder.

Better yet, a good night vision scope.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I think I recall this from the past. Funny it showed up again, I've been thinking about a light on a rifle recently. I didn't really want to put a Weaver/Picatinny type base on, they are pretty big. The Ruger ring bases are much more compact, I think I'll use a Ruger base on the side of the magazine tube just ahead of the fore end, likely screw and sweat it on. It won't change the profile any, but a light can mount on it easily in a Ruger ring, of which I have some spares.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Malamute wrote:I think I'll use a Ruger base on the side of the magazine tube just ahead of the fore end, likely screw and sweat it on. It won't change the profile any, but a light can mount on it easily in a Ruger ring, of which I have some spares.
I hope if you do that project you post pictures; sounds cool...!

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

AJMD429 wrote:
Malamute wrote:I think I'll use a Ruger base on the side of the magazine tube just ahead of the fore end, likely screw and sweat it on. It won't change the profile any, but a light can mount on it easily in a Ruger ring, of which I have some spares.
I hope if you do that project you post pictures; sounds cool...!
I posted pics before, but dont recall when/where. May have lost the link also.

Tried to post as attachments, they are too large, and my computer apparently doesnt have a usable program to reduce them. Oh well.

ETA: realized after posting that whoever revived this was a spammer.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

The spammer has been has been zapped... :twisted:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Still a good topic though.... :D