Another talk with the ol' PH

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Another talk with the ol' PH

Post by 86er »

Why didn't you use a big bore rifle?
Doubles were too expensive and heavy. There were no left hand big bores. If something went bad I needed pure instinct to take over. Reaching over the top of a right action rifle was not the answer. I was better off putting a precise bullet where it needed to go and rely on Sanchez with his double, and I trusted him completely.

What's the biggest mistake clients make?
They don't listen and it's usually because they think they know better. I told a guy to sight in dead on at 50 yds. I told him 10 times. He sighted in 3 inches high at 100. He missed twice on that hunt. His fault not mine. Don't bring a certain gun and they do anyway. Don't shoot that one we can do better, they insist and we see a better one on the way back. It goes on and on.

What about the most common mistake clients make?
That is a tie between two things. First, they take too long to shoot. If an animal presents itself, 5 to 10 seconds to aim and get on the trigger is really a lot. More than that is getting ridiculous. What results is an animal walking away for good or a bad shoot taken at the last possible second. The other thing is the guy that brings fresh emotional baggage. It is one thing to take a hunt to relieve personal issues pre-existing. I'm talking about the guy that gets grief from his woman right before he leaves. He shows up angry, with guilt or remorse. This guy can't get his head in the game. Often they want to adjust the hunt to leave early. Sometimes they'll be more interested in getting back to the phone than hunting. If your partner doesn't agree to the hunt and give a blessing then stay home or get a new partner since it isn't really a partnership anyway.

What is the best levergun?
Oh boy I guess you expect to hear Winchester or Marlin. They were the originals that took black powder to nitro and were ingenious enough to last until now with few changes. However, Browning really capitalized on technology when they made their excellent BLR's. They were all made overseas but are good rifles. The best levergun is the Savage 99. Entirely designed from scratch by an engineer, they had the balls to let go of the hammer. It was originally designed as a military rifle just before the turn of the century. Over the years they were made in numerous configurations including calibers specifically designed to work in the rifles. The original design recognized the flat bullet plague of other leverguns and the balance is superb. Its the originality and innovation that lead to versatility and make them the best.

Do you have any cartridge pet peeves?
Not really, there aren't any bad cartridges if they are used as intended. I do have a pet peeve about the 7mm Remington Magnum although it is one of my favorite. Remington really stretched it when they named it a magnum. It is barely better than the old 7X64 Brenekke and the 280 Remington can be hand loaded as fast with most bullets. Also the 444 Marlin. Why did Marlin quit half way? The case is too short to get real decent velocity or, on the other hand just a little too short to use heavier bullets. It should have had a case 2/10 longer or better so it bridged the gap between light thin skinned medium game and heavier thick skinned big game.

What is your favorite bullet?
It depends for what. Across the board I like the Nosler Partition. John Nosler made it in '48 when he couldn't get performance from bullets on moose. It has been continually improved within each caliber based on field reports. If I'm shooting for utmost accuracy or small deer and antelope I like the Sierra Boattails. In 270 and 30 calibers but not the Weatherbys I like the Speer Grand Slam. Don't forget, I haven't shot a rifle in 20 years so maybe something better is out there now but those would be hard to beat.

What is your favorite rifle?
The old Sako Finlandia's made in the '60's. They had the best out of the box trigger and smooth action. The stocks were designed so the gun came straight back in recoil and didn't jump up. I never used one a lot but I do like the Browning BAR's because they all feel and look the same on the shoulder whether they are 243 or 338 magnum. That leads to better shooting because of familiarity and most people are more likely to shoot a second shot or more when called for because they don't have to do anything but pull the trigger.

What is the most important rifle accessory?
Sling with quick release swivels. The sling gets the gun into the hunting area without getting your muscles tired and effecting your shooting. The sling can make the shot steadier. If hunting dangerous game or in thick bush, the sling can be taken off and put around your waist like a belt. When the hunts over the sling can be put over the neck and shoulder to leave your hands free for whatever. The PH and or the tracker doesn't have this luxury and need to stay ready all the time.

If you could wave a magic wand and make all rifleman either do or stop something what would it be? - like stop jerking the trigger for example.
Stop trying to admire the shot. Even if you hit something that drops in its hoof-prints you should get ready to shoot again and keep the sights on it for at least 20-30 seconds. If you shoot and an animal walks, rolls, runs, hops or jumps you should be ready to shoot and back on him in less than two seconds, and shooting again if it is still moving once you are back on it. Animals get away and people get into hairy situations because they don't shoot more than once when they should. Most hunter arent prepared for it I think. Practice shooting small game and even targets twice to get the mindset. On paper, you should know where your shot went even if you can't see the bullet hole. Stay on the rifle and follow through the shot. I'd make everyone stop looking to see what happened and start looking to see what they should do now.

Do you have any tips to shoot better in the field?
I probably have a hundred of them but you just learn them and they come naturally. Visine is great for clearing up eyes and keeping them moist so you can see the sight picture. The same for allergy tablets that are non-drowsy but clear up vision for those suffering from allergies. A hat with a brim like a cowboy hat or baseball cap will cut glare on the sight and make them appear crisp. Earplug - most people will shoot better, especially on second shots if they don't hear the loud crack of the rifle. Use a sling, a rest or sticks. Do whatever you can to steady the rifle very quickly. Get a hard focus on the little spot you want to hit. Your eyes should zoom in on the spot as you being to squeeze the trigger. When you squeeze the trigger, pretend you are pulling the trigger to the tip of your nose. Stay in the rifle. Don't lift your head or move your hands when the gun goes off. As soon as it does fire, bring it under control as if you're about to take another shot.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Re: Another talk with the ol' PH

Post by Doc Hudson »

Excellent!!

Please pester Uncle Jerry with more questions.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Doc Hudson wrote:Excellent!!

Please pester Uncle Jerry with more questions.
+1 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Thanks, great info. :)
wilko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by wilko »

strange.. i just realize that i never realy practiced taking quick follow-up shots...
"there's a man going around, taking names.."
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thats brill, thanks 86er,

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

86er wrote:Why didn't you use a big bore rifle?
Doubles were too expensive and heavy. There were no left hand big bores. If something went bad I needed pure instict to take over. Reaching over the top of a right action rifle was not the answer. I was better off putting a precise bullet where it needed to go and rely on Sanchez with his double, and I trusted him completely.

What's the biggest mistake clients make?
They don't listen and it's usually because they think they know better. I told a guy to sight in dead on at 50 yds. I told him 10 times. He sighted in 3 inches high at 100. He missed twice on that hunt. His fault not mine. Don't bring a certain gun and they do anyway. Don't shoot that one we can do better, they insist and we see a better one on the way back. It goes on and on.

What about the most common mistake clients make?
That is a tie between two things. First, they take too long to shoot. If an animal presents itself, 5 to 10 seconds to aim and get on the trigger is really a lot. More than that is getting ridiculous. What results is an animal walking away for good or a bad shoot taken at the last possible second. The other thing is the guy that brings fresh emotional baggage. It is one thing to take a hunt to relieve personal issues pre-existing. I'm talking about the guy that gets grief from his woman right before he leaves. He shows up angry, with guilt or remorse. This guy can't get his head in the game. Often they want to adjust the hunt to leave early. Sometimes they'll be more interested in getting back to the phone than hunting. If your partner doesn't agree to the hunt and give a blessing then stay home or get a new partner since it isn't really a partnership anyway.

What is the best levergun?
Oh boy I guess you expect to hear Winchester or Marlin. They were the originals that took black powder to nitro and were ingenious enough to last until now with few changes. However, Browning really capitalized on technology when they made their excellent BLR's. They were all made overseas but are good rifles. The best levergun is the Savage 99. Entirely designed from scratch by an engineer, they had the balls to let go of the hammer. It was originally designed as a military rifle just before the turn of the century. Over the years they were made in numerous configurations including calibers specifically designed to work in the rifles. The original design recognized the flat bullet plague of other leverguns and the balance is superb. Its the originality and innovation that lead to versatility and make them the best.

Do you have any cartridge pet peeves?
Not really, there arent any bad cartridges if they are used as intended. I do have a pet peeve about the 7mm Remington Magnum although it is one of my favorite. Remington really stretched it when they named it a magnum. It is barely better than the old 7X64 Brenekke and the 280 Remington can be hand loaded as fast with most bullets. Also the 444 Marlin. Why did Marlin quit half way? The case is too short to get real decent velocity or, on the other hand just a little too short to use heavier bullets. It should have had a case 2/10 longer or better so it bridged the gap between light thin skinned medium game and heavier thick skinned big game.

What is your favorite bullet?
It depends for what. Across the board I like the Nosler Partition. John Nosler made it in '48 when he couldn't get performance from bullets on moose. It has been continually improved within each caliber based on field reports. If I'm shooting for utmost accuracy or small deer and antelope I like the Sierra Boattails. In 270 and 30 calibers but not the Weatherbys I like the Speer Grand Slam. Don't forget, I haven't shot a rifle in 20 years so maybe something better is out there now but those would be hard to beat.

What is your favorite rifle?
The old Sako Finlandia's made in the '60's. They had the best out of the box trigger and smooth action. The stocks were designed so the gun came straight back in recoil and didn't jump up. I never used one a lot but I do like the Browning BAR's because they all feel and look the same on the shoulder whether they are 243 or 338 magnum. That leads to better shooting because of familiarity and most people are more likely to shoot a second shot or more when called for because they don't have to do anything but pull the trigger.

What is the most important rifle accessory?
Sling with quick release swivels. The sling gets the gun into the hunting area without getting your muscles tired and effecting your shooting. The sling can make the shot steadier. If hunting dangerous game or in thick bush, the sling can be taken off and put around your waist like a belt. When the hunts over the sling can be put over the neck and shoulder to leave your hands free for whatever. The PH and or the tracker doesn't have this luxury and need to stay ready all the time.

If you could wave a magic wand and make all rifleman either do or stop something what would it be? - like stop jerking the trigger for example.
Stop trying to admire the shot. Even if you hit something that drops in its hoof-prints you should get ready to shoot again and keep the sights on it for at least 20-30 seconds. If you shoot and an animal walks, rolls, runs, hops or jumps you should be ready to shoot and back on him in less than two seconds, and shooting again if it is still moving once you are back on it. Animals get away and people get into hairy situations because they don't shoot more than once when they should. Most hunter arent prepared for it I think. Practice shooting small game and even targets twice to get the mindset. On paper, you should know where your shot went even if you can't see the bullet hole. Stay on the rifle and follow through the shot. I'd make everyone stop looking to see what happened and start looking to see what they should do now.

Do you have any tips to shoot better in the field?
I probably have a hundred of them but you just learn them and they come naturally. Visine is great for clearing up eyes and keeping them moist so you can see the sight picture. The same for allergy tablets that are non-drowsy but clear up vision for those suffering from allergies. A hat with a brim like a cowboy hat or baseball cap will cut glare on the sight and make them appear crisp. Earplug - most people will shoot better, especially on second shots if they don't hear the loud crack of the rifle. Use a sling, a rest or sticks. Do whatever you can to steady the rifle very quickly. Get a hard focus on the little spot you want to hit. Your eyes should zoom in on the spot as you being to squeeze the trigger. When you squeeze the trigger, pretend you are pulling the trigger to the tip of your nose. Stay in the rifle. Don't lift your head or move your hands when the gun goes off. As soon as it does fire, bring it under control as if you're about to take another shot.
again, thankyou, had the .444 had been originally stretched 2/10" more, would it still function thru a win. 94? it not, i'm glad they didn't
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Great read! I happen to agree on his opinion about leverguns too.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

There's NO voice, like the voice of experience !

Thanks for posting !

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Great stuff. Wisdom speaks.
Old Law Dawg
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I thank you for sharing the information.
It is not the critic who counts
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Don't stop, keep it coming pard! 8) 8) 8)

LB
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

More more more...

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Excellent as always, love this series.

At the range I try to shoot standing up and fire at least two shots before taking the rifle from my shoulder.

All those guys with spotting scopes and all that, sighting in for hunting just look at me funny, lol.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I like these PH threads. Lots of interesting info.
Mike Rintoul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike Rintoul »

Good post, Joe. I think Jerry was one of the real modern day rifleman.
Mike Rintoul
Owner
Grizzly Cartridge Ammunition Company
www.grizzlycartridge.com
Cast Performance Bullet Company
Rainier, Oregon
(503) 556-3006
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Terrific, Joe! Thanks!
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail