Opinions, big bores with straight stock or pistol grip?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Opinions, big bores with straight stock or pistol grip?

Post by nemhed »

I personally love the sleek look of a straight stock, but wonder if there is any benefit in control or recoil management with a pistol grip stock on a big bore lever gun. I've found a deal on a standard Marlin 1895. If I got it I would probably shorten it to Guide Gun spec, but wonder about keeping the pistol grip stock. I notice when shooting my 1894c with its straight stock, my right hand takes a natural cant that would pretty much match the angle of a pistol grip anyway. So I would like to hear everyone's opinion and experiences on the subject. Thanks
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

I heartily agree with your suggestion that the heavy hitters benefit from a pistol-grip stock when it comes to recoil.

Many times have I wished my BB94 .375 Win. was really a BB64. :idea:

scott
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have both and both work fine but I have to say I prefer a pistol grip.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Same here, PG for me.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

RSY wrote:I heartily agree with your suggestion that the heavy hitters benefit from a pistol-grip stock when it comes to recoil.

Many times have I wished my BB94 .375 Win. was really a BB64. :idea:

scott
How's that? Do you think you can hold the gun from kicking you? :lol:
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I have both but prefer the straight stock.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I prefer the straight grip stock for looks and handling, but the OLD Winchester PG's aren't too bad, they were not very tight.

I'd happily trade the pistol grip on my 71 for a straight.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

For actual shooting I prefer pistol grips. For aesthetics, I like straight. That's why you have to have several examples of each. :wink:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I like the straight grip. I like the looks because I like the feel. However, it is the buttplate width, drop, pitch and comb design that really determine how a stock handles recoil.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

TedH wrote:For actual shooting I prefer pistol grips. For aesthetics, I like straight. That's why you have to have several examples of each. :wink:
Ted,
Me too. A pistol grip gives more control. The top silhouette shooters I have seen use pg Model 64's but the look of a straight grip is the one I like. BTW- nice cat you got there---what did you take him down with?-----------------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
edsguns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edsguns »

I own a .444 Marlin with pistol grip, a .450 BLR with straight grip and a .325WSM BLR with pistol grip. They all recoil about the same, I'd say. I prefer the pistol grip look and feel. I also think there's not enough difference in feel that you shouldn't simply buy what looks good to your eye.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Another question then, is your trigger hand subjected to more punishment under heavy recoil with a straight stock versus a pistol grip?
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

I have a Marlin in both straight and pistol grip. Recoil is the same, but I can get faster follow up shots with the piatol grip. The staright grip I need to drop out of my shoulder to cycle
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Hobie wrote:I like the straight grip. I like the looks because I like the feel. However, it is the buttplate width, drop, pitch and comb design that really determine how a stock handles recoil.
I agree, either one can work very well, if everthing else is correct. Too long a length of pull, bothers me more then about anything else, and I don't like a slick buttplate like on the Browning 95 has. I have been thinking about changing mine over to a thin rubber pad or checkered steel buttplate for sometime.
Sharptop
Levergunner

Post by Sharptop »

I love the straight grip. On shotguns and rifles. I find I have much better "feel" or connection to the gun for putting it up into firing position.

The last two years I've had occasion to shoot fast running deer with my Marlin 1894 SS .44 mag. Both times I killed the deer but could not remember exactly how many shots I fired. The cycling took place almost as an automation, it did not enter my awareness at all.

So I like the straight or English stock, as shotguns are referred to.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I like the look of the straight stock but IMO there is no arguing the superior recoil handling abilities of the pistol grip. 1886.
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

I prefer the pistol grip for the heavy hitters as I feel it helps me deal with the recoil better, but prefer the straight grip for the pistol calibers. The straight is quicker handling for me.
Well done is better than well said.
old goat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by old goat »

...In the straight grip vs. pistol grip, for whatever reason, I prefer the straight grip. Stocks with pistol grips do not handle well for me.

...I really cannot see how the pistol grip would help with recoil. To each their own! :roll:

...The reason both styles are made, is because "one size (style) does NOT fit all".

...old goat
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

A straight stock on a lever gun just looks right!!! :D
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

I have both, and the only difference I feel is before I pull the trigger. The pistol grip deludes me into thinking it's better, because it feels, well, like a pistol. There is absolutely no difference in felt recoil, or in follow up speed, as I hold the rifle to my shoulder using the forearm when I cycle the action.
nralover
Levergunner 2.0

Post by nralover »

I prefer a straight grip, more for looks than function, but I do feel it is slightly more comfortable as well.
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

Have both, like both.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I like the looks of the straight wrist best, but the pistol grip is more controllable under recoil.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~