Best single gun a person could buy?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
OI phones in...
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Best single gun a person could buy?

Post by OI phones in... »

A removable-choke Drilling in 12x12x.308

If I could still keep my SP101 too it would be a 12x12x.358 Win with a .357/.38 Chamber liner.
I'm away from my computer right now, but if you will leave a message, I still have my Geek Tools...

GOT GUN? Get T-Shirt!! Stand up & fight Prohibition!
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I would pick a gun for personal protection before any other considerations.
I would also consider the likelihood of increasing restrictions on firearms ownership and use.
I think that, considering the current political climate, the days of unrestricted ownership of handguns and semi auto rifles may pass much more quickly than anyone could imagine.

A good quality .44 mag or .357 mag levergun would fill the requirements neatly, and perhaps fly under the radar of the gun grabbers for a while.

I recall that someone has recently offered a M92 take down rifle. Something like this could be handy for discrete transport and storage.

Jack
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

J Miller wrote:
.22 RF Rifle

With that I can hunt with, play with, use as a defense weapon, and if TSHTF I can use it to acquire a battle rifle.

Joe

Gee, that thought never entered my head. It looks like I'd need a realignment in my thinking if ever TSHTF. Joe you master, me grasshopper.

Bob in NE Indiana
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

At the risk of being flogged and excommunicated......(don bullet proof underwear and enter bunker) an AR15.

5.56 upper for SD with a .22lr conversion kit for small game, plinking and training
6.5 Grendel upper for light to medium game
.50 Beowolf upper for heavy game

I know, I know...but you asked.

Rob

If I can't have that I'd probably stick wth my B92 in .357 or a 62a Winchester...with a suppressor. :lol:
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
OI phones in...
Levergunner 2.0

firefuzz wrote:If I can't have that I'd probably stick wth my B92 in .357 or a 62a Winchester...with a suppressor. :lol:
Ans since a 92 in .357 is far easier to suppress... it's not a bad choice. But I still think, for the same reason the Austrians did/do, that a Drilling (or Vierling... put a .22 rimfire tube on top of a 12x12x.358W) would be the "best" non combat single reciever long arm available...
I'm away from my computer right now, but if you will leave a message, I still have my Geek Tools...

DarryH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DarryH »

EASY!!

Remington Model 870, 12 gauge, 3" chamber
26" barrel with choke tubes,
20 iron sighted barrel for slugs.
18" barrel and an add-on pistol grip.

One gun that can do anything.

Good Shootin!!
DarryH
Nebraska
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

DarryH wrote:EASY!!

Remington Model 870, 12 gauge, 3" chamber
26" barrel with choke tubes,
20 iron sighted barrel for slugs.
18" barrel and an add-on pistol grip.

One gun that can do anything.

Good Shootin!!
DarryH
Nebraska
Here, here pard...my choice exactly!

LB
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Taking the OP literally at "one," I'd have to +1 on the self-defense (focus) including something you can carry (CC or open) as a practical component...my choice S&W 65 , more specifically pre lock Lady Smith = unique combo of low glare satin stainless, full lug, CC'able 3"/fixed sight, fabled K mid-frame. With modern 140-158s, the caution vs the hot 125s not really an issue (to me) these days, most of the time and indoors SD shoot warm .38s, ...and if you can sneak up close enough you can take mulie with one! That last item is being a bit facetious, but I can't think of a better combination otherwise. I was so tempted to pick a 92 lever in same (357) or 44, or a 94 in 30-30 (or a shotgun, AR, Mini, M-1 Carbine etc), but awfully hard to "carry" such outside the home other than in a hunting setting..and therefore hard to have any long gun as THE "one.".For this reason, I would understand why someone might pick a nice 1911, Glock, HK, XD40/45 or such as well, especially for (most of) their capacity advantages. And I have and enjoy one of this ilk; just find daily "charm" greater with the Smith revolver. Though not as carryable, I would +1 the .44 Special Lipseys Ruger BH/FT as well. What a gun, and in a favorite caliber.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Old Savage wrote:El Chi, that was Hobie's answer. I got the question from one of his blog topics. Wanted to see what everyone thought and how long until someone hit on his answer.
I was pretty stunned that the thread was going on and on and nobody stuck up for it.

I think that model is excellent for being medium in all respects, plus handy, easy to tear down, etc.

You can even get shotshells for it. It was my first gun and will probably be the one they pry from my cold, dead fingers.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

DBW wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:for DBW . . .

I think when bad times I'll be going with my brace of .357s, my 92 and Ruger SP101.
In my case it would be a Marlin 1894c, S&W 60-9 and/or Ruger .357 Speed Six short barrel.
On the other hand, for a single weapon it would be either a Ruger M77RSI in .308 or Win 94 with scout scope setup. YMMV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

firefuzz wrote:5.56 upper for SD with a .22lr conversion kit for small game, plinking and training
6.5 Grendel upper for light to medium game
.50 Beowolf upper for heavy game
Actually, kind of a good idea. Only 'issues' would be that you DO have to have decent ammo since it is a gas-gun, and you would have to 'go underground' or head for the hills (or start shooting back) when the gun-grabbers come for the EBR's.

They're coming for them all in the next year or two anyhow, I expect... :evil:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

horsesoldier03 wrote:I am still sticking with my Marlin 336C in 30-30 . . . I took it out today and shot it with iron sights at 100 yrds and kept 3 shots all in a 4" bullseye.
8) 8) 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
OI phones in...
Levergunner 2.0

AJMD429 wrote:I like soon 2 retire's answer. I always thought someone could make a double-barrel breakopen with chamber/barrel inserts that would allow a huge variety of choices. How COOL to have a 12 gauge beside a .45-70 on Monday, a 12 gauge beside a .32-20 on Tuesday, and a .308 beside a .22 LR on Wednesday.

No reason it couldn't be done, and with set-screws and o-rings, could be 'regulated' for reasonably precise shooting.
Kreighoff does. Be prepared to drop 5 figures though.

If we are talking TEOTWAWKI, then I already have my 2 gun .357 combo. But if we are talking general survival/hunting/etc then I still say Drilling/Vierling.

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I suppose a shotgun makes the most sense as the best all-around gun for almost anything. If it were a rifle, in spite of all those obsolete calibers I like so much, I think I'd go with a 30-30 carbine. If I'm going somewhere and I'm not sure if I will need a gun, or what I might need it for, it's my 30-30 that I bring. I bring it on wilderness canoeing trips, and I bring it on car trips. It is light, compact, fast, and enough gun for anything I'm likely to encounter.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

For me it would be my Handi/Rifle combination. 12 ga, 44 mag. & .308.
This package will do it all.
All barrels wear Iron sights, the .308 has a 2-6 variable compact scope. With the scope detached from the scope rail Rear iron sight is visable over the rail.
12 ga. barrel is 3 1/2" chambered & threaded for choke tubes.

I love my Lever guns, pistols, revolvers, 22's, & SXS, pump SG's. But with the above, would be my first & best choice.

For a single FA selection, Shotguns Rule.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

I've been reading everyone's posts, and trying to pick just one Levergun & revolver combination.

Then I realized that, hey, I did basically store my own guns a few months ago. So what did I keep with me to live my life here in town? A 5" 1911/45, a 2" J frame, and a M94 Trapper/ 45 Long Colt. Can't carry the 16" Lever into the grocery store, so the pistols are what I take when leaving home.

Guess this means if I had to choose just two, the 1911 & the J frame would be (actually are) my choices. Hah! No matter how much I like my Levers, the Garand, and some pistols, this is what I actually kept when everything else more or less became unavailable. Nothing like real life slapping me upside my head to wake me up.
Last edited by Poohgyrr on Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

The Katrina scenario of societal breakdown and survival is always the first one I think about when I consider being given only the choice of one or two firearms - thus my choice of the .30-30 with a scoped sight. Katrina was real, not theoretical friendly fireside discussion, or wild-eyed projections by some extreme survivalist. And law enforcement not only abandoned the citizens - they forcibly took away their guns at the behest of some airhead politician in charge.

Verified news accounts and stories documented how roving bands of heavily armed robbers in patrolling pickup trucks were held at bay by a few sharpshooters with rifles, and chose to victimize others. A shotgun response would have allowed them to get too close and overwhelm their prey with possibly fatal results; and perhaps they did.

For food harvesting, all of the close shots would soon be exhausted as the game, cats, dogs, or whatever would soon get leery of human hunters - whether in the city or in the woods crowded with refugees who might flee there for safety and foraging.

I have thought about this frequently, and indeed have made plans for three firearms (the third choice being my 12 gauge pump shotgun for bird hunting). But now, given a choice of two firearms:
.30-30 scoped levergun (lightweight, rugged, fast firing and reasonably potent)
.44 Magnum DA wheelgun (Powerful, very portable, quickly concealable from not-so-helpful "authorities" knocking at your door - or invading your campsite).
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

For your caliber choice, one must consider availability of ammunition you can buy, beg, borrow or steal. 22's, 12 ga, 20 ga, 44 mag, 30-30, 30-06, .308, .223, 9MM, etc. 45 colt ? 45ACP ? 303 britt. ? .243 ? .270 ?

Your choice :wink:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

The Katrina scenario of societal breakdown and survival is always the first one I think about when I consider being given only the choice of one or two firearms -
Right, and we've had two big riots here, like the rodney king riots, and I believe fewer issues during a couple of earthquakes. They suspended ammo sales each time.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

Lefty Dude wrote:For your caliber choice, one must consider availability of ammunition you can buy, beg, borrow or steal. 22's, 12 ga, 20 ga, 44 mag, 30-30, 30-06, .308, .223, 9MM, etc. 45 colt ? 45ACP ? 303 britt. ? .243 ? .270 ?

Your choice :wink:
True. Which caliber is one used by the military? As mentioned, a .22LR will take out the opposition which provides you a new toy with a decent supply of ammo provided you're able to take their supply from whatever convoy or storage facility they have.

I guess I'm jaded into looking at the issue from the perspective of "us" vs. tyrants in power.
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Ya know, I've heard this idea of guerrilla warfare a few times on this site, now - using a popgun to drop a bad guy and take his boomer. And it sounds pretty sensible.

But what I have learned in the real life experience of Katrina is that marauders never came close enough, nor alone, for you to ambush them and take their firearm. And a misguided military or paramilitary force would be no different. The world has learned to "buddy up." As a historical footnote, I have read about the .45 ACP single shot Liberator that was dropped behind the lines for the Resistance. Everything I have read has said that there is no documented history of its ever being effectively used; although there may have been one or two instances that were not recorded. It's just not that easy to sneak up on an enemy combatant unless you are already equipped and trained.

No, for me, I want something that will "reach out and touch someone" in a defense scenario; or come from concealment to be brought quickly into play without malfunction (a DA revolver) when surprised. The .30 caliber rifle or carbine (and the .30-30 fills the bill perfectly) with a 44 Mag backup makes a lot more sense to me.
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

OS....if limited to one then it would be a Remington 870 12 mag with medium length barrel. If allowed an additional it would be a S & W Model 17 or 18 .22 LR........(you know this kinda post/topic makes me wonder why I've got some of what I've got.....but like my little brothers says "Got way more than I need but not as much as I want")........

jumbeaux
bobbyjack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bobbyjack »

Any thing John Moses Browning designed ,guess that would the Winchester mod 1897 with just one turn on the adjustment sleave! And lots of OObuck and slugs!

Bob
ab4ka
Levergunner 1.0

Post by ab4ka »

if I could only have one, it's likely that the poopy has hit the fan, and I'm going with a 12 gauge pump with a folding stock. Around here it wouldn't so much be a problem with riots/gangs, but obtaining food and that would handle everything pretty well depending on what it was loaded with. It's also a great defender if the need arose.
a357lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by a357lever »

short barrel pump 12ga best for hunting, defense, survival. i like mossberg 590, but one gun? :wink:
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

bobbyjack wrote:Any thing John Moses Browning designed ,guess that would the Winchester mod 1897 with just one turn on the adjustment sleave! And lots of OObuck and slugs!

Bob
Yep that works and I already have one in the safe. I would have to back it up with my .223 bolt gun since that round is what the Gov uses it will be around when I need it.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
a357lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by a357lever »

They also use 9mm, 7.62, 50bmg, and 12ga copper plated 00' buck so go with 5 and, a 40sw cause 80% police deps use them lots of ammo for any of these, but he did say a single gun :?: :lol: