need some answers fast... 1894 cb/cbc 45 colt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
redeux
Levergunner

need some answers fast... 1894 cb/cbc 45 colt

Post by redeux »

ordered an 1894 cbc 45 colt , received an 1894cb 45 colt , crappy stock fit , glass showing in the tang , fore-end has waves in the top , no D&T for tang sight , marlin website kaput and their phone doesn't answer ...
no catalog handy to find out if correct gun exsists and all the online dealers - wholesalers sites refuse to display correctly on my dealers computer...
i'm about ready to give up entirely on american products , this is an over $800.00 rifle that looks like it was assembled by a crackhead...
i don't trust rossi or the italians to deliver a quality product anymore based on what i've seen a local shows ... whats left ?
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Just tried their website, came right up.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Hobie

Re: need some answers fast... 1894 cb/cbc 45 colt

Post by Hobie »

redeux wrote:ordered an 1894 cbc 45 colt , received an 1894cb 45 colt , crappy stock fit , glass showing in the tang , fore-end has waves in the top , no D&T for tang sight , marlin website kaput and their phone doesn't answer ...
no catalog handy to find out if correct gun exsists and all the online dealers - wholesalers sites refuse to display correctly on my dealers computer...
i'm about ready to give up entirely on american products , this is an over $800.00 rifle that looks like it was assembled by a crackhead...
i don't trust rossi or the italians to deliver a quality product anymore based on what i've seen a local shows ... whats left ?
This is a photo of the currently shown 1894 Cowboy available in .45 Colt.

This is Marlin's contact information:
Send Mail to:
Marlin Firearms
PO Box 248
North Haven CT 06473-0905

Send Product to (for returns/repair):
Marlin Firearms
100 Kenna Drive
North Haven CT 06473

By Phone:
Main Switchboard: (203) 239-5621
Gun Service (800) 544-8892

And these are the specs from the website:

Caliber 45 Colt, 357 Mag. / 38 Spl.*, or 44 Mag. / 44Spl.
Capacity 10-shot tubular magazine
Action Lever action with squared finger lever; side ejection; deeply blued metal surfaces; solid top receiver; hammer block safety.
Stock American black walnut straight-grip stock; hard rubber butt plate; tough Mar-Shield® finish; blued steel fore-end cap.
Barrel Tapered octagon with deep-cut Ballard-type rifling (6 grooves).
Twist Rate 45 Colt - 1:16" r.h.
357 Mag. / 38 Spl. - 1:16" r.h.
44 Mag. / 44 Spl. - 1:38" r.h.

Sights Adjustable Marble semi-buckhorn rear, Marble carbine front sight. Solid top receiver tapped for scope mount; offset hammer spur (right or left hand) for scope use. Serial number is on left side of receiver instead of tang, allowing custom installation of a tang sight by a competent gunsmith.
Overall Length 37.5"
Weight 6.5 lbs.
Owner's Manual Download Owner's Manual

If you don't like something about your gun, you call them and send it back.

PS I see that prices are about $763.17 less NICS ($2 here).
Last edited by Hobie on Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

redux,

I don't know what phone number you've tried but the Marlin # I've used is: 1-800-544-8892 .
I've had to wait several times while their personell handle other calls, but I've always gotten through. They close at 4:00 EST.

I just opened their web site on another tab: http://marlin.resultsbuilder.com/

The 1894 CB was the 24" barreled cowboy if I remember my numbers right.
The 1894 CBC was the 20" Cowboy Competition model.

None of them are drilled for a tang sight, all Marlin did was move the serial # to the side so you could drill it without damaging the number.

Everyone makes a stinker occasionally. Just be patient and keep trying to contact Marlin. However, first I'd have the dealer that ordered it for you get in contact with his supplier. They are responsible for the defects, not you.

Darn Hobie, you got that computer on speedy or zippy settings today? I must be getting slow.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

J Miller wrote:Darn Hobie, you got that computer on speedy or zippy settings today? I must be getting slow.

Joe
:lol: I'm at "work" and able to closely monitor the forum. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Ahhh, I see said the blind man.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
redeux
Levergunner

update...

Post by redeux »

the website came right up on my comp just now ...
b4 it was down for maintaince...
i guess all they make now is the CB and the 'big5' lowball guns ...
the wood was very nice nice but looked like it was fitted by a crackhead , glass oozing up out of the tang , waves in the fore-end , just NOT acceptable on a gun with an over $800.00 retail...
i guess nobody give a damm in this country how they do things anymore ... if'n it was my factory , the person who butchered that wood would be calling a proctologist after reporting for work monday...

i am tempted to give up and just order a CZ bolt action , they have NEVER shipped me a bad gun in all the years i have bought their stuff...

i was thinking of getting back into cas , but i'm beginning to feel its just not worth the effort anymore...
btw both my ruger NV's need the cylinders reamed as they are too undersized to pass a .451 bullet , i guess all american made guns are a joke anymore ...
the previous old vaquero 45 colt had .449 chamber mouths and short chambers , it kicked like a 44 mag when we shot some cowboy loads in it ...
i had to completely ream all the chambers to arrive at a gun that was shootable...
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Shouldn't be any "glass" oozing out of anything on a factory gun. Return it.

FWIW, my New Vaquero throats were about perfect...
Sincerely,

Hobie

redeux
Levergunner

Post by redeux »

PS I see that prices are about $763.17 less NICS ($2 here).

davidsons says the MSRP is $822.00 ...

i have received so much stuff in the last 5 years from big name gun co's that i am losing intrest in even trying anymore ...
9 of the last 13 1911's thru my dealers door had really major problems , i got 3 grossly defective S&W revolvers in just the last year (no more S&W's ever )...
my CZ's come thru perfect , my H&K's are flawless out of the box...
wth is wrong with this country that they can ship such stuff and tell you its acceptable (as ruger does all the time, or so i have been informed)...
rant over (4 now)
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

I've been trying to get Marlin all day to order a couple of ejector springs. I just get a fax tone. JM and Hobbie are correct. The CB is the 20". The cbc has been like a special edition with a 24 inch barrell. They only produce this on limited bases. I haven't seen any new for over a year. A might be wrong though. I have a 94cb 20". I love it. It's a great rifle.

oops, just went back and read JM reply. He has it different than what I just wrote. Anyway I have a 1894 cb, it has a 20" barrell. A year ago I tried to order a 1894 cbc which is the 24" and I was told it was out of production.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Re: need some answers fast... 1894 cb/cbc 45 colt

Post by Haycock »

redeux wrote:ordered an 1894 cbc 45 colt , received an 1894cb 45 colt , crappy stock fit , glass showing in the tang , fore-end has waves in the top , no D&T for tang sight , marlin website kaput and their phone doesn't answer ...
Sadly, I think the quality of what Marlin is shipping today is sometimes pretty bad. No doubt the majority of guns going out the factory door are great, but I had the same experience as redeux re: my surprise at the poor quality of one of their rifles at Cabelas 2 weeks ago. I handled two brand new 1894CS carbines and a brand new 39AS rifle, and both of the 1894CS' had major, major flaws.

The rear of the bolt on the 1894CS was so poorly fit that not only was it NOT flush with the receiver, but it would hurt your hand if you grabbed it the wrong way. My early model 1894C carbines are not like that, their bolts are perfectly flush with the receiver. Also, the mag-tubes on both were askew relative to the barrel (again... not a little) and one of them came with the front sight only halfway seated in the dovetail (which was what I originally noticed, before I looked closer, found the other two problems, asked to see another one, then finally walked away in disgust when it was the same way).

Sad......... very sad.
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. - PA State Constitution
redeux
Levergunner

Post by redeux »

thanks for everyones help...

as posted on another forum...)

turned out to be a cb-l ?
very nice pieces of wood , but very poorly fit ...
it goes back to the wholesaler monday...
i give up on american firearms , no more , ever again ...
all i get is stuff...
consigned one of the ruger NV's , kept the other ...
the shotgun goes out on consignment tomorrow...
will be replacing rifle and shotgun with CZ products ...
BruceB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BruceB »

redeux wrote: i have received so much stuff in the last 5 years from big name gun co's that i am losing intrest in even trying anymore ...
9 of the last 13 1911's thru my dealers door had really major problems , i got 3 grossly defective S&W revolvers in just the last year (no more S&W's ever )...
Specifics please. What do you consider to be "major problems" and "grossly defective"?
GOD SAVE THE UNITED STATES!

Original member of Leverguns.com forum

NRA Life Member

Boy, what a mess them .45's make.

When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

It sounds like you're suffering from FUBAR Dealer syndrome, wherein a gun dealer has pure-ly teed-off his wholesaler(s), and (as a result) only gets the scrapings from the bottom of the barrel, and other dealer's "returns", as new deliveries.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Although I don't like Marlin's for purely asthetic reasons, I believe them to be one of the better arms manufacturer's in the world, exact feelings I have towards Ruger, BTW.

It doesn't make a hill of beans over manufacturer, model, industry, or however you wish to categorize things, ALL of them will produce and let a lemon or two slip out the door and fall in the hands of the buying public.

I've seen a couple posts on here where buyers have had issues with a new Marlin, only to have it returned to the factory and corrected, or even replaced. I would contact Marlin directly, let them offer corrective measures, skip the middleman, something is almost ALWAYS lost in the transfer of information. See jdad's post here.

Good Luck, and keep us informed. By the way, pictures are ALWAYS welcome to demonstrate both the good and bad of things.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

FWIW, I handle Marlins in stores pretty regularly and I'd say 95% of the ones I look at are very good to excellent. Seen only a couple that shouldn't have been shipped by the factory or displayed by the store. No problems at all with the two that I own. :D
Have you hugged your rifle today?
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I wonder if Pete44ru isn't on to something(dealer syndrome). I bought lots of new guns in my life and never had a problem until I bought one at Gander Mountian and one at a "low ball" dealer.
Anyone else ever see this happen. ? Jim.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I've been saying it years. I have LOTS of experience with Marlins--both past and present and sadly to say, modern Marlins are junk. You might get a good one from time to time but to me, there is an unacceptable percentage that are well, unacceptable. Their new 308 Express rifles are nice, but like you said, if you are gonna pay 8 C-notes for a gun, you want it at least acceptable.

Now, a little common sense here boys, we all know there has to be a Marlin rep. amongst us here, along with other reps from other levergun companies that are here incognito. Listen up-------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The mention of "oozing" glass bedding is a giveaway that either the gun was not new from Marlin or that something was not correctly interpreted by the buyer. That is NOT how they fit their stocks. I have NEVER heard of a repair from them using glass bedding of the levergun stocks. Might have had a little puddle/bubble of marshield, I've seen that.
Sincerely,

Hobie