misfire 336w

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mikeroy
Levergunner

misfire 336w

Post by Mikeroy »

Hey all thanks for the forum lots a good pics and info i have a 2006 marlin 3336 w bought it used one other owner it misfires occassionally looked around on the net seems to be the two piece firing pin it wasnt dirty but i cleaned it good it seems to make sense that back f/p might not always align the good people at Marlin said it was still under warranty to send it i was wonderin how common this is in the bolt/safety system thanks Mike
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: misfire 336w

Post by Terry Murbach »

USUALLY, IT IS THE LACK OF PUNCTUATION ON THE PART OF THE FIRING PIN.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Mikeroy wrote:Hey all thanks for the forum lots a good pics and info i have a 2006 marlin 3336 w bought it used one other owner it misfires occassionally looked around on the net seems to be the two piece firing pin it wasnt dirty but i cleaned it good it seems to make sense that back f/p might not always align the good people at Marlin said it was still under warranty to send it i was wonderin how common this is in the bolt/safety system thanks Mike
I had it happen on my 1894 Cowboy. The culprit was the relief area that surrounds and pushes up the rear firing pin. It had not been fitted properly and when the bolt was fully up, it was binding the firing pin.
mar1894c_cropped.gif
I relieved the area indicated by the arrow in very tiny increments until the binding was alleviated.
I was told by forum members then that this problem was rare but did happen occasionally.
No problems now.

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Terry Murbach wrote:USUALLY, IT IS THE LACK OF PUNCTUATION ON THE PART OF THE FIRING PIN.
:lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Sometimes all caps does it, too.

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Hobie wrote:
Terry Murbach wrote:USUALLY, IT IS THE LACK OF PUNCTUATION ON THE PART OF THE FIRING PIN.
:lol:
me too. laughed out loud, thanks terry.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

pharmseller wrote:Sometimes all caps does it, too.

NO DOUBT ABOUT IT !!!
P
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the Fire !!! :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

:lol: :lol:

I just love run-on sentences. It's like a puzzle; where does one thought end and the next begin.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

COSteve wrote:
:lol: :lol:

I just love run-on sentences. It's like a puzzle; where does one thought end and the next begin.
Whaddaya mean -- "end...?"

:o :o :o :o :o

Just funnin', son...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Mikeroy wrote:Hey all thanks for the forum lots a good pics and info i have a 2006 marlin 3336 w bought it used one other owner it misfires occassionally looked around on the net seems to be the two piece firing pin it wasnt dirty but i cleaned it good it seems to make sense that back f/p might not always align the good people at Marlin said it was still under warranty to send it i was wonderin how common this is in the bolt/safety system thanks Mike
I'll make an attempt to translate:

Hey all! Thanks for the forum. It has lots of good pictures and information.

I have a 2006 Marlin 336W that I bought used from the original owner. It misfires occasionally, so I looked around the internet for a solution and found that it could be caused by a dirty firing pin. That makes sense because dirt could cause the two piece firing pin to be misaligned. The firing pin did not appear to be dirty, but I cleaned it anyway.

Even after cleaning the firing pin it continued to misfire, so I called the good people at Marlin. They said I should send it back to them for repair since the rifle was still under warranty.

Are misfires caused by the two piece firing pin a common issue with the Marlin 336?

Mike,

Welcome to the forum. You'll find some of the most knowledgeable and friendly folks around regarding lever guns and lots of other things. If you read the posts you'll find we are a pretty down to earth bunch, but we do appreciate clear, concise, and readable posts.

I don't know your age, but I will guess that you are a young man, probably twenty something. I read a variety of internet forums and I find that more recent high school graduates tend to have the least regard for proper syntax, punctuation, and grammar. I can only conclude that the current crop of English teachers are nothing like the ones I had in high school. :P

You write in what I call a "stream of consciousness" style with no punctuation and I am sure you know exactly what you meant to say. It is difficult, however, for the reader to know what you meant because he can't tell when you stopped one thought and began another. If you read your post aloud without taking a breath (because there is no punctuation), you will see what I mean. The rules for the proper way to write the English language are there for the benefit of both the writer and the reader.

Don't take this criticism to mean that you are not welcome here, because you are. It will just make it easier for us to understand what you say if you take a little more care in how you compose your thoughts.

Regarding your problem, I assume you are getting light strikes on the primer. I have an older 336 in .35 Remington that had this same problem. I fixed it by replacing the two piece firing pin. There is a replacement one piece firing pin available, but it may not be as safe as the two piece pin. I am sure there are others on this forum who have experience with the one piece firing pin that will chime in.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Replacing the two piece firing pin with a one piece has its pro's & con's.
The two piece is part of several safety features Marlin has adopted since they released the first model, many years ago. If you are a novice shooting Lever Guns my advice would be, stay with the two piece firing pin.

My Marlin's all have the one piece pin.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I am not a novice and my Marlin retains it's two piece firing pin. It is a safety feature that only needs to be kept reasonably clean to work.

No need at all to replace it with a one piece firing pin.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Mikeroy
Levergunner

what was I thinkin

Post by Mikeroy »

My apologies to all. I assumed that was the way it's done on the internet. I don't text, but I do e-mail, and should know better. :oops: :oops: Regardless, all of you're feedback has helped. The point I was trying to make about the pin is, uncocked the back pin is already misaligned, do to design. I'm aware the lever pushes it up level when closed. I believe it lightly strikes the outside of the hole during release. If all it takes is a solid firing pin to correct that, and i dont have to be concerned about drag from the spring, thats what I'll do. I agree safety is utmost, but the hammer safety system is time proven, and after all the biggest part of the safety system is the shooter. I've only owned one other rifle, a 45 cal. Hawkins I built from a kit in 1980. Still have it, but have'nt killed a deer with it in years. Growing up in N.J. you could only hunt deer with a shotgun, or primitive weapon, so I never bought a rifle. As soon as I moved here, I purchased the Marlin, and I like it. Always wanted a lever action. But it needs to fire when there's a big old doe 65 yards from Me. Thanks again for all you're input. P.S. 66GTO Please forgive me for not using paragraphs, You're correct I think I just squeezed through English back in 1971 thanks Mike :oops:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: what was I thinkin

Post by J Miller »

Mikeroy,

Sometimes just getting the thought out and in text is a job. Just keep keyboarding like you did this time and you'll be fine.

Now, about that firing pin. Did you look at the little drawing I put in the other thread? If not then look again. I know it's a pathetic drawing but it's a crop from a parts diagram.
When the two piece firing pin is fitted properly, you'll never notice it. And it does provide a valuable increase in safety. Yes, the Marlins have a trigger stop safety in the lower tang .......... oppps that's Winchester talk, in the trigger plate. But that is only part of it.

Even the Mdl 94 Winchester has a two piece firing pin. The rear piece is in the locking bolt. If that bolt is out of alignment, it won't fire. It also has the trigger block safety in the lower tang. Two safeties.

The Marlin two piece firing pin is the same second safety. Were I to run into your gun I would fix it, not just stick an aftermarket part in.
Matter of fact as I said in the other thread, I did and I did in my Marlin 1894 Cowboy.

But it's your gun, you do as you feel right. But please remember you may not be the only one to use that Marlin.

Joe
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: what was I thinkin

Post by JerryB »

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your rifle.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

First, let me apologize for not answering your question. I have to admit Terry's quip response to your rather impassioned plea did tickle my funny bone. I think you'll understand once you've been around here for a while. I hope you'll stay and get to know us better. This is a good group.

Second, I merged the two topics because they are the one topic and nobody will understand your apologetic post standing on its own.

Third, I think you or preferably MARLIN should fix your rifle to function as it should. I don't believe the one piece firing pin belongs on a rifle in the field. It is a gamer's modification.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Gosh - I just now 'got it'... :oops:

I thought that was a strange use of the word 'punctuation' from TERRY ALLCAPS, but just figured it meant 'impact' or something.

At least since the one pointing out to the poor 'new guy' a lack of punctuation came from one of us who spilled super-glue on his keyboard a few years back, and it locked down the 'CAPS' key, it does point out that we're all at least semi-human on this forum. We put up with each other, somehow, anyway...

Welcome to the forum.

As far as I'm concerned, you can use - or not use - punctuation, CAPS, or whatever else you want, as long as the topic is interesting and at least has some tangential relation to 'leverguns'... :wink:

Please keep the posts coming, and once in awhile some of us may actually have something intelligent (instead of just 'smart') to say. At least J Miller was on duty this time and actually stayed on-thread!

Thanks, Joe
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Mikeroy
Levergunner

Re: misfire 336w lever hits

Post by Mikeroy »

Thanks again. Joe the lever does strike in that area, i can see the wear on it. Thats a simple enough fix, i'll try that first. Didn't think about anybody else ever using the gun, very good point. I will let you all know how I made out with the issue. Mike
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Mike,

On mine it wasn't the lever that was the problem. It was the area in the locking bolt, down in the "u" shaped grove that pushes up the rear firing pin that wasn't fitted right. When the rifle's action was fully closed this little shelf put so much pressure on the rear pin, the hammer couldn't drive it forward with enough pressure for 100% primer reliability. I had to take the rifle apart and remove the bolt to analyze the problem, then reassemble it. After that I'd file a bit and test, file a bit and test until I could close the action tight and lower the hammer slowly and it would push the firing pin all the way in. At that point I quit filing, took the rifle apart and cleaned it thoroughly. Worked just fine since then.

Joe