OT: Mom is still the boss.....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

OT: Mom is still the boss.....

Post by stretch »

My younger sister sent me this, and I just had to share.
This lady gets my vote for "Mother of the Year"!

You go, Mom! 8)

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) -- Jane Hambleton has dubbed herself the "meanest mom on the planet."

After finding alcohol in her son's car, she decided to sell the car and share her 19-year-old's misdeed with everyone -- by placing an ad in the local newspaper.

The ad reads: "OLDS 1999 Intrigue. Totally uncool parents who obviously don't love teenage son, selling his car. Only driven for three weeks before snoopy mom who needs to get a life found booze under front seat. $3,700/offer. Call meanest mom on the planet."

Hambleton has heard from people besides interested buyers since recently placing the ad in The Des Moines Register.

The 48-year-old from Fort Dodge says she has fielded more than 70 telephone calls from emergency room technicians, nurses, school counselors and even a Georgia man who wanted to congratulate her.

"The ad cost a fortune, but you know what? I'm telling people what happened here," Hambleton says. "I'm not just gonna put the car for resale when there's nothing wrong with it, except the driver made a dumb decision.

"It's overwhelming the number of calls I've gotten from people saying 'Thank you, it's nice to see a responsible parent.' So far there are no calls from anyone saying, 'You're really strict. You're real overboard, lady."'

The only critic is her son, who Hambleton says is "very, very unhappy" with the ad and claims the alcohol was left by a passenger.

Hambleton believes her son but has decided mercy isn't the best policy in this case. She says she set two rules when she bought the car at Thanksgiving: No booze, and always keep it locked.

The car has been sold, but Hambleton says she will continue the ad for another week -- just for the feedback.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Good for her.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Very good for her indeed. Makes you wonder, though, about a 19 year old guy still living with mom. Quite a few that old have already served a combat tour in the sandbox.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

jnyork wrote:Very good for her indeed. Makes you wonder, though, about a 19 year old guy still living with mom. Quite a few that old have already served a combat tour in the sandbox.

Good for her!

Nothing wrong with a 19 year old still at home. My father passed away when I was 16, so I went to a local college and lived at home until I was 21. Helped raise my two younger brothers and a younger sister. Worked during the day and went to school at night. Not easy on a young man. While at home though - regardless of what I was doing - I had to live by the rules, as it should be!
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

It does sound like a good mom doing a good job. No booze in my car either, that was MY rule.

+1 on what Kid said. If the guy is going to a local college he could be at home for the next 4 years.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

Now there is a MOM that knows how to be a MOM!!!!!!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

NEVER mess with Mom ! Besides, she's the one who cooks his food ! ;)
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

I'll share this at work......

Two thumbs up for Mom (Mean Old Mother).

Hmmm. That boy can be upset if he wants, but I hope he didn't give Mom any backtalk................
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

The question I has is who the car belonged to in the eyes of the law. If she held the title or the loan, more power to her. If the son held the title or the loan, this is wrong and possibly illegal.
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

:D
Last edited by Idahoser on Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hook

Post by Hook »

Now there's a lesson that'll stick with that young man for a long time.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Idahoser wrote:
Jason_W wrote:The question I has is who the car belonged to in the eyes of the law. If she held the title or the loan, more power to her. If the son held the title or the loan, this is wrong and possibly illegal.
Seems pretty clear to me. I know who was paying for the insurance.

I have one of these at home also. He's the owner of the car but I pay the insurance. He's already been notified that the free ride ends in the fall when school starts, if he's not going. I try to 'remind' him when I see him once in a while about the things that he might someday wish he'd done, that the clock is ticking on. Such as the military- of course they'll take him much older but I can't imagine anybody intentionally waiting til 20 or later to join. Doesn't seem like a wise move to me. People younger than you ordering you around isn't likely to make you happy.

I'm about at the end of tolerating the staying out all night/sleeping all day thing, too.
Yeah. Transistional periods make life tough for all involved. I love my parents dearly, but I noticed that I got along with them a lot better after I moved out. It's just the natural progression of things. For me, the transition to being on my own was a college dorm. You have more responsibilities than you do at home, but not so many as being in your own apartment.

Too many parents enable parasitic young adults by allowing them to live at home well into their 20's and not demanding a monetary contribution in return.

After I graduated high school, my first set of college plans fell through and I wound up living at home and working at a department store. I'll tell you, working along side the lifers there lit a big hot fire under my *** that motivated me to find another college in a hurry.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

He'll be picking her nursing home at some point in the future.

Hope she likes rats.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.