POLL: a perplexing question--ANSWER GIVEN

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Re: POLL: a perplexing question

Post by rock-steady »

Breakfast
Dinner
Supper

Lunch is served to young'uns on a tray at school.

Call me any name you please, just don't call me late fer supper! :lol:
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by .45 »

SUPPER
Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens... and the unforeseeable that which your life becomes.
rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

------------- ANSWER--------------
the story

Yesterday I was reminising about custom harvest and I remembered this confrontation.

My brother and I stopped for the night and walked into a resturant for supper. The waitress came and asked "what can I get you" I said i would like some supper please. She said no its Dinner, I said no ITS supper! BTW this gal was a little spitfire you all know the type.

I said look lady when Jesus sat down with his twelve deciples (You all know the famous print)for his last meal. What was said in the little caption at the bottom. she looked down and walked away came back with our waters and she said you got me there from now on its supper. I said good I would like a steak and baked potatoe please.

The evening meal since the beginning of time has been supper. can't aruge with that!

some things don't half to change.

^
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Re: POLL: a perplexing question--ANSWER GIVEN

Post by SmokeEater2 »

I don't see how anyone could argue with that logic rafter-7. Case closed! :)
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Case open - that was not the beginning of time that was a painting by some Italian guy. We'll let you know when you are in charge of closing cases.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I under stand the logic, but, what time of day did the "Last Supper" occur? Besides, I think it's a regional thing.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Old Savage wrote:Case open - that was not the beginning of time that was a painting by some Italian guy. We'll let you know when you are in charge of closing cases.

O.S. is right on :wink: its still open!
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Old Savage wrote:Case open - that was not the beginning of time that was a painting by some Italian guy. We'll let you know when you are in charge of closing cases.

Well pardon the heck outa' me! If you'll take the time to comprehend my post before you jump me with a snide remark you might notice that my statement was "I don't see how anyone could argue with that logic." I was speaking my opinion,not yours. I would never aspire to be "in charge of closing cases" but it's nice to know that you or "we" as you say would let me know if I were. :roll:
Last edited by SmokeEater2 on Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I don't care what you call it, as long as you don't call me late for it. :D
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

^7, the wife said your right when I grew up on my grandpas ranch we had breakfast then dinner in the early afternoon and the leftovers from dinner were covered with a cloth and at night when the animals had been fed we had the leftovers, supper. Things change now as I usually dont eat breakfast and am out and about at noon the big meal is at night when work is done I guess for our healths sake we would be better off to eat the big meal at noon to burn off the calories. danny
rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

madman4570 wrote:

O.S. is right on :wink: its still open!
As far as I'am concerned its closed cause

"killin don't mix well with a mans supper" (Sam Elliot: The Sackettes)

now do you want to argue with Sam Elliot??

Iam done have a nice weekend.

^
rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

BigSky56 wrote:^7, the wife said your right when I grew up on my grandpas ranch we had breakfast then dinner in the early afternoon and the leftovers from dinner were covered with a cloth and at night when the animals had been fed we had the leftovers, supper. Things change now as I usually dont eat breakfast and am out and about at noon the big meal is at night when work is done I guess for our healths sake we would be better off to eat the big meal at noon to burn off the calories. danny

I hear ya big sky but any more I dont have big meals at any time of the day... but the best meal we have is supper at about 5:30 ish when I make my kids sit down and eat with us at the table! the rest of the meals I dont care how they happen

^

Wifes mad she is packing for the lake all by her self and wants help /// Iam grabbin 86ers new book and we'll see you boys later.... no phone or computer there!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9A9TvZSE9E

smilling all the way!!!!!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Elliot - a hopeless pretender to Robert Mitchum - "BEEF, IT'S WHAT'S FOR DINNER." Tom Mix wept.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My Mom always said dinner for the evening meal and she can whup any cowboy's butte.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

:D :D :D :D :D
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Growing up in Washington State I always thought the last meal of the day was supper or dinner. Lunch was midday. When I moved to North Dakota I learned the midday meal was dinner and the last meal of the day was supper. Whenever I tried using the word lunch I'd be reminded it wasn't lunch, it was dinner. Those NoDakians don't like to change.
Old Law Dawg
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

According to Merriam-Webster...

sup-per
1 a : the evening meal especially when dinner is taken at midday b : a social affair featuring a supper; especially : an evening social especially for raising funds <a church supper>
2 : the food served as a supper <eat your supper>
3 : a light meal served late in the evening

din-ner
1 a : the principal meal of the day b : a formal feast or banquet
2 : table d'hôte 2
3 : the food prepared for a dinner <eat your dinner>
4 : a packaged meal usually for quick preparation <warmed up a frozen dinner>

Therefore, "supper" is the evening meal.

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Thanks Bogie.
That'll give the folks that think Chir,,, er aw Winter holiday, is about Santa Claus, and Easter is about chocolate bunnies... something else to think about..... :roll:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Supper is definitely the evening meal - it is dinner that is the contention. Depends on where you are.

Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

The original post asked,
"At your house what do you call the evening meal???
Dinner or Supper"

The evening meal is supper.

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
OI phones in...
Levergunner 2.0

Post by OI phones in... »

Old Savage wrote:Supper is definitely the evening meal - it is dinner that is the contention. Depends on where you are.
Point taken.
I'm away from my computer right now, but if you will leave a message, I still have my Geek Tools...

GOT GUN? Get T-Shirt!! Stand up & fight Prohibition!
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Well I've stayed out of this till now, but according to Bogie's copy of Merriam Websters, the evening meal is Supper UNLESS it's the principal meal of the day...and then it's Dinner. And, as Supper was the principal meal of our day growing up, then technically it's either-or...According to Websters...I personally don't care what you call it as long as the food is good and there's lots of it.

Ed
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Check out these links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supper
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinner

The word, "dinner", is originally from the French word, "disner", which means "breakfast". It was originally the first of two daily meals, the second being...supper.

Also, in Matthew 26: "The Last Supper
17 On the first day of the Festival of Unleavened Bread, the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Where do you want us to prepare the Passover meal for you?”
18 “As you go into the city,” he told them, “you will see a certain man. Tell him, ‘The Teacher says: My time has come, and I will eat the Passover meal with my disciples at your house.’” 19 So the disciples did as Jesus told them and prepared the Passover meal there. 20 When it was evening, Jesus sat down at the table[c] with the twelve disciples..."

For some reason, this is more interesting to me than it should be. :o It must be my OCD flaring up again. :D

bogie
OI phones in...
Levergunner 2.0

Post by OI phones in... »

Well... Since almost all Americans except Farmers/Ranchers are about as butt-backward as possible with food...

Nutritionally, Dinner should be Breakfast, and Supper should be Lunch, but Lunch could be Dinner if things like Services get in the way.

But eating Dinner for Supper (generally) leads to caloric stacking during the nighttime muscular "down" cycle, and inevetably leads to fat-building and cholesterol binding.

IOW: Eat a Big Break-Fast (for dinner), Moderate to heavy Lunch (depending on work), and a Light Supper, unless circumstances (or the women types) require you to splurge on a major meal later in the day, then your Dinner is whenever you are eating the most...

Remember: For thousands of years it was simply to dark in the evening to eat much. You needed calories at daybreak to sustain the day, some more at noonish to maintain energy, and somthing to cover the peckishness before retiring at sunset.

Eat only what you can Pick, Pluck, Pull or Kill. Anything Processed is probably not good for your gut.

Oh, & FWIW, "evening meal" in biblical times at about 1600 as Sunset (when all work stops) hits at right around 1800 during Passover.

Ever had "supper" at 4pm?

Using English translations of Ancient Greek is not exactly the best way to prove a point...

(Ask me why in some versions of the Lord's Prayer it is "tresspass" and in others it's "debts"... note: think English idiom(s) vs. Greek definition...)
I'm away from my computer right now, but if you will leave a message, I still have my Geek Tools...

GOT GUN? Get T-Shirt!! Stand up & fight Prohibition!
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

OI phones in... wrote:Well... Since almost all Americans except Farmers/Ranchers are about as butt-backward as possible with food...

Nutritionally, Dinner should be Breakfast, and Supper should be Lunch, but Lunch could be Dinner if things like Services get in the way.

But eating Dinner for Supper (generally) leads to caloric stacking during the nighttime muscular "down" cycle, and inevetably leads to fat-building and cholesterol binding.

IOW: Eat a Big Break-Fast (for dinner), Moderate to heavy Lunch (depending on work), and a Light Supper, unless circumstances (or the women types) require you to splurge on a major meal later in the day, then your Dinner is whenever you are eating the most...

Remember: For thousands of years it was simply to dark in the evening to eat much. You needed calories at daybreak to sustain the day, some more at noonish to maintain energy, and somthing to cover the peckishness before retiring at sunset.

Eat only what you can Pick, Pluck, Pull or Kill. Anything Processed is probably not good for your gut.

Oh, & FWIW, "evening meal" in biblical times at about 1600 as Sunset (when all work stops) hits at right around 1800 during Passover.

Ever had "supper" at 4pm?

Using English translations of Ancient Greek is not exactly the best way to prove a point...

(Ask me why in some versions of the Lord's Prayer it is "tresspass" and in others it's "debts"... note: think English idiom(s) vs. Greek definition...)
I'll go along with that! :D

bogie
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well now, on when things should be eaten - Dinner originally breakfast? is often my first meal at lunch time - that would be noon. But often I eat fruit in the morning that my wife sets out for me. My stomach and all else's job in the the alimentary track is to well use what I put in there (See Dr Bruce Lipton's The Biology of Belief ) and, all food is good for me. Having just passed the 62nd and now officially on the govt. take, we had shrimp cocktail (lots of it) Eye of Round (cooked from the Benson and Hedges Cookbook) and mashed potatoes and canned green beans. It was a great dinner that we had for supper. :D :D :D I like butter, salt and pepper on my mashed. And I eat beef anytime so with Bob Mitchum's definition I can be right on morning noon or night and still be in compliance with anyone else's.

Now completely off the subject. Here is my niece and some of her friends. The lovely brunette was her college roommate, co-captain of the high school swim team with my daughter and the daughter of my optometrist who I just visited for my fifteen annular eye exam (that is every fifteen years, look it up in wikipedia). Isn't she just about the loveliest brunette you have ever seen - excepting of course your daughter/neices etc. When these girls travel together they get top treatment go to the front of the line and often pay for little - such is our society. Well, that is of course because of how the guys, including all of you, are. :D Here they are on a cruise. I assume this was about the top assignment their waiter has had because he had to attend to them breakfast, lunch and dinner whenever that was.

Now when is dinner??????

Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

I've never wanted to be a waiter on a cruise ship............until now. :D

That dude looks pretty geeked about it. :D

bogie
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

I believe it was all a yankee gov't plot to get us southerners into the fold and was primarily fostered in the "government" schools. At home my mother or granny made supper for us. Daddy usually made breakfast, especially on weekends, ... but I (and all other Texas schoolkids in those years) was forced to have the weekday, mid-day meal in the school LUNCHROOM. At home during summer vacation, holidays and the weekends, our family and all other true Texas friends and neighbors had dinner for the noon meal.

Anyone else here have the distinct privilege of occasionally serving as LUNCHroom monitor as a schoolkid? :twisted:
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Supper seems to be during the week.

Sunday dinner is, well - Sunday Dinner.

My 4-year-old seems satisfied with using lunch for pretty much any meal.
Nanook
Levergunner

Post by Nanook »

Well, it gets pretty cold up here in Maine so we have breakfast in the morning before work, then Lunch at 11, Dinner is at 12, and Supper is after work. See, that way we get Plenty to eat!!!
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Sunday dinner is always at 12:00 or ought to be.

I remember years ago, I worked with a man from Califorinia, and I will never forget how confused he was, when I asked him at NOON, "Hey, you want to go to dinner". He though I was asking him out for supper. :lol: We finally got it straghtened out, and we advanced his education, to the point that he finally learned that, dinner was dinner and supper was supper, dinner being served at noon and supper is in the evening. To hell with lunch, that's only a snack, if you don't have time for DINNER. And brunch is something they have on TV.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well if you wait to be called for dinner here you are going to miss lunch and you ain't gonna get no snack. :lol: