OT-Cow patties brought into barn, mystery?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

OT-Cow patties brought into barn, mystery?

Post by rangerider7 »

Has anyone encountered an animal that carries large parts of cow patties into a barn. On the ranch some animal nightly carries small or parts of cow patties into the barn and hides them under some wood. I have never encountered this before until recently. Anyone have experience with this type of happening before. There are not any dogs on the ranch. I'm guessing it is coyotes or raccoons. I really don't think coyotes would do it night after night. I'm sure this will cause many humorous thoughts for answers but please try to refrain yourselves. Thanks.
"That'll Be The Day"
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT-Cow patties brought into barn, mystery?

Post by Modoc ED »

Pack rat maybe.
ED
Yer never too old
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

Sounds like the work of a pack rat http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pack_rat
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Have you considered setting a trap baited with some of the hidden cow flop?

If you catch the varmint you can identify it.

fwiw, the only critter I've ever heard of to roll off cowflop are dung beetles, aka tumble turds. But they are not big enough to carry off a whole piece of cow flop.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Pack rat, or maybe a weasel.
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there RR7 - I don't have an answer, but I see cow pies turned over, as in flipped, on my place. I've been wondering what was doing that too. It'll be interesting to see what turns up at your place. Best regards. Wind
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Poopably a turd that pelosi've migrated south by now but was pre-occu"pied". Sneak in the barn at night and see if you flush one out. See if there is a stool and an table where it might be writing in its diarrhea. I think these turds are called chip peckers, but someone that knows more about them will chime in, I'm sure.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Coons will flip 'em over to get maggots & grubs. Mebbe-so one of 'em dragged the pies into the pantry for later dining delight...!
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Must be Aliens! Studying the more intelligent species (they've studied our government lately).
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Well, cowflops are more intelligent than politicians....
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I've witnessed skunks flipping cow pies looking for bugs or worms. Not sure why a critter would cart one off though unless their using it for nesting material.
NRA Life Member
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Naw pards...ain't any of them critters.

It's the venomous, nefarious Pooprat, ain't a pack rat. Seen 'em when I was a 'youngin down on my old uncles farm south of Little Rock in to late 50's. Only see 'em in the south real early in the mornin'. Durin' a quarter moon... in the fall...when Venus is risin' in the south...during a total eclipse...and all the planets lined up...even.

Since they eat 'patties they's breath is digustin'! :( You can tell 'cause it's heavier than air & when you gets to rootin' around the barn tryin' to find theys' stash you're goin' to be breathin' it in. Will burn yer lungs as crispy as a chitlin! I ain't kiddin' neither Hoss :?

Be real careful pard...

LeverBilly
(I copied LeverBob's writin' style...did I do good?)
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I have no idea what is stashing cow pies in your barn, but your post reminded me of all the fun I had as a boy, constantly trying to set new personal records for how far I could launch frozen cow pies, using my pitchfork as the launcher, out of the winter corral and into the bush. The Snowshoe Hares probably wondered why there were frozen cow turds falling out of the sky.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Out in the mesquite scrub of West Texas (Crane and Ward counties) where I grew up, the rats made impressive "mansions" out of twigs and cow patties at the base of low-lying mesquite trees where cows couldn't reach.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Guys, these cow poops are as big as softballs, some a little larger. I have found some cockle burrs with them so it may be trying to make a nest. That is the only two things that are there each day in two different places. Could a pack rat carry something that large up a 2 foot rise to the cement floor of the barn from the corral? :?
"That'll Be The Day"
PaulB
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaulB »

A family member trying to pull your leg. :D
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I'm the only one that goes out to the ranch almost everyday. I sweep it. None of the other hunters are that energetic, I can tell you for sure. They are weekend hunters.
"That'll Be The Day"
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Sound like a pack rat to me. I've seen them pile cow chips, cactus, and anything else they can find up to make nests.

My suggestion is to find it and kill it ASAP. They are dirty, stinky disgustiing creatures, and will seriously foul anything they can infest. The stink of their urine and droppings is nasty, especially if they get a serious foothold and spend some time in one place. They are quite cute looking, like a giant mouse with a furry tail, but nasty varmints.

Last edited by Malamute on Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Could a pack rat carry something that large up a 2 foot rise to the cement floor of the barn from the corral?
Yep.
rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

I did not read the other replys but any thing big dog size or smaller could do it. there is a lot of unused protein in that pattie and perty good eatin for some vermin!

SET TRAPS

tell us what you catch

rafter-7
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Malamute wrote:Sound like a pack rat to me. I've seen them pile cow chips, cactus, and anything else they can find up to make nests.

My suggestion is to find it and kill it ASAP. They are dirty, stinky disgustiing creatures, and will seriously foul anything they can infest. The stink of their urine and droppings is nasty, especially if they get a serious foothold and spend some time in one place. They are quite cute looking, like a giant mouse with a furry tail, but nasty varmints.

See...I told ya'...

LeverBilly
(LeverBob's cousin)
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

That's why they call 'em pack rats, 'cause they will pile up the darnedest things. I just know I don't want to be there when the s@#t hits the fan.

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Put a game trail Cam up in barn. I think you are Sleep--Walkin! :D :mrgreen:
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Malamute wrote:Sound like a pack rat to me. I've seen them pile cow chips, cactus, and anything else they can find up to make nests.

The rats I refer to are much larger (7 to 10 inches w/o the hairless, worm-looking tail).
bcp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcp »

Seems obvious to me it is a turdle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

rangerider7 wrote:Has anyone encountered an animal that carries large parts of cow patties into a barn. On the ranch some animal nightly carries small or parts of cow patties into the barn and hides them under some wood. I have never encountered this before until recently. Anyone have experience with this type of happening before. There are not any dogs on the ranch. I'm guessing it is coyotes or raccoons. I really don't think coyotes would do it night after night. I'm sure this will cause many humorous thoughts for answers but please try to refrain yourselves. Thanks.
I bet it is a pack rat, move the wood I think you will find rat turds and maybe the rat.

Have fun
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

Wind wrote:Hey there RR7 - I don't have an answer, but I see cow pies turned over, as in flipped, on my place. I've been wondering what was doing that too. It'll be interesting to see what turns up at your place. Best regards. Wind
Most anything that will eat bugs, grubs, worms etc will flip them.

I have watched skunks, coyotes and Coati Mundi flip them, heck I have flipped a few myself just to see what the attraction was.

Twice I have shot Old bachelor Coati Mundi's in the act of flipping cow pies,my mexican bud called them Solteros.

Have fun
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
phc45-70
Levergunner 1.0

Post by phc45-70 »

Possibly the work of the little known Chupra-ca-ca
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I'm on my way to clean up the lumber laying on a rack. I guess the pack rat likes to nest under the rack. Thanks guys. I haven't had to deal with pack rats that like cow patties before.
"That'll Be The Day"
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

rangerider7 wrote:I'm on my way to clean up the lumber laying on a rack. I guess the pack rat likes to nest under the rack. Thanks guys. I haven't had to deal with pack rats that like cow patties before.
That's right RR7. The pack rat nests UNDER and at the very bottom of the pile of stuff it piles up. It's pretty common here to see pack rat nests three or four feet tall with everything in the nest except the kitchen sink.
ED
Yer never too old
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Pak rats here use them for nesting. Badgers and especially turky will turn over ever flop that is dry enough to get the beetles from underneath. The skunk is also a flop turner. After dark in the pasture you wil see a skunk or badger going along flipping chips and eatin' bugs.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Just got back from the ranch. I re-stacked the lumber and took away the pallet. The rats had straw, cow patties, cockle burrs and the like all under it. They also were under an old lawnmower so I took it to the metal junk pile. I made sure there was no other place to hide under or be protected from predators. Thanks guys y'all were a lot of help. I also replace the old pallet that we had been using for our 100 yard target with the pallet I just got up. I'm pooped, to coin a word, so talk later. :wink:
"That'll Be The Day"
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

20cows wrote: The rats I refer to are much larger (7 to 10 inches w/o the hairless, worm-looking tail).

He was just a little guy, it would take another year or two before he'd be trophy material. I wasn't willing to wait that long, he turned up and started using my porch and yard for his toilet and playground. Mangy varmint ate my morning glories also. First thing I'd ever managed to grow. My old Malamute dog loved to kill those things.

Had an old Bronco parked for a while. Pack rats built a huge nest of cactus, cow pies, and whatever else they could find right on top of the motor. Fortunately, they didnt eat any wiring. Others I know have not been as lucky.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

RR7, get some One Bite (trade name) poison and place around where pets cant get to it, one bite does it, if you have pets around that will eat the dead rats I wouldnt use it unless you dont like them. Decon will only give a packrat a sour stomach if you want to trap them take a 110 conibear or any big rat trap and put at the end of a 2' hunk of thinwalled stovepipe along side a wall or top plate where they run packrats have genetic glitch to run thru a tunnel or pipe. I go through 1 bite by the case. danny
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

phc45-70 wrote:Possibly the work of the little known Chupra-ca-ca
:lol: :lol: almost spit my drink at the screen :lol: :lol:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Spent many an afternoon in my youth sniping pat rats in the barns. Tear up their nest then climb up on the hay bales and wait. Peanut butter on a corncob for bait. Must have been pretty good training cause my future instructors said I seemed to have the patience of Job.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.