OT - Other Hobbies.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Other Hobbies.

Post by marlinman93 »

rafter-7 wrote:Hi Vall

its a 67 SS/396 4 speed red with a black vynal top

my son just turned 8 so in about 2 years it will be a father son project car where he can help build it...... MAYBE he will think twice when he side steps the clutch.... It takes a long time to do a car and do it right

My thinking is that if he helps he will think twice about doing something stupid and wrecking it as opposed to me doing it and giving it to him

I've always said "There is no free rides around here get to work"

Chad
Sounds like a great plan! But are you sure a SS396 is enough car for a young driver? :D
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Thanks, it actually broke 150MPH on the dyno and shut it down!!!! That was only with 4psi of boost (had a leak), and put down 425rwhp/446rwtq. It now has 10psi of boost at way over 500rwhp, and loads of torque! Next spring when it comes out it will be over 600rwhp, and still have the stock bottomend!
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

I've tinkered with auto's all of my adult life. My other passion until this spring was the dragster below. Alky injected SBC powered. But this spring we confirmed it's actual history, and it was from one of the winningest Top Fuel teams from the 60's. So it was sold to Tom Hanna for a total restoration, to be complete with Blown Injected Nitro 392 Chrysler and direct drive. Tom originally built the body for it in 1968. I'm glad it finally found it's roots, and Tom is the master of restorations for these old cars. I intend to be there when it debuts at the Hot Rod Reunion.

The '70 chevy 4WD is the only thing I have left now in the auto hobby arena, and I've had it for years. It sports a Blown 355" SBC and 4spd. Still looks about the same as in this picture.

Ed

rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

marlinman93 wrote:
rafter-7 wrote:Hi Vall

its a 67 SS/396 4 speed red with a black vynal top

my son just turned 8 so in about 2 years it will be a father son project car where he can help build it...... MAYBE he will think twice when he side steps the clutch.... It takes a long time to do a car and do it right

My thinking is that if he helps he will think twice about doing something stupid and wrecking it as opposed to me doing it and giving it to him

I've always said "There is no free rides around here get to work"

Chad
Sounds like a great plan! But are you sure a SS396 is enough car for a young driver? :D
It'll get the job done!!

rafter-7
rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

Kansas Ed wrote:I've tinkered with auto's all of my adult life. My other passion until this spring was the dragster below. Alky injected SBC powered. But this spring we confirmed it's actual history, and it was from one of the winningest Top Fuel teams from the 60's. So it was sold to Tom Hanna for a total restoration, to be complete with Blown Injected Nitro 392 Chrysler and direct drive. Tom originally built the body for it in 1968. I'm glad it finally found it's roots, and Tom is the master of restorations for these old cars. I intend to be there when it debuts at the Hot Rod Reunion.

The '70 chevy 4WD is the only thing I have left now in the auto hobby arena, and I've had it for years. It sports a Blown 355" SBC and 4spd. Still looks about the same as in this picture.

Ed

I have a soft spot for 70 chevys

^
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Love classic Chevies Ed, and front engine dragsters are very cool! Not sure I could have let that old rail go myself!
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

longbows and wood arrows, little tippy things that float on the water and scrounging parts for my pre-85 Toyota's. My daughter is a professional boy scout and I manage to stay connected with the goings on and get involved with summer camps, special events and High Adventure trips here in AK

Mostly though, I just drive the ol freightliner back and forth to Prudhoe :roll: Perhaps that is my hobby...cheating death! :lol:

You fellers have some pretty neat stuff going. Enjoyable to see some creativity in burning fossil fuel!!

Scotty
Porquipines are peacefull creatures but God still saw fit to give them quills
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

marlinman93 wrote:Love classic Chevies Ed, and front engine dragsters are very cool! Not sure I could have let that old rail go myself!
The key was that it was headed to a home that was better than I could afford to give it. It will probably get close to $100K worth of work done to it to restore it back to original. Not something I could do.

Audrey sold her plane a couple of years ago, which was another family hobby. She did a lot of the restoration herself on it. She passed up better offers on it and sold it to a pilot in the Confederate Air Force (now a Non-PC name...they changed it to something else but I still call it the Confederate AF). She took the lower price because of the same reason I let mine go to Tom...because she was certain of the good home it was going to. The '55 was our family car at the time, and sported a 350-4spd. Sold it too...
Trying to pare down.

Ed

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Ouch! I lost the love of my life (1955 Chevy) back in 1973, when some jerk stole it right after I gt home from the service. That's how I ended up with the Camaro I now have. I never got it back, and have always missed it. I think the 55 Chevy is one of the neatest cars ever built. I'll probably never have one again, as they're just too valuable to find a decent one.
The plane is great, but that '55 is just gorgeous!
Cimarron
Levergunner 2.0
Location: North of the Cimarron River in Indian Territory (Oklahoma)

Post by Cimarron »

I have a number of other hobbies/intrests. One of these is antique agricultural equipment. I own two steam traction engines (steam tractors to the uninitiated) several steel wheeled tractors from the 20's & 30's, wooden grain thresher, binder as well as a 1906 Reeves sawmill which we use on a regular basis. It spins a 56" insert tooth blade. Everything I have works and we use them annualy to put on the Oklahoma Steam Threshers Association show in May at Pawnee, Oklahoma. This interest goes back to my great grandfather Heinrich Detmer who bought his first steam threshing outfit and sawmill in 1884. The last steam outfit my grandfather, Louis Detmer, owned was Keck-Gonnerman, bought in the early 1920's. That engine was sold during the great scrap drives of WWII. The two engines & thresher I own are Keck-Gonnerman machines. The pictures are of my newest engine a 20 h.p. built in 1914. It's distinguishing feature is the overwidth rear wheels. They are 30" wide. Standard width was 20". Too bad my great grandfather didn't pick up any Winchesters, Colts, Marlins or Sharps to pass down. I am lucky to have my great uncle Frank Detmer's Colt Model 1911 that he carried in France during WWI. Image
HOLY BLACK? YOU MUST MEAN PENNSYLVANIA ANTHRACITE!

"Get your guns boys! They are robbing the bank!" J.S.Allen, Sept. 7, 1876
Derailed
Levergunner

Post by Derailed »

This is my road toy.

350. 4 speed tunnel ram.

And my off road toy.

3.7 Acura V6 20" wheel travel. 1800 lbs wet. :P

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Hobbies ?------------------
Favorite-----being on here of course :D

Let's see---------here's a few of em
Biking/Guitar playing/Karate/Motorcycle & atv riding/Lifting weights/Tree Farming//Old John Deere Tractors/throwing discus/looking at pretty women :oops:
Rafe Covington
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Rafe Covington »

motorcycles and horses

SINGLESHOT
Death Before Dishonor
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Hobbies require $$$ & Time - things I have very little of.

I would like to get my KZ400 running and retooled a bit so I can ride it to work, but that's about all I've got on the back burner right now.

FWIW, here is essentially what I want it to look like when it's done,

but right now it looks like what it is - a parts bike:

I've been forbidden by the US government/DHS from participating in my favorite hobbies...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Old Ironsights wrote:Hobbies require $$$ & Time - things I have very little of.

I would like to get my KZ400 running and retooled a bit so I can ride it to work, but that's about all I've got on the back burner right now.

FWIW, here is essentially what I want it to look like when it's done,

but right now it looks like what it is - a parts bike:

I've been forbidden by the US government/DHS from participating in my favorite hobbies...

Ah Dude,
Thats a classic!
What year(74 ?)and whats wrong with it.(man, leave her stock?)
I had(should have NEVER got rid of it, a bought new 1974 Kawasaki 900 Z1B that exact same color.
Loved that bike! Brother still has his 1972 Kawasaki 900 Z1 (I love it)he did trick his out though(calls it Black Widow) all black out everything. man, back then they were king!
Love their sound---like a smooth trailways bus :lol:
Last edited by madman4570 on Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

madman4570 wrote:Ah Dude,
Thats a classic!
What year/whats wrong with it.(man, leave her stock?)
I had(should have NEVER got rid of it, a bought new 1974 Kawasaki 900 Z1B that same color.
Loved that bike! Brother still has his 1972 Kawasaki 900 Z1 (I love it)
It's (mostly) a '75. Needs a stator, carb rebuild & intake rubber, airbox is gone so it need pods, brake overhaul, tank resto/replace, new seat lock & ancillary fiddly bits. Once I get it running I may do the cosmetic stuff. I like the idea of springing it a bit for a little more trail use so I can use it for scouting as well as commuting.

BTW: "UCMJ" means "Universal Combat Motorcycle - Japanese" A guy's gotta have an Zombie Combat Rig... :wink:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Old Ironsights wrote:
madman4570 wrote:Ah Dude,
Thats a classic!
What year/whats wrong with it.(man, leave her stock?)
I had(should have NEVER got rid of it, a bought new 1974 Kawasaki 900 Z1B that same color.
Loved that bike! Brother still has his 1972 Kawasaki 900 Z1 (I love it)
It's (mostly) a '75. Needs a stator, carb rebuild & intake rubber, airbox is gone so it need pods, brake overhaul, tank resto/replace, new seat lock & ancillary fiddly bits. Once I get it running I may do the cosmetic stuff. I like the idea of springing it a bit for a little more trail use so I can use it for scouting as well as commuting.

BTW: "UCMJ" means "Universal Combat Motorcycle - Japanese" A guy's gotta have an Zombie Combat Rig... :wink:
Tell you what, that would indeed be one cool project.
pm'd you so I wouldnt rant off topic!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Here's another of my "hobbies"... if you call ubergeek reading a hobby: http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/index.html
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Kansas Ed wrote:...She passed up better offers on it and sold it to a pilot in the Confederate Air Force (now a Non-PC name...they changed it to something else but I still call it the Confederate AF)....
As the years go by, I can't help but notice: Those most stridently demanding "political correctness" are the most intolerant of others!

That's one of my hobbies - observing peoples.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

That's me on the right, rappelling under the bridge. You know, the one in camo. :wink:
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

My main hobbies are guns and guitars. I wish I was better at both, though I'm way more proficient with the guns than with the guitars. I have begun to learn to make bows and knives. I do a little bit of woodworking, but it's very rudimentary because I don't have all the necessary tools yet. I'm working on organizing my garage and getting a functional shop put together. This was also my first year for a garden. It didn't turn out very well, but next year will be better. I don't have the money nor the time to devote to too many hobbies.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Guns are my first hobby, But lately I have taken to playing with fire and hot objects.http://www.iforgeiron.com/index.php?app ... blogid=13&
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

My main Hobbie has always been guns, all kinds of guns, and the competitive games that can be played with guns.

I also like to hunt, deer, squirrel, pheasant, coyotes, and just about anything else that's legal and in my price range, and available time off. I like to Bowhunt, and maybe fish just a little bit.

I am into motorcycles, and I own a couple of Harleys.

I raise cattle, but I don't consider that a hobbie.

I handload sometimes.

I like shooting flintlocks

I havn't owned a horse in many years, but I just purchased one, and traded an AR-15 for a like new Herford ropeing saddle. I am 53 and I figured if I ever wanted to ride again, I better get started, so I am getting a 9 year old Missouri Fox Trotter, to hunt off of, and use as a ranch gelding on my farm. He's got cow sense, and an easy ride, and they have been ponying young horses off of him, so he done a little of everything. I figure he will be real handy for checking on my cattle with, and riding the fences, he's a good trail horse.

Of course, I recond I have to count going to these websites, like Leverguns as a hobby. I also like to read, and I have always been a steady reader, all of my life.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Gearhead stuff... I still have my '55 210 sedan I bought in high school... Feb '67. In Jan I crashed my 210 wagon into a cop car... lucky me... the squad car was quasi-stolen (off duty cop joyriding a little inebriated), so I skated on the tickets and stuff... but my insurance paid off their damage. Unfornately, the accident pushed the left side back about 3" behind the right side. Today there's shops that could straighten it out, but in '67 I don't think anyone would attempt it. I just parted it out and junked the body. Hardest thing since I'd had to put down a pet.

Derailed, lookin' at your wagon brought back all those memories. The day before I wrecked it, I'd purchased some NOS rear springs and upper & lower front ball joints. Have looked at many of them over the years to find one I think I could rebuild. I had a 283 & PS in it. I paid $50 for the 210 sedan as a rollin' chassis and the spring semester putting the engine and trans in it. That summer, my older brother called and tole me to bring Dad's p/u, $57.xx and be prepared to start saving. I got to the dealership he worked at and there was a big crate, and a box of parts. Box had a new piston, rod and gasket set. Crate contained a broke L-88. I finally found the clutch parts and a trans (T-10) and got the engine & trans in the car during the fall semester in auto shop.

In '91-'92 I rebuilt it with a 350 & 700R4 out of a '91 Z-28. In '95 the wife sold it. Fortunately, I got home before the guy got it outta my driveway. I ripped up his check and pointed out that the title didn't have the wife's name on it and NEVER would.

The L88 is in the barn along with a '55-½ p/u with a '74 Camaro front clip on it. That's one for after I retire and can devote dedicated hours to it. I got as far as boxing & notching the rear frame, putting the rear axle on top of the springs and fixin' the rot in the back corners of the cab.

But now, the '91 RS Camaro demands a new motor (192K on the original 305)... along with a few body dings straightened out... and the '69 Ford tractor I finally popped a head gasket on needs a little TLC.

I gotta scan in some more pics to share...

One of the ones that I shouldn't have let go was this '72 Blazer, 4" lift, 35" tires and a 350HP 350ci, a TH350 and 4.11s with a limited slip front Dana 44 and a Detroit Locker in the rear... If the tires could stick to it, it'd climb it!
It took some doin', but after building steel wheels 10"x15s that used stock centers, finding the stock beauty rings and hub caps took some diggin' thru dealer stocks all over the western US... But it was worth it. I owned it from '78 to '86 when I sold it to my huntin' partner. The following year on the drive home from hog huntin up north another friend was drivin' when he caught the road edge and rolled it 5 times on I-5!!!

I don't have as many "bow-ties" as I do mdl 94s, but @ 5, I have enough! For now!!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Abilene
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Abilene »

I hope, like y'all I am a well rounded gun nut. With deer huntin', stockmakin', lever collectin', bullet castin', pistol matches and bird hunting (duck, turkey, dove) takin' up most of my spare time.

The other hobbies are buildin' ladder stands, leatherworking,and turning turkey calls (pots and strikers) on the lathe, box calls on the tablesaw just to support the main hobbies.

I guess other than gun stuff I did rebuild the family's 1946 model A John Deere to use on the farm. Other than that I am in to chuck wagon cookin'. I built a portable fire pit (half pipe on wheels) out of 24" by .375 pipe, it is 3.5 feet long w/ all the stands and hooks for the dutch ovens. This years project is the slanted chuck box that sets in the back of the wagon. Once I restore the Iron wheeled wagon I will build the wagon box to fit the chuck box.

I started building a McClellan saddle tree from prints I found on the internet last year. I got the pommel and cantle shaped out to spec., but the bars are eatin' my lunch.

When I get tard of one hobby I switch to another. Abilene
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

besides hunting, fishing, and shooting....and camping

In my younger years I was heavily into wind surfing....
snorkeling, scuba diving, boating and hiking.....Horseback riding
I was also a bikini inspector at the beach for many years! :D

Now its yard work....and messing around the house....
a poker game every other saturday night....
skeet shooting on Sundays...
College football...

and I am starting to get into building flyrods with
my neighbor....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

archery/bowhunting, air guns/airgun hunting, history, leather working and firearms/firearms hunting...
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

archery/bowhunting, air guns/airgun hunting, history, leather working and firearms/firearms hunting...I'd like to get into RC flying but alas and alack...$$$$ is short these days...for many years i was into motorcycles both street and dirt...i rode them from 1959 until 2000 when i laid down my BMW and nearly lost a leg...
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
Steve Collins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steve Collins »

Shooting, reloading, teaching classes, reading. Just became an Assistant Scoutmaster for my sons Boy Scout troop. Shooting, reloading, searching out pre-'64 Winchesters and old Smith & Wesson revolvers. Shooting, reloading...hmm, I'm sensing a pattern... :D
Draw quickly, shoot accurately!
S&L Training
www.sandltraining.com

NRA Life Member
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Well...let's see, when I am not trying to earn a buck (getting really, really hard lately), and mess'n around with my guns or hunting, or fishing. It seems as though I have a tendency to start building things....like this, almost done:

This is adjacent to my "gun" room and will be my getaway room.

And as soon as my next ship comes in, I'll participate in building/renovating things like this project from awhile ago.....