What "ONE" lever gun would you buy yourself?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
MistWolf
Levergunner 1.0

Re: What "ONE" lever gun would you buy yourself?

Post by MistWolf »

Ever since I could remember, I've wanted a Winchester 94 with a half octagon/half round barrel, silver capped forearm, chambered for 25-35. It was my grandfathers. My uncle got it when Grandpa passed away, then I got it when my uncle passed. Of all the firearms I've ever acquired, it's the one that's cost me the most

Maybe someday I'll see if somebody like Doug Turnbull would look it over for me
I am American
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

I got all I want right now, except that I'd like to upgrade the stock and forearm on a half-magazine 35 Remmie that I bought used. If I were going to get another levergun it would probably be an EMF Hartford 92 carbine (pre-lawyersafety model) in 357 magnum. I've pretty much got no interest at all in any of the brand-new leverguns on the market as configured right now.
rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

1894 vintage 1892 25-20 takedown,pistol grip,delux,full oct.full mag,3x wood,tang sight 1" app. and a beaches front 93% cond. overall mint bore to boot

Yes its for sale right now BUT I need an infusion cash to get it

:idea: If someone donates to my cause I PROMISE to post pics!! :D

^
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I been kinda wishin' at a Savage 99, I believe it's called a "Barrel Band Carbine", in 250-3000, or 300 Savage. Just because...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

MistWolf wrote:Ever since I could remember, I've wanted a Winchester 94 with a half octagon/half round barrel, silver capped forearm, chambered for 25-35. It was my grandfathers. My uncle got it when Grandpa passed away, then I got it when my uncle passed. Of all the firearms I've ever acquired, it's the one that's cost me the most

MistWolf,

Please pardon my comments, they are just coming from a sentimental old guy. But please don't send your grandfathers rifle to Turnbull for anything. It's earned all it's stripes, all that patina and faded bluing, each nic and bruise, is just one of many pages of it's history.
Pass it on to your son / daughter when the time comes just like it is.
Fix anything mechanically it might need, go hunting with it, but don't "restore" it. Cherish it for what it is and who it came from. You have a true family heirloom there.
I'm envious, as I have nothing from any of my ancestors.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Roland
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Roland »

I would go for the best 1892 carbine or short rifle in .44mag I could find (with todays options that looks like a Chiappa).
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

1886 24 0r 26 inch full octagon(half and half would work)in 45-90 or 50-110 but one with character and flaws and hunting scars, the been there and done that kind of thing. I know I'm nuts but it's who I am. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

fordwannabe wrote:1886 24 0r 26 inch full octagon(half and half would work)in 45-90 or 50-110 but one with character and flaws and hunting scars, the been there and done that kind of thing. I know I'm nuts but it's who I am. Tom
fordwannabe,
I like those kinds of rifles. They make me feel good to use them. I won't live long enough to see any of mine take on that aura of been there done that.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

J Miller wrote:
MistWolf wrote:Ever since I could remember, I've wanted a Winchester 94 with a half octagon/half round barrel, silver capped forearm, chambered for 25-35. It was my grandfathers. My uncle got it when Grandpa passed away, then I got it when my uncle passed. Of all the firearms I've ever acquired, it's the one that's cost me the most

MistWolf,

Please pardon my comments, they are just coming from a sentimental old guy. But please don't send your grandfathers rifle to Turnbull for anything. It's earned all it's stripes, all that patina and faded bluing, each nic and bruise, is just one of many pages of it's history.
Fix anything mechanically it might need, go hunting with it, but don't "restore" it. Cherish it for what it is and who it came from. You have a true family heirloom there.

Joe

Yup.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

J Miller wrote:

MistWolf,

Joe
None of my business either, but PLUS 1.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
MistWolf
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MistWolf »

I agree with all of you about a restoration. I don't want to do a restoration but have it gone through, properly cleaned and checked for mechanical condition by an expert
I am American
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

76/444 wrote:
J Miller wrote:

MistWolf,

Joe

Yup.

yup, some more.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Just one?? :x
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Rusty,

"Just One?" what?

Joe
Killer Kanuck
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Killer Kanuck »

Easy - an Armi Sport Spencer carbine in 56-50 Centerfire. Been drooling over one of them for a couple years now. Unfortunately no one is importing them into Canada. :cry:
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

For Me? Thank you!

An original "teens or twenties" 99 Savage in 300 Savage. All the great stuff: 26" barrel, perch belly stock, hook buttplate, take-down. Add an extra .250-3000 barrel setup & an extra 38-55 setup as well. Best american walnut stocks.

Good for mice thru moose. Gadzooks that would be fine! :D :D :D

LB
Lobo
Member Emeritus

Post by Lobo »

Okay.......well......I'd have a Marlin 336 with the action machined from titanium, chambered for a wildcat .375/308, stocked up with a nice piece of curly maple.
Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Cabela's East Hartford has my "Holy Grail". A late production 1886 lightweight in .50-110 EX, complete with Lyman 21 sight. It is in excellent condition and is priced a bit too high for me at $25K. It's been there for quite a while and they will not step it down to a more palatable level. I'm waiting patiently. You can check it out on Cabela's site or on Guns International.:)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Rifleman336
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman336 »

If I had the money and the time I'd love to get a Stainless Marlin 1894 in .44 Mag, worked on by DRC Customs. Hardend Mag tube, glove loop lever, and a custom stainless octoganial barrel set up for heavy grain bulliets.

Have a Skinner Ladder site and custom front sight. Get a old cresent style stock fitted and finished. Then have custom Lauer coating to make the metal look like the "brown blueing" of old, and if possiable fake "case hardening" on the receiver and lever, old looks with modren durability.

But my dream are richer than my wallet,

Rifleman 336
Never bite off more than you can chew.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Mike D. wrote:Cabela's East Hartford has my "Holy Grail". A late production 1886 lightweight in .50-110 EX, complete with Lyman 21 sight. It is in excellent condition and is priced a bit too high for me at $25K. It's been there for quite a while and they will not step it down to a more palatable level. I'm waiting patiently. You can check it out on Cabela's site or on Guns International.:)
Wow ... it's a 20" short rifle too. Nice old plain wood gun. I would have thought a LW would have been 22" for some reason.

I would like a nice old Winchester 65 in Bee or 25-20.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:
Mike D. wrote:Cabela's East Hartford has my "Holy Grail". A late production 1886 lightweight in .50-110 EX, complete with Lyman 21 sight. It is in excellent condition and is priced a bit too high for me at $25K. It's been there for quite a while and they will not step it down to a more palatable level. I'm waiting patiently. You can check it out on Cabela's site or on Guns International.:)
Wow ... it's a 20" short rifle too. Nice old plain wood gun. I would have thought a LW would have been 22" for some reason.

Larry Orr has a 65 in 218 for sale in his last list 98% barrel 90% reciever 4250.00
BlueStateSaint
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BlueStateSaint »

J Miller wrote:

MistWolf,

Joe
MistWolf, read what Joe writes--several times. Don't try to restore it at all. I've got a Winchester 94 in .30 WCF (yes, that's stamped on the barrel) that Oldguns.net says was made in 1950. It's got two scratches along the left side of the receiver. I wouldn't have that 94 redone for anything. I don't know how many deer my grandfather got with it, but that doesn't matter to me (I got a doe with it last year). What matters is that it's a family heirloom, just as Joe stated.

Whomever I pass that rifle on will be told the same thing--"Don't ever restore this rifle. Keep it clean, but keep it just as it is."
Steve Collins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steve Collins »

Winchester model 71 Deluxe .348 Winchester. Saw one in Cabela's about a year ago, didn't get it, been kicking myself ever since! :(
Draw quickly, shoot accurately!
S&L Training
www.sandltraining.com

NRA Life Member
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Shiloh Sharps in 45-70.....stright grip, heavy barrel....german silver forend would be nice, with some figure to the wood. I am thinking about ordering one up very soon.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:

I believe that it actually has a 22" barrel. It is an Extra Lightweight Solid Frame gun from the late 1910s. Just for grins I will call them tomorrow for the serial number, then get in touch with Jesi at Cody and see what is what with that '86. 8)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
MistWolf
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MistWolf »

BlueStateSaint wrote:
J Miller wrote:

MistWolf,

Joe
MistWolf, read what Joe writes--several times. Don't try to restore it at all. I've got a Winchester 94 in .30 WCF (yes, that's stamped on the barrel) that Oldguns.net says was made in 1950. It's got two scratches along the left side of the receiver. I wouldn't have that 94 redone for anything. I don't know how many deer my grandfather got with it, but that doesn't matter to me (I got a doe with it last year). What matters is that it's a family heirloom, just as Joe stated.

Whomever I pass that rifle on will be told the same thing--"Don't ever restore this rifle. Keep it clean, but keep it just as it is."
Heh! I love you guys, you are the best! Let me try this again- I agree that this rifle should not be sent in for a restoration, however I would like to have it looked over to determine it's mechanical condition. The hole in the stock was put there to hang it from a peg in some line shack on a ranch in North Dakota. Grandpa got it from an estate sale when he was a young man. I wouldn't even think of having that hole "repaired". However, I'd like to know if it's still safe to shoot and have any old grease cleaned up from it's inside. I don't want to bugger up the screws taking it apart although I have taken it apart in the past. I do not plan to refinish the stock or the rifle. However, the rear sight needs some attention as something is bent. I think it's beautiful as it is.

Grandpa was born in 1909 and according to my Uncle Reynold, Grandpa bought it sometime between 1924 and 1934
I am American
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

MistWolf,

Disassembling and reassembling Win 94s is easy. They aren't complicated at all. The cleaning and inspection you can do yourself. About the only thing you might need a gunsmith for is to check the head space. And you can do that too.

Get an exploded drawing and study it. Win 94s are not rockets and you don't need to be a rocket engineer to work on 'em.
Heck I fixed my first one when I was 15 or 16.

Joe
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

:D I sure do want a Winchester 9422 yellowboy NIB, but the only one I found was $1500!
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

Well I've bought all my lever guns for myself,......but if I wanted another one, I think I would pickup the new Marlin SBL Gide gun, and leavit stock.

8)