Relaoder's question, please?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
76/444

Relaoder's question, please?

Post by 76/444 »

Has anyone ever heard of or used "Redding Die Sets",... I need opinions.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Relaoder's question, please?

Post by pokey »

good brand, top shelf.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Well sure, Redding makes good quality dies. They are usually a little more money, but not always. Seems to depend on caliber. I've had several sets of Redding dies over the years, my last purchase being for the 470NE which were about 1/3 the price of the RCBS set.
NRA Life Member
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

YEP. HEARD OF 'EM. WORK FINE.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

My favorite brand, bar none. I once went to resize some .405 with a set, and ran the first piece of brass into the sizing die. Was terribly surprised when it came out with a .33 caliber neck. Apparently I had mixed up my 405 and 33WCF sizing dies and had them in the wrong boxes :o They were so smooth I didn't notice the difference until I had withdrawn the case from the die. I've found that smoothness is one of their standard advantages.

Ed
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Redding dies are probably the best on the market.
Way more expensive than my second favorite RCBS.
Good tools are made by Redding/Saeco ! :D
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

So,... if you guys had a choice between Redding ($57) and Lee with their excellent crimper ($23) at less than half the price,... it would Redding,... right?
Last edited by 76/444 on Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Yes. I would pay 2X for Redding over Lee. I don't much care for Lee dies anyway. I do have several sets of Lee dies for specific reasons, but most of my dies are RCBS.
NRA Life Member
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I have 3 sets (two rifle and one pistol) and have found their die sets to be the equal of any other. I would buy them again. Is that what you wondering about?

Wm
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

wm wrote:I have 3 sets (two rifle and one pistol) and have found their die sets to be the equal of any other. I would buy them again. Is that what you wondering about?

Wm

I am wondering is they are worth the extra bucks,.... sounds like they are!
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Maybe I should also say that I will only be loading 444,.... nothing else,.... not like I am going to, or have invested in, a lot of die sets. This will be it.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

One caliber huh?

Yep that is the way it starts......for me my gateway cartridge was the 38 spl and shooting wadcutters. Then it was loading up some 38 LSWC +Ps, then it only seemed like a small step to do some 357 mags.

Pretty soon I was fixing myself up with 45 ACP and 9mm. Then I made the jump to big bore rifles with 30-06 and then ...(deep sigh)...well as I spiraled deeper into this world of experimentation I got into some pretty exotic stuff..... you know crazy European metric stuff like 7.5X55 Swiss and 8X56Rmm.

Sometimes I feel like I want to quit, you know to come out of the dingy light of the work shop and into the light and enjoy things like TV and ballroom dancing. But then I find a new gun or rediscover an old one in the back of the safe and I am back at it.

It is a sickness.

Wm
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Yeah wm - I so totally share your pain dude! Then you see some innocent like 76/444 coming down the path and get that crooked little grin and say "hey there buddy - need a case trimmer?" Wind
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll,... since I am setting up for 444,.... I guess I might just pick up some 44 mag dies. Got hundreds of cases packed up!

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Quality dies will last a life time. Lee dies not so much. If you load straight wall case's Lee will work, maybe.
For the Winchester Dash cartridges, most all who try Lee dies wind up buying quality dies.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:mrgreen: Go with the Lee dies first. Then the Reddings will seem like a good bargain when you finally get fed up with the Lee's. :shock: Of course you'll end up with two sets of dies for the same cartridge.....
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Buy the Reddings. You WON'T be sorry. Forget all that other nonsense these other guys are trying to lay off on ya. :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

might catch some flames here but....
I have rcbs,hornady and lee dies on the bench.I was a reloading snob when I first started out and used only rcbs.I was told lee wasn't any good and don't buy them. :roll: .I picked up a set of lee 38 special dies as at the time thats all they had at the rod & gun club in germany.
hmmm they came with a shell holder & load data.I still have those dies and they work perfect.I have a set of 357 mag dies made by hornady.I can tell there isn't any difference in the quality of the ammo made with the lee dies.since then "all" my rifle dies are lee.IMHO buy a set of lee dies and take the extra money saved and buy some primers,bullets or brass.
DAV life member.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I have Dillon, Hornady, Redding, Lyman, RCBS, Pacific, Easton, and Lee Dies on my bench. And in most cases multiple sets for each cartridge I have reloaded for (I have sons and when they leave the nest they'll get rifles and handguns and the equipment to keep them).

I have nothing bad to say about any of the products I have used. But hey I am an addict more than a connesiuer (sp?).

Wm
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

OK,.... one more bit of info. I will be loading one at a time with a Lee hand press,... basically this will be a outfit bagged up and put on a pack horse for in camp time busy work.

Does that make a difference in die choice? Will I benefit from the smoother working Redding in a hand press? Or not feel the difference?

Thanks for all the great opinions and advice !!!
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I always liked the image of a guy hunkered down after dinner, lit by camp fire, reloading with a hand press much like a buffalo hunter or frontiersman might have 130 years ago but.....you know keeping the powder & primers dry, lugging around the dies and powder measure and hand press and expecting to turn out ammo as good what I could produce at my work bench just seemed....well....I guess impractical.

I'd rather tote along an extra dozen cartridges and enjoy the sunset.

On the other hand I do have a 'mobile ready' ammo supply with dies for 38/357 and a hand press for bug out emergencies. I don't expect to ever need it but I feel the same way about my fire extinguisher.

Wm
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

76/444 wrote:OK,.... one more bit of info. I will be loading one at a time with a Lee hand press,... basically this will be a outfit bagged up and put on a pack horse for in camp time busy work.

Does that make a difference in die choice? Will I benefit from the smoother working Redding in a hand press? Or not feel the difference?

I use a handpress exclusively, and have for 5-6 years. It works great with my Lee dies (love the FCD!) and turns out very good (accurate and aesthically pleasing) ammo. I see no reason to spend the extra money on more expensive dies.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

wm wrote:I always liked the image of a guy hunkered down after dinner, lit by camp fire, reloading with a hand press much like a buffalo hunter or frontiersman might have 130 years ago but.....you know keeping the powder & primers dry, lugging around the dies and powder measure and hand press and expecting to turn out ammo as good what I could produce at my work bench just seemed....well....I guess impractical.

I'd rather tote along an extra dozen cartridges and enjoy the sunset.

On the other hand I do have a 'mobile ready' ammo supply with dies for 38/357 and a hand press for bug out emergencies. I don't expect to ever need it but I feel the same way about my fire extinguisher.

Wm

Nice historic mental picture you got there guy, but,... I kinda like my creature comforts!! 8)

My base camp 10'x12' tent holds a whole lot of comfort, which includes table and benches for whatever I wish to work on after cooking in a full kitchen vestibule. And if I go long and work late, electric LED lanterns work for me, while my propane heater keep my toes warm. 8)

p.s. I had forgotten my packed up rifle ammo bag one time a few months ago, heading to the back country,... wasn't a comfortable feeling to only have a mag full in bear country. Never needed one cartridge, but, I just didn't feel comfortable with only 5 rounds. So, as a secondary backup, I have been thinking a fully capable reload set up as part of my normal pack kit would be a good idea. Sometimes redundancy is good for the memory challenged. :lol:
Last edited by 76/444 on Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

alnitak wrote:
76/444 wrote:OK,.... one more bit of info. I will be loading one at a time with a Lee hand press,... basically this will be a outfit bagged up and put on a pack horse for in camp time busy work.

I use a handpress exclusively, and have for 5-6 years. It works great with my Lee dies (love the FCD!) and turns out very good (accurate and aesthically pleasing) ammo. I see no reason to spend the extra money on more expensive dies.

Thanks, I came across the Redding dies while filling out an order from Natchez. But never heard of them. I can get a Lee 3 die set, crimp die, case length gauge, pocket cleaner, case trimmer, powder funnel, champher tool, hand auto primer, powder measure kit, and a decapping die for just less than 10 bucks more than the Redding dies alone. So I thought I would check with those I believe know a lot more than I. Since this is going to be a pack kit, I wondered if those Reddings would really be worth it.

Thanks.
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

76/444 wrote:
alnitak wrote:

Thanks, I came across the Redding dies while filling out an order from Natchez. But never heard of them. I can get a Lee 3 die set, crimp die, case length gauge, pocket cleaner, case trimmer, powder funnel, champher tool, hand auto primer, powder measure kit, and a decapping die for just less than 10 bucks more than the Redding dies alone. So I thought I would check with those I believe know a lot more than I. Since this is going to be a pack kit, I wondered if those Reddings would really be worth it.

Thanks.
You can always buy a set of Redding dies later on down the road if you want, but the set you've just described would get you going to your campfire with everything but a can of powder, some bullets, and some primers. Your choice. The Redding dies are a standard thread that will fit the Lee hand press if you're still using it later on and feel like you need another die set.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

As romanatic as reloading at camp sounds I can't for the life of me figure how it would be easier to pack in a full reloading setup, including the powder , primer (both of which would be extremely vulnerable to damage and loss) and bullets, over stuff a full box of ammo in the saddle bags or the pocket on a pair of chaps to go along with the full magazine, or a cartridge belt full of ammo.
Even the old hide hunters had wagons to carry the extra gear needed to reload.
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

Don McDowell wrote:As romanatic as reloading at camp sounds I can't for the life of me figure how it would be easier to pack in a full reloading setup, including the powder , primer (both of which would be extremely vulnerable to damage and loss) and bullets, over stuff a full box of ammo in the saddle bags or the pocket on a pair of chaps to go along with the full magazine, or a cartridge belt full of ammo.
I agree, Don, but the man has his fantasy and deserves the right to play it out. I think that once this phase has passed him by after he tries lugging all of that stuff around, he'll be asking us all for our opinions on the best brands of bench-mounted reloading equipment, powders, and the like. He'll be loading at home in his basement or a room off his garage like the rest of us do. More than likely he'll be getting dies and components for lots of other calibers as well.
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Don McDowell wrote:As romanatic as reloading at camp sounds I can't for the life of me figure how it would be easier to pack in a full reloading setup, including the powder , primer (both of which would be extremely vulnerable to damage and loss) and bullets, over stuff a full box of ammo in the saddle bags or the pocket on a pair of chaps to go along with the full magazine, or a cartridge belt full of ammo.

Ain't trying to be "romantic" guy. Go back up on the thread and read my post about a permanently packed reload kit for when my memory fails me. I just like back up on essentials when in the back country, when a store isn't a 10 minute drive away,... if that's OK with you?
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Just saw where a set of Redding .444 Marlin dies are selling for right at $172.00 and the set of LEE .444 Marlin dies are selling for $34.95. It's up to you. I use LEE and RCBS .444 Marlin dies with great results.

As far as camping and reloading -- not for me. It'd be my luck to dump the powder in the camp fire or the coffee. The ammo box in my truck always has .38 special, .30-30, .30-06, .444 Marlin, and .22 LR in it so I'm set wherever I go. Also have various 12ga shells in the truck too.

I do use a LEE Hand Press for ALL my .444 Marlin reloading and it is perfect for that round. Up untll a week or so ago, I'd loaded 800 or so rounds of .444 Marlin with it but this week I loaded another 200 rounds with it so I can now say I've loaded a 1,000 rounds of .444 Marlin with my LEE Hand Press with excellent results. I've used both LEE and RCBS .444 Marlin dies in the hand press and to be honest, I can't see any difference in the ammo loaded with either one.

76/444 - I think you are getting hung up on what to get (over thinking it). Go get a basic set of reloading tools and get started and go from there. Just my .02¢ .
ED
Yer never too old
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

jlchucker wrote:
I agree, Don, but the man has his fantasy and deserves the right to play it out. I think that once this phase has passed him by after he tries lugging all of that stuff around, he'll be asking us all for our opinions on the best brands of bench-mounted reloading equipment, powders, and the like. He'll be loading at home in his basement or a room off his garage like the rest of us do. More than likely he'll be getting dies and components for lots of other calibers as well.

Sorry, but I reloaded many decades ago and never had an interest in bench loading and never will. I enjoyed loading one at a time in the past, and can't ever think of getting any enjoyment any other way. My budd down the road has the reloading jones,... he has ammo cans filled that stack four feet deep, five feet high, and twenty feet long in his reloading room. And he is STILL loading!!! :lol: Probably a half million rounds loaded over the past 50 years. I think reloading can become a real addiction, real easy. :lol: Besides, I have too much stock to care for, to get a habit like that. Not trying to knock anyone, just explaining myself.

I don't "lug" anything,...this kit will be carried by a pack horse and probably never used, just like my med kit I pack,... hopefully. If having boxes of cartridges is better than having the ability to reload,... then why am I letting all you reloaders get me thinking this way? :lol:
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Modoc ED wrote:Just saw where a set of Redding .444 Marlin dies are selling for right at $172.00 and the set of LEE .444 Marlin dies are selling for $34.95. It's up to you. I use LEE and RCBS .444 Marlin dies with great results.

As far as camping and reloading -- not for me. It'd be my luck to dump the powder in the camp fire or the coffee. The ammo box in my truck always has .38 special, .30-30, .30-06, .444 Marlin, and .22 LR in it so I'm set wherever I go. Also have various 12ga shells in the truck too.

I do use a LEE Hand Press for ALL my .444 Marlin reloading and it is perfect for that round. Up untll a week or so ago, I'd loaded 800 or so rounds of .444 Marlin with it but this week I loaded another 200 rounds with it so I can now say I've loaded a 1,000 rounds of .444 Marlin with my LEE Hand Press with excellent results. I've used both LEE and RCBS .444 Marlin dies in the hand press and to be honest, I can't see any difference in the ammo loaded with either one.

76/444 - I think you are getting hung up on what to get (over thinking it). Go get a basic set of reloading tools and get started and go from there. Just my .02¢ .

Agreed, but not hung up, really. Just wanted to know about Redding dies before I order everything tomorrow. I never loaded years ago with anything but a hand press, ...liked it very much,.... won't change that!!
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

the lee hand press works with all standard dies.the 444 is a straight walled case I don't see a problem with resizing the brass.
DAV life member.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

txpete wrote:the lee hand press works with all standard dies.the 444 is a straight walled case I don't see a problem with resizing the brass.
There is no problem resizing .444 Marlin brass using a LEE Hand Press. I full-length resize all my .444 Marlin brass as I have more than one .444 Marlin rifle so I need to be able to use the ammo from one rifle to the other. If I were to neck size only, there might be a problem with chamber fit.
ED
Yer never too old
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Modoc ED wrote:
txpete wrote:the lee hand press works with all standard dies.the 444 is a straight walled case I don't see a problem with resizing the brass.
There is no problem resizing .444 Marlin brass using a LEE Hand Press. I full-length resize all my .444 Marlin brass as I have more than one .444 Marlin rifle so I need to be able to use the ammo from one rifle to the other. If I were to neck size only, there might be a problem with chamber fit.

Thanks for the pointer!!
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I think it's the Snap-On vs. MAC, vs. Craftsman kinda thing. If you never drank any wine would you start out with the Rothschilds $200.00 per bottle or some $8.00 Cal. Napa wine? If you think you can tell the differance, go with the Redding dies.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

76/444 wrote:[. I just like back up on essentials when in the back country, when a store isn't a 10 minute drive away,... if that's OK with you?
Oh pilgrim that's plumb fine by me. :wink: All these nasty ol skyscrapers around me I forget about how you bowlegged hairy chested cowboys really live. :roll:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Don, I think that you have a rare photo there. It is getting hard to find an area these days without a Wal Mart, Target, or a Walgreens within sight.

By the way, I have used RCBS, Lee, and Hornady dies. They all work for me, so I am not going to say which is better. I'd be lying if I said that one is better than another.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

76/444 wrote:So,... if you guys had a choice between Redding ($57) and Lee with their excellent crimper ($23) at less than half the price,... it would Redding,... right?
Yes. I would, based on VALUE buy dies in this order...

RCBS
Redding
Lee
CH4D
Lyman
Hornady

All work, most well and my choice is based on price, quality, and features. In short, my own opinion. :wink:

PS - I wouldn't turn down any die by any maker if given to me. I've yet to have a set that failed to work.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Don McDowell wrote:
76/444 wrote:[. I just like back up on essentials when in the back country, when a store isn't a 10 minute drive away,... if that's OK with you?
Oh pilgrim that's plumb fine by me. :wink: All these nasty ol skyscrapers around me I forget about how you bowlegged hairy chested cowboys really live. :roll:

Yup, got a bunch of those dam things around here too! :lol:

p.s. no "bowed legs" and not a "cowboy" here, guy! 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 76/444 on Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Modoc ED wrote:Just saw where a set of Redding .444 Marlin dies are selling for right at $172.00 ..........
Wow...you gots to quit hanging out at Gander Mtn. :lol: :lol: Dealer price on Redding .444 dies is $53.

Ed