Minor gunsmithing question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
xxclaro
Levergunner 1.0

Minor gunsmithing question

Post by xxclaro »

Okay, so a few days ago, with the advice of some of the members here, picked up a 8-40 tap to retap the front scope mount holes on my .307 BB. I need a drill bit to match the tap, but the catalogue I ordered from didn't specify a size. Does someone know which is the proper bit to use? Also, those front holes are pretty shallow, terminating at the barrel shank. The threads of the barrel are visible, and have been flattened by past scope mount screws. Do I need to worry about the drill bit touching hte barrel shank? I'm sure I wouldn't want to drill deeply into the barrel, but is a minor dent going to be an issue? Thanks for all your help.
Greg807
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Greg807 »

I think your looking for a #28 bit, that being said, I hate the wait and the cost of a gunsmith just like the next guy but there worth every penny most of the time.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

You probably have a regular (starter) tap. You'll need to start the new threads un til the tap bottoms out, then grind the starter tip down some, tap some more, then grind the tap down some more to bottom the threads.

If you have a hardwarwe or machine supply store around, go look at the middle and bottoming taps to get the idea.

You may be able to find pictures on;ine to compare the different taps.

On an open hole, it doesnt matter, but on a blind hole, you'll need to get a bottoming tap or grind yours down after getting the threads started.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The original holes were D/T'd before the barrel was installed - You don't want to drill any deeper into the barrel than the depth of the existing barrel thread roots. Remember - you're at the catridge head area of the chamber, where pressure is pretty high, relatively speaking.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Save yourself some grief and buy the bottom tap. Sooner or later you'll need both taper and bottom taps in that size anyway.
A #28 bit will work, but a #30 is what they sold me to go with mine when I bought that size tap. It's a bit smaller hole, so tighter threads.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/