Choke for #3 buck on a 20 gauge

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
flounderjig
Levergunner 1.0

Choke for #3 buck on a 20 gauge

Post by flounderjig »

Gentlemen lets me hunt his place for anything at no charge. It is brushy with trees and the primary game will be hogs. Got one feeder up. His neighbors have cows and his fear is shoot throughs. So I am opting for shotgun with #3 buck. I will pattern the gun at the local range at my hunting distances 20-30 yards. Have any of you had experience with 20 gauge chokes and #3 buck? I originally was going to bow hunt it, but I am not getting any younger and my longbow(only traditional equipment for me,) gives my back a workover anymore.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Choke for #3 buck on a 20 gauge

Post by gamekeeper »

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=21719

As stated in above post, shotguns even of the same make and choke differ in the patterns they throw with buck shot. If your 20GA has multi chokes I would try them all at the range you intend to shoot the hogs at.
I'd also try slugs.

Glad to hear you like traditional archery :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
flounderjig
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flounderjig »

Thank you and that is exactly what I will do.
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

Only deer I ever killed with a shotgun was a big doe at about 7 yards with #4 Buckshot out of a Remington 870 12 gauge Riot Gun....open cylinder. Have played with a little #4 in 20 ga for 'yotes and all my 20 ga's shoot it very well with modified chokes.....only 20 ga I have with screw in chokes is a double.....haven't tried it yet....

jumbeaux
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

If pigs are the quest, I would strongly reccomend use some thing else, Have used the 3" 20 on deer and it works fairly well with in 30 yards, but they are much easier to put down then pigs.
Both my 20's that I used where choked MODIFIED, cylinder was to open and full blew patterns apart

Are you sure you can't go the route with slugs? IMO even the old pumkin roller like winchester or federal tru-flights would be better
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

jumbeaux wrote:Only deer I ever killed with a shotgun was a big doe at about 7 yards with #4 Buckshot out of a Remington 870 12 gauge Riot Gun....open cylinder.
jumbeaux

MAN THAT SOUNDS LIKE IT MIGHT EVEN BE MORE FUN THAN BOW HUNTING!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

horsesoldier03....the crazy thing about this was my brother and I were just standing in a pine thicket whispering to each other about where to set up and here comes several deer. I had not even loaded my rifle yet.....he had the riot gun which was loaded leaning against a tree.....I grabbed it and bang....dead doe....little brother never even said a word....course he got half the sausage...

jumbeaux

BTW the next day he killed a really nice deer with my rifle....
flounderjig
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flounderjig »

Thanks again Gentlemen, for all your imput. I think I am going to go with my Marlin 1894c and trust to my ability on shot placement, and a good stout load, and the Grace of God to set it up. Believe me, God has done it for me before.