B-Square on a Puma

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

B-Square on a Puma

Post by mikld »

I have a Puma 44 Mag that I want to scope (I don't think this will be permanent, just for load developement, and I can't see the stock sights). I located B-Square scope mounting system and wonder if anybody tried it. Is it easily removable? I will be installing a receiver sight after I get a semi-accurate load. Any pics?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=492683
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
fatoldfool
Levergunner 2.0

Re: B-Square on a Puma

Post by fatoldfool »

I was thinking about trying one. Read the reviews and they quickly reminded me of the number of mounts and rings that were brought into the shop for broken screws from over-tightening. I wonder if that was the problem in the reviews? Let us know results if you do try one, as it will be in January before I get one.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Been there, done that, bought the T shirt. DON'T DO IT! i had one a .44 mag Puma and I am here to tell you they will not hold up.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Hey GTO,

Do you mean the B-Square won't hold up, or the Puma won't hold up? To late to worry about the Puma, I've got about 250 rounds through it, all lead that I cast myself. Mostly starting loads with WC820 and Unique :lol: Seems OK to me...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

mikld wrote:Hey GTO,

Do you mean the B-Square won't hold up, or the Puma won't hold up? To late to worry about the Puma, I've got about 250 rounds through it, all lead that I cast myself. Mostly starting loads with WC820 and Unique :lol: Seems OK to me...
No worries on the Puma. The B-Square is not sturdy enough to handle the .44 Mag. Maybe OK on a .357 shooting .38's or mild .357's.

I solved the problem and bought a Marlin 94 in .44 Mag to mount a scope on.

I traded my .44 Mag Puma because it was one of the ones produced a few years ago with the overbored barrel. I really liked the way the 92 handles, so I bought a 16" Puma/Rossi/Taurus in .357 and put Skinner brass ghost ring sights on it. It is really good at 50 yds and less. It is now my favorite lever rifle.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[I will be installing a receiver sight after I get a semi-accurate load. ]

If you're eventually going to peep it, it would be better if you installed a peep NOW, rather than deceive yourself by using a scope for load/accuracy development.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

fatoldfool wrote:I was thinking about trying one. Read the reviews and they quickly reminded me of the number of mounts and rings that were brought into the shop for broken screws from over-tightening. I wonder if that was the problem in the reviews? Let us know results if you do try one, as it will be in January before I get one.
I liked mine, but the design wouldn't lend me to want a heavy or long scope on one (but wouldn't put a 10-40x 50mm on a levergun anyway), or put one on a hard-kicker like a short .44 or .454 Casull (mine were on a .357 carbine and 24" 44 Mag octagonal). They are perfect for little 'bantam' type scopes or the 3-9x shorties made for the AR-15. I think all the 'bad press' on the MidwayUSA site must be from people who weren't familiar with that type of install, or just not mechanically very inclined. My only gripe was there is a 'storage' hole threaded in the mount to store the screw from the Puma in, and it is a nice idea, but mine was too hard to get the screw started into, so I just put the Puma screw in my 'Puma' parts drawer.

The mount is just like the ones they make for the Mini-14, if that helps. Once you install and 'zero' it with the two set-screws, just turning the one main screw takes it on and off and it is pretty much dead-on upon re-install for me. You CAN use the original sights, a barrel-mounted aperture like the Marble's Bullseye (see pics in link below), or a tang sight, even without taking the scope off, which helps in sighting-in. Once the rounds are on target with the scope, set it in your rest, and adjust the other sights to same spot (or vice versa).

Here's a couple of photos of my B-Square setup - http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=21511

Here's a bunch of photos of aperture sights of various sorts if that helps (partway down on screen). - http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=20342

P.S. - The reason I wouldn't write-off aperture sights is that they can be VERY accurate even vs. scopes.
Check out the group using the Marble Bullseye sight, from my daughter's 16" .44 Mag Puma on this post (towards the bottom of page) - http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=21695 - and compare it to the 'scoped' groups posted for the three guns at the top of the page. Other than the 'see better in twilight' factor, I have to admit, that 'Marbles' sight enables pretty good shooting, and installed right in the barrel dovetail*... 8)

* the Puma barrel dovetails are a tiny bit wider than U.S. ones, so a soft-drink-can's worth of shimming under U.S.-sized sights is needed.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "