265 grain .45 colt ammo

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

265 grain .45 colt ammo

Post by Tennessee Hayre »

I wanted to get your alls advise. I was reading on a website that the New Vaquero is a little stronger than the standard SAA .45, and that one could load it with a 265 grain +P BCHP from cor-bon. (1200 FPS) (848 FTLBS) is that true. I want to say that not recommended as a planking round but used for protection.
The Ultimate Authority resides in the people and that if the Federal Goverment got too powerful and over stepped it's authority then the people would develope plans of resistance and resort to arms" _____________________________________James Madison_______

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Defender Second Amendment
Constitution Party Member
Hobie

Re: 265 grain .45 colt ammo

Post by Hobie »

I treat MY New Vaquero as having the same strength/durability as the Colt SA. I think that load would be a bit much. I don't think you'd have a catastrophic failure but you'd wear the gun rapidly. 270 gr. at 950 fps is much more reasonable and all that you need.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Thanks Hobbi, I can live with out the +P stuff just wanted a bullet with more grain so 270 sounds good. I can't seem to find anything larger then 255 grain for the SAA. Where would you find ammo like that. I do not reload.
The Ultimate Authority resides in the people and that if the Federal Goverment got too powerful and over stepped it's authority then the people would develope plans of resistance and resort to arms" _____________________________________James Madison_______

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Tennessee Hayre wrote:Thanks Hobbi, I can live with out the +P stuff just wanted a bullet with more grain so 270 sounds good. I can't seem to find anything larger then 255 grain for the SAA. Where would you find ammo like that. I do not reload.
Since you don't reload you are severely limited in choices for the .45 Colt.
The standard bullet weights for that caliber is 250 to 255grs. That's pretty much all you'll find in the standard pressure category.
I believe that CorBon actually states that their heavy hunting ammo is not for use in the smaller New Vaquero. I haven't read their cautions in a while, but I'm fairly sure they had a warning against it the last time I looked.

There are several loads that are easy to put together using a 265gr to 270gr SWC, but you gotta take up hand loading or find someone who can load it for you if you don't.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hobie wrote:Don't reload? Uggghhh... Buffalo Bore has a good standard pressure load.
Hobie,

Could you linky us to it? I was looking for that the other day and couldn't find it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

I have a box of Buffalo bore 255 grain keith style ammo. I paid so much for it I have not shot any of it just saving it for hunting. (1000 FPS) (566 LBS).

Retired Military
Life Member NRA