OT - Surplus Military Powders?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

OT - Surplus Military Powders?

Post by L_Kilkenny »

At the last gun show I was at a dealer had 8lbs jugs of surplus powder. I don't recall the numbers. Cost was $80/each. Does anyone have a list of surplus powders and their civilian twins? Does anyone have a surplus powder they like?

LK
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT - Surplus Military Powders?

Post by Les Staley »

I use WC846, the earlier lot (8# jug) was close to BLC2, (work up your loads).. the last jug I bought was closer to IMR 4064. Also the 4895 works well for 30-06, and family cartridges..Usualy the seller will have data for loading.. I bought mine from Jeff Bartlet's GI Brass.. He will give you advice.. Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Bump since I'm kind of curious myself about an interchangeability list... :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

gibrass.com sells, or used to sell allot of surplus powders and had a list of which civilian powder was close to the various civilian counterparts. Like everything else, surplus powders have gone way up in price.

I shoot allot of WC872 which is a very slow ball machine gun powder developed for the 20mm Vulcan round.

I use it as a cast bullet powder. You can't get enough of it in most cases to get into pressure trouble, and the slow shove is very gentle on alloy bullets. A couple of years ago, I bought four 8 pound jugs for less than $100.00 for the case.
Ranch Dog
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ranch Dog »

A couple of years ago I bought a jug of WC846 from Bartlett Powders in KY. I finally finished up a jug of BL-C(2) and my dad needed ammo for his 30-30.

The last jug of BL-C(2) had a specific gravity of .998, one cc weighed 15.400 grains giving it a VDM of .0649. My jug of WC846 has a specific gravity of 1.020, one cc weighed 15.748 grains giving it a VDM of .0635. I did work up to the same max load I was using of BL-C(2), 36.0-grains. The BL-C(2) filled the case with a 99% density, the WC846 is 97%.

The WC846 shot very well. The max load of BL-C(2) delivered 2223 FPS and the WC846 2236 FPS.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I googled burn rate chart and came up with a chart that had surplus powders. Google surplus powders burn rate and the home.hiwaay.net site had the chart. wc844 was one slot above bl-c(2), in speed,with wc846 one slot slower than bl-c(2), wc852(slow) was a couple faster than 4831 and the fast lots of wc852 is one slot slower than vv-150 or two faster than w-760. wc860 one slot slower than AA8700 and wc872 one slot slower than H-retumbo.
I understand 7383 is like 4831, but has some quirks
Go to castboolits.gunloads.com and there is a surplus powder section.

Hope this helps

Check out gibrass.com or patsreloading.com for surplus powders
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

There's a little info here on equivalents and sources;

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=7584
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...