scope mounts for an untapped savage 99 eg

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
savage99c
Levergunner

scope mounts for an untapped savage 99 eg

Post by savage99c »

was wondering what my alternatives are for an untapped savage.does anybody make a special scope mount for this application.i dont want to tap it because the gun is mint.maybe a peep sight? regards russ :?:
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Re: scope mounts for an untapped savage 99 eg

Post by John in MS »

You might look for a vintage "Stith" mount which uses a block going into the rear sight dovetail and encircles the front of the scope, plus another block which screws to factory peep sight holes already on the rifle. These have gotten a bit expensive with the increased interest in Savage 99's, and occasionally appear on Ebay. That's the only one I personally know of. Otherwise, a quality, original (steel) Lyman or Marble's tang sight would be good.

If collector sights are not to your interest, I believe Williams makes a FoolProof peep sight
that mounts to the action tang in existing holes.

Hope this helps!
John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
savage99c
Levergunner

Post by savage99c »

thanks john will that mount accept modern scopes?
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

99 heres a site with some answers for you . danny
http://www.savage99.com/
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

I have some Stith stuff around here, would have to dig it out to see what I have.
Not sure if it fits modern scope or not. Also have a Lyman 57SB that fits the later guns.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”