Honey Creek Hog

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Honey Creek Hog

Post by RKrodle »

86er and I went out for some hunting Sunday afternoon, Joe was Bow hunting for deer and I was trying to clear out some hogs that have been raiding the feeders. At just a little after 7:00pm this guy came out from behind some brush near a pop-up blind that I was holed up in. He was about 40 or 50 yards out when I popped him with my BLR in 358 Win. He went down hard with a hard quartering to me hit in the shoulder. As I approached he was still moving around on the ground so I put another round in him to finish him. He was a pretty fair sized boar and stunk to high heaven. My shooting didn't help Joe's chances at a deer but we did thin out the hog herd some.

Ricky

DWWC
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Re: Honey Creek Hog

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Nice hog.! When those boars are smelly like that, are they fit to eat? I've been told that the meat from a smelly boar is extremely gamey and tough to choke down. Have you found that to be the case?
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

I usually won't mess with the larger boars because of the smell. I have found that most of the time if I can smell the rank smell of a boar then I can taste it in the meat, and I don't have a very good sense of smell. I would much rather have a small 60 to 80 lbs hog to eat.
Ricky

DWWC
Nate C.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nate C. »

What county did you drop that rooter in? I think the whole state is covered up in them.

I agree with you that anything over 60-80 lbs. is pushing it for meat quality, unless you like your sausage full of sage to mask the gaminess. My brother always says the 'football sized ones' are the best eating--just throw them on the grill.
Texas State Rifle Association http://www.tsra.com

Freemason. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Cool. Don't know anything about wild hogs and barely know anything about domestic ones. But, I would think a smelly hog would taste bad or it could be like RKrodle said and if it smelled bad when I dropped it I'll probably taste it.
Old Law Dawg
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Nice hog and nice rifle.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Dirty Dan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Dirty Dan »

Size does not correspond to smell or gaminess.
I have had delicious meat off a 300 lb boar that did not smell.
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. - John Steinbeck
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

We've taken boars up to 200# at the Langley Ranch, and eaten every one of them. Mr Joe (Langley) removes the cojones *IMMEDIATELY*, as in before the hog is admired, or even 100% dead in some cases. Apparently this and prompt field dressing are the key to good pork.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Good for you Ricky!!! :D
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Nate C. wrote:What county did you drop that rooter in? I think the whole state is covered up in them.

I agree with you that anything over 60-80 lbs. is pushing it for meat quality, unless you like your sausage full of sage to mask the gaminess. My brother always says the 'football sized ones' are the best eating--just throw them on the grill.
Hunt County.
Ricky

DWWC
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Warhawk wrote:We've taken boars up to 200# at the Langley Ranch, and eaten every one of them. Mr Joe (Langley) removes the cojones *IMMEDIATELY*, as in before the hog is admired, or even 100% dead in some cases. Apparently this and prompt field dressing are the key to good pork.

Bingo.

Joe corn feeds his hogs too. That don't hurt.

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

FWiedner wrote:
Warhawk wrote:We've taken boars up to 200# at the Langley Ranch, and eaten every one of them. Mr Joe (Langley) removes the cojones *IMMEDIATELY*, as in before the hog is admired, or even 100% dead in some cases. Apparently this and prompt field dressing are the key to good pork.

Bingo.

The 200# boar wasn't there long enough to eat very much corn <G>.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Congrats Ricky! :mrgreen: I sent this post on to my Dad. He and my Grandparents were from Knox/Hunt Co. area, and we have been talking about going back to visit family and perhaps try to kill a hog or two. This just might get him excited enough to hook up his trailer and meet me out there!

Edit: :oops: got my "H" counties mixed up. My Grandfather was only born in Hunt Co. area.....we want to go to Knox/Haskell Co's to visit and shoot hogs, if they are there.
Last edited by C. Cash on Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Great hog! I had 3 deer tonight, two 8 pointers and a doe. No kill though.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Warhawk wrote:
FWiedner wrote:

Bingo.

The 200# boar wasn't there long enough to eat very much corn <G>.
Joe keeps them in the pen for 2 weeks after he castrates them. At least that's what he told me.

He uses corn for bait in his traps.

Was your boar on a diet or somethin' ?

:?: :wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

Long story, My son was home on leave from the AF Academy. As you may know, Joe's son was in the USAF and happened to be there at the time. Well Joe and my son hit it off and when somebody came by with a big boar in a trailer, Joe turned it loose and told Cody, "there's your hog".

He "castrated" that one before we took pics, and it was as good eating as any of them we've taken down there.

My other son shot a smaller boar the next year, and he still had all his equipment, and was good eating.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

That's a good lookin' hog!

:mrgreen:

C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

FWiedner wrote:That's a good lookin' hog!

:mrgreen:
+1!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8