Larger game taken with the .30 WCF?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
nralover
Levergunner 2.0

Larger game taken with the .30 WCF?

Post by nralover »

Does anybody have any bragging pics of game larger than deer taken with the .30 WCF? I would love to seem some photos of elk, black bear, etc. taken with my favorite caliber. Anyone care to humor me?
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

Post that same question on Google and you will get all kinds of links to hunters who have taken big game with a .30 WCF. Mike
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Ain't there a local feller who punched a hole in a moose?

Had a photo of it hangin' from a tree as I recall...

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Win94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Win94 »

I beleive that was Johnny Y Canuck, a good ol Canadian!!
"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne -
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I think that photo is in the slideshow...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Neighbor kid Sept of 06
[img][img]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f358/ ... viselk.jpg[/img][/img]
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Thats awesome Don!
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

That there picture proves that shot placement and not SIZE that counts! :D
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

With respect to you guys, you seem to talk of elk as being big game and that is true but when looking at that one in the picture it don't to me look that wide! Your black bears look about the size of a big man and I wonder why I get the vibes that so many folk question the caperbility of the 30/30?
Has any one any evidence of failure?
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Nath wrote:With respect to you guys, you seem to talk of elk as being big game and that is true but when looking at that one in the picture it don't to me look that wide! Your black bears look about the size of a big man and I wonder why I get the vibes that so many folk question the caperbility of the 30/30?
When improperly placed, of course. The problem is sorting those out from the anecdotal evidence.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

In September A hunter from Alaska posted with pictures of a Moose(large rack) he killed with a special order Win 94 made I think in 1903. He killed it at 80 yards. was an excellent post. I printed the picture out and have it hanging on the beer-fridge. :) .It was this Mans 20th Moose.Jim.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I hope I understand you correctly Hobie-but has not every caliber got an anecote of it going wrong?
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

Nath wrote:With respect to you guys, you seem to talk of elk as being big game and that is true but when looking at that one in the picture it don't to me look that wide! Your black bears look about the size of a big man and I wonder why I get the vibes that so many folk question the caperbility of the 30/30?
People doubt the .30-30 because for the last 50 years bigger, heavier, faster has been promoted by gun magazines. When anyone questions the .30-30 my answer is "it's still a 150 or 170 grain .30 cal bullet, if you do your job, it will do its".

~Michael
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I have absolutly no experiance in this but if I was in a position to shoot some large critter maybe even dangerous I feel confident with my trapper and maybe I would develope a 200grn r nose for the job and get close or forget it. The beauty of a L action is that when said big'n is still standing there you can go again and again and again with out dismounting! That could just make up for the lack of,,,,something.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

Mostly because people don't like to talk about that bad shot they took and for some reason the animal didn't go down.
That's a pretty good 6x6. Probably runs about 700 to 800 lbs. Not many black bear in the lower 48 run that big.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

Why do men insist on getting into "gun measuring" contests? :twisted:
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

Over the years I and several of my friends have taken Black Bear and many Deer with gun and bow and I can tell you that the 30-30 is UNDERRATED by a few ill informed people on some of these sites. Some of the downgraded things I read about the 30-30 are just plain ignorant talk from people who don't have a clue what a 30-30 is or what it has done for the people in this country for the past 100+ years. I used to get angry at such statements now I just laugh it off. People are stupid enough to think that the only way you can kill a black Bear. Moose or Elk with a 30-30 is to shoot them in the head,Lol. A 30-30 will drop any of these critters as fast as a 30-06 or 7 MM mag from 150-200 yards and don't let anyone try to tell you different. Just try it sometime and see what happens. :D Mike
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Slick13 wrote:
Nath wrote:
People doubt the .30-30 because for the last 50 years bigger, heavier, faster has been promoted by gun magazines. When anyone questions the .30-30 my answer is "it's still a 150 or 170 grain .30 cal bullet, if you do your job, it will do its".
I also think the 30-30 has gotten better due to the availability of better bullets than could be used back in the day, at least for the Big critters like an Elk thats pictured above.
ajw65
Levergunner

Post by ajw65 »

My wife is a Canadian, and her uncle who hunts all the time has killed moose almost every year and all he uses is a Win 94 30-30. He told me you don't need any more than the 30-30.