OT-Old Photo, did this guy shoot a Golden Eagle?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

OT-Old Photo, did this guy shoot a Golden Eagle?

Post by rangerider7 »

I'm no expert on much of anything, but that looks like an Eagle to me. It might have been legal back then, I don't think it is now anywhere in the U.S.A. that I know of.

"That'll Be The Day"
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT-Old Photo, did this guy shoot a Golden Eagle?

Post by TedH »

Wow! Definitely a raptor of some kind, I"d go along with a Golden Eagle.
NRA Life Member
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Yes, it's a golden, and yes, it used to be legal.

If he was a sheep-man, it would have been essential...

Wonder where that shotgun is now...?
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

iN HELL i wAS tHERE and other books, Elmer Keith often spoke of shooting eagles and hawks. Keith hated eagles and blamed them with killing not only sheep but baby elk and deer. When it was legal, he shot them at every opportunity and I suspect after raptors became protected he employed the 3-S Method.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

They used to be considered vermin in most western states in years past. I believe some states even had bounties on them.

I rather enjoy seeing them around. Saw 3 eagles in a day a couple days ago.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Yeah, the eagles are still here, but most of the old sheepmen have vanished, and with them a lot of the lore of the West.

I enjoy watching the eagles, but I cherish my memories of some of the old herders in this country and their stories and wisdom.

I still flush an eagle or two every time I go out in the mountains, or to Oregon Basin.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Yes, looks like a golden eagle and they are very effective predators on young sheep, goats, deer, and anything that size or smaller.
Rumor has it that many an eagle has been shot by goat and sheep ranchers in Texas. I have only seen a couple while hunting down around Comanche, but then, there are a lot of goats raised around there.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

We have a few Bald Eagles down by the dam on lake Whitney, but They don't get off the lake much. We have quite a few Mexican Eagles at the ranch. They seem to like to land then take after calves and fawns, peck their eyes to blind them and then eat them. I don't care for them much. The 3-S method is used often.

"That'll Be The Day"
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Yep,A Golden Eagle! :cry: They are awesome creatures. We have Bald Eagles around here and see them often!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

kewl picture. Even here, along the Susquehana river, there are many nesting pairs of bald eagles. I have been considering getting into falconry, and am starting my apprenticeship in such endeavor. Was out a few weeks ago with a guy who catches and tags raptors and is heavy into falconry. one of those thing on my to do list.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Here's some more for your veiwing pleasure:

LK
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

I watched a flock, yes a flock, of eagles kill a full grown healthy antelope. Eagles winter in a canyon near here. There were approximately 30 eagles setting on every fence post for about a quarter mile of roadside. About half were bald eagles so I would imagine the ones that weren't bald were bald youngsters that hadn't turned whilte headed yet. It took two full days to kill it. First morning, when I went to work thye would fly down to it and just harrass it. The antelope had no problem avoiding them and continued to eat when he wasn't annoyed. When I came back past on my way home, they were striking it and digging in their talons. the antelpoe was still aable to shake them off. On the second morning, things were about the same. I imagine that not too much went on at night. the antelope was obviously tired. On the way home, the eagles were staaying attached as they dug in their talons and they ween't being shook off. The next morning the antelope was nothing but a grease spot and not an eagle in sight. I stopped and walked out into the field the ~200yds this happened from the road and there were tracks of several coyotes coming from evry direction. I wonder how much food those eagles got after all their work before the coyotes arrived. Using team work, they can take down a lot of things that aren't just young ones.
redlevel42
Levergunner 2.0

Post by redlevel42 »

I wonder about those slung shotguns. A couple of the pictures are definitely US in origin, but those guys with the slung shotguns look more like European gamekeepers than sheep or cattlemen.
Georgia On My Mind
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

I know the ole boy I worked with one summer , hated them with a red passion, but never shot any while I was there , but he spoke often about birthing time and the damage they did on new born sheep.

Largest eagle I ever had a chance to work with was a Harpie[sp] believe it was from South America
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

In the 50's rapters were fair game. I have killed a few in my day. I don't think I've killed more than one eagle though. Seems funny when you look back 40-50 years ago and see how much everything has changed. Some things for the better, a lot for the worse.
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Thanks to all for the history lesson.
redbeardinntx
Levergunner

Post by redbeardinntx »

Ok I have to ask,what is the 3-s method?
"Keep yer p****r hard , and yer powder dry." - Gen U. S. Grant
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

shoot-shovel-shut up
"That'll Be The Day"
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Back in Idaho in the 70's ranchers asked you to shoot every eagle you saw while on their place. Hunting rights ( I did a-lot of freelance predator control back then) were often quietly connected to how much you would go along with their wishes. Raptor protection laws were only then (1972) coming into effect and were often ignored.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

redlevel42 wrote:I wonder about those slung shotguns. A couple of the pictures are definitely US in origin, but those guys with the slung shotguns look more like European gamekeepers than sheep or cattlemen.
I think you're right. Look at the printing in the bottom left corner of the last 'foto'.
Paul Jenkins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul Jenkins »

The shotgun in the first photo look like my1887 Remington.