What's a good deal on a 1977 Winchester 94 in .30-30?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

What's a good deal on a 1977 Winchester 94 in .30-30?

Post by pharmseller »

I have a line on a 1977 vintage Winchester model 94 .30-30. I already have one, but they're like potato chips...
The pics show very little wear and good to very good wood. No pics of the action or bore so that's the question mark. The owner claims to be the second owner and he's never shot it.
Factory sights and no butt pad.
He's asking $300 firm, FTF.

What do y'all think?

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Re: What's a good deal on a 1977 Winchester 94 in .30-30?

Post by geobru »

From what I have seen here locally, that is a fair price. I recently picked up a pre 64 for $300. It was cosmetically challenged, but turned out to be a good shooter. The few post 64s that I have seen here that were in good condition ranged from 325 to 375. If the bore is good, I'd say go for it. :wink:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I'd buy it at that price, but I'd like to have at least a 3 day inspection period if it's being bought from out of state.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Sounds like a good buy to me :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
surveyor527
Levergunner

Post by surveyor527 »

No way to shoot it before you buy? It's likely o.k., and priced fair. I'd bring bore-scrubber & patches along just in case. If that offends him, buy a different rifle.
Forget about the danger.........think of the fun!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Based on your title and before I read the message body I was thinking "If it's in good condition $300 or less would be a good deal".
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

$300 for a Japanese '94??!! (I know, they are not made in Japan but we collectors call them "Japanese Winchesters" because they rattle and look cheap.

Personally, I would not pay more than a hundred dollars for one as they are as common as Carters Liver Pills around here. $300 is what I will pay for a very nice post war/pre-64 94, except if it's in 25-35-------------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

"$300 for a Japanese '94??!! (I know, they are not made in Japan but we collectors call them "Japanese Winchesters" because they rattle and look cheap."

Mine shoots 1.78" average off the bench for 5, 3-shot groups at 100; smallest group was 0.59".
Very little load development and no accuracy work. I didn't bother to try to improve on that.

They work, just fine, and are a heck of a lot nicer than the stuff Winchester pumped out near the end!

So, when you find some of these in decent shape for $100, please let me know where, as I'd like to buy all you can find!

John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

That is a good price for a pre-safety pre-rebounding hammer M94. They often go for $350-400 around here.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

They are not for me. Save up and get a pre 64, it's worth it.
"That'll Be The Day"
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

John in MS wrote:
Mine shoots 1.78" average off the bench for 5, 3-shot groups at 100; smallest group was 0.59".
Very little load development and no accuracy work.
They work, just fine, and are a heck of a lot nicer than the stuff Winchester pumped out near the end!
John,
I did not say they were inaccurate or unreliable--I said they are as common as Carter's liver Pills around here. I also said the most I would pay is $100 as the most I could sell it for would be about $50 more than that, as these guns are all over the place around here for $150-$225. :D

Nice post war/pre-64's 30-30's seldom sell for more than $400. I've been in this levergun/gun game for the better part of 40 years and I am proud to admit that the S.E. corner of Pennsylvania is the best place in the country for finding nice guns in nice condition-----and lots of them! :D :D

This is Pennsylvania where most everyone is a hunter and most hunters here use their guns on a one time basis once a year. The rest of the time they sit is closets. I'm still picking up 50-125 year old guns in excellent condition that have been in the same family since they were new. :D

Stop up this way and I'll show you around. :D ---------------------Sixgun
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Sixgun,

Out west we use them to death, and when found in like new condition most folks wet themselves in excitement.
If you had seen me when I found my 1950 several years ago you would have laughed yourself to tears.
I don't think my wife has seen me that excited in 10 years.

If I really wanted a post-64 Win 94 I'd pay the three C notes if it was in good shape. Sometimes it's just cheaper to pay a bit more than drive to your house and get the grand tour :mrgreen: .

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

What do y'all think?
Well, I think you should sell me that 94 Trapper 357 you have for 300$ and then you wouldn't really be spending anything on the new 94 you're looking at...... :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

J Miller wrote:Sixgun,

Out west we use them to death, and when found in like new condition most folks wet themselves in excitement.
If you had seen me when I found my 1950 several years ago you would have laughed yourself to tears.
I don't think my wife has seen me that excited in 10 years.

If I really wanted a post-64 Win 94 I'd pay the three C notes if it was in good shape. Sometimes it's just cheaper to pay a bit more than drive to your house and get the grand tour :mrgreen: .

Joe
Joe, Post-64's are so common, I don't even give them a second look. Keep in mind that I see a lot more guns than the average guy. There was a least a half doz. or more at the last show in Lebanon. There was also a NIB Cowboy Commerative in 30-30 for 5 c-notes. It sat there as nobody wanted it.

Your 1950 '94 has the long forend and is collectable & desirable. To me, 94's made before 1952 are the only ones that interest me. :D ------------------Sixgun