Topics, Posting and Personal Reactions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

Topics, Posting and Personal Reactions

Post by Hobie »

I've known a lot of you via this and other forums for quite a while. I personally think this is a great bunch of people and I really enjoy the forum because of the people here. Unfortunately, there's been a drift towards the "dark side" (not black powder). A recent post was effectively gutted because some comments were apparently misinterpreted (I never got to see them) and what was left was nothing but recrimination so I deleted the whole thing.

If I may make a couple of suggestions about posting to apply in the future.
- Remember that many posting here do so in a more truncated (abbreviated) manner for a variety of reasons. This affects the content which might be misinterpreted. Assume the best.
- Remember, also, that some folks might be knowledgeable or have a valid opinion but not be as articulate or MIGHT suffer constant distractions (like work) which interferes with their train of thought. Assume the best.
- Remember that nobody responds well to personal attacks (which really are unnecessary). This isn't a school yard. This is a high-class place so act respectable.
- Remember that you CAN click on another topic. You don't have to be lured into a flame fest. You can avoid those people for whom you've developed a real dislike. Your "sacrifice" will likely result in greater enjoyment of the board by everyone else.

Everyone here has something in common, we're shooters. I'm willing to bet that we have lots more in common. Most of us have worked in blue collar jobs, some to reach their professional goals. Many of us have served our country in military, police, fire, or EMT positions. IOW, again, we have a lot in common while at the same time having different experiences. Speak to the person as if they were with you, in person.

This isn't touchy feely stuff, it is a request for the forum members to observe normal rules of civility.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post. If you approve could you post to push it Back To the Top? Thanks.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Re: Topics, Posting and Personal Reactions

Post by mod71alaska »

BTT Thanks, Hobie.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

BTT!!!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Hobie, you were articulate in your endeavor to create a peaceful environment here, I believe a small translation may be in order for those of us who may not be up to your level of elocution....
BE NICE!!!
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Thank you gentlemen.

I should like to point out for some new members as Paul reiterated to me that this is NOT like some other gun forums where it is a men's club with bad language allowed, or the internet equivalent of bar room fights for fun are permitted. This is a FAMILY forum. We consider visitors to be as visitors in our living room and speaking in front of our wives and daughters (some of whom ARE on this forum). Remember that and all will be well.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Thanks, Hobie.

You didn't see the entire thread 'cause I started whittling at the language, then the attitude and personal attacks and by the time I'd figured out that the whole thread should just be shot and put out of everyone's misery you'd already fired the round. My ears are STILL ringing! ;-)

There's a saying that's good to keep in mind. "Don't feed the trolls." One should remember that one man's troll is another man's good buddy and often we take someone's behavior in a way in which it wasn't meant. So "Don't feed the trolls." effectively means "Don't reply to threads you find offensive." There's a handydandy little red exclamation mark at the bottom of each person's posts. Click on it and give us a chance to check it out and take appropriate action.

As Hobie noted above, there's been a recent drift toward incivility. We have many people signing up each week. Many drift in from other forums where the rules of behavior are different. It's kind of like the guys from the honkytonk wandering into a decent restaurant and wanting to dance on the tables, throw cigarette butts on the floor and start a brawl. That may fly where they come from but it's not the way this place is run. Remember - This is a high-class place so act respectable. That "act respectable" includes "be respectful". There's no reason to indulge in personal attacks nor to use gutter language. This place was set up by folks who are familiar with about every four letter word you'd be able to dredge up - but they're not impressed by it and they certainly would never sink to using such language in public. And since this is their virtual livingroom to ignore their standards and bring in other types of behavior is less than respectful.

All that aside - this is still one of the most civil places on the net. Let's keep it that way. And the words above are directed at a minority that has not yet learned how we do things here. Thank God that the majority need no reminders.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

BTT
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

btt

I'm no saint in this dept. myself....great reminder.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

C. Cash wrote:btt

I'm no saint in this dept. myself....great reminder.

The original meaning of "saint" was "one separated" and was used to convey the idea of one separating oneself from the world in order to live on a higher plane. Repentance from sin and effort towards living well were signs of one who was a "saint". Later it was applied by the Roman church to only specific individuals who were considered to have lived "perfect" lives. I prefer to use it in the original, broader, sense. So in this case, it behooves us all to be "saints" - not claiming to be perfect but rather striving to live on a higher plane. No need to get dragged into the mire. Wrassle with a pig and you'll get just as dirty as the pig. And the pig will probably enjoy it. And you'll smell like... well... you know... So don't wrassle the pigs. Just flag 'em and we'll tase 'em or smack 'em or whatever is appropriate. The little red exclamation mark below each post works great. Flag offensive posts and we'll take appropriate action.

And thanks for the help guys. Several folks DID flag the inappropriate language and behavior yesterday. Others rushed in to "make things right" - which just complicated stuff for us. Others ignored the trash and had some decent feedback. The thread died due to the tendency towards inappropriate in the majority of the responses (not counting the original inappropriate language in the original post).

The system works. Slowly but surely.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Hobie, Paul.

YOU ARE SO RIGHT :D

Glad you posted this maybe we all need a reminder about stuff now and again.

This is a great place to be, lets keep it that way :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

btt

As far as I am concerned, as soon as the bar room language starts delete the post. If it is in the first post by the author, delete the thread. I know at least half a dozen that I have been contacted by that I believe would agree.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Now after reading Hobie's and AmBraCol's posts I find myself looking over the last several pages of threads so see what's missing. I don't see it.
This is not the first time this has happened and I always wonder what I missed that was so bad.

Was it a subject I'm not interested in?
Did I read it?
Did I post in it?
Was I part of the problem?

Just for my info, which thread was axed?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

BTT
Advice taken and agreed to!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Joe -you don't find it because it is not there - it was deleted, at least one page. By the time I saw it there was only gunsmoke in the air the rest was gone.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Joe, the only important info is that language not appropriate to this forum was used in the initial post and in some of the replies to the initial post. So the whole thread got axed. It may have been an interesting thread - if it had been handled with respect. One does not have to use vulgarities in order to make a point. With a bit of thought one can make a point in a civil, respectful way. And that's all we're asking. The killing of the thread had nothing to do with the general subject matter but rather the way SOME of the participants went about expressing their thoughts and feelings.
Paul - in Pereira

AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

And yes, every few months we have to go over the basics - again. :) We were about due for a dustup. :D Hopefully this one will get us by until at least New Year's...
Paul - in Pereira

41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

AmBraCol wrote:Joe, the only important info is that language not appropriate to this forum was used in the initial post and in some of the replies to the initial post. So the whole thread got axed. It may have been an interesting thread - if it had been handled with respect. One does not have to use vulgarities in order to make a point. With a bit of thought one can make a point in a civil, respectful way. And that's all we're asking. The killing of the thread had nothing to do with the general subject matter but rather the way SOME of the participants went about expressing their thoughts and feelings.
BTT

I hope that when such things are encountered PMs go out to the offenders. Thanks
The Lord Bless You

Terry
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

41 Redhawk wrote: BTT

I hope that when such things are encountered PMs go out to the offenders. Thanks
+1
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

In this world of cyberspace things are said that wouldn't normally be said face to face. Civility is the prerequisite to this forum and the major reason I come here.

BTT
Old Law Dawg
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

BTT
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

BTT

Somehow, I missed the thread in question. Must've been a bit interesting. :|
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Indeed this is a nice place. I've been snooping around the "Sniper Hide" forum to get a little information on accurate shooting with bolt guns. Over there, they hook it up and the profanity gets thrown around quite often. Civility is good.!
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

Hobie....I agree....this is no place for bad language or bad manners....

jumbeaux
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

41 Redhawk wrote:
All we need is a flag. Appropriate action is then taken. Sometimes the moderators even confer with each other or give each other a gentle nudge (thanks Hobie) when the moderators may get out of hand. None of us is perfect nor above the reach of the rules of conduct. We are all expected to treat this place and the folks in it with respect. Even when some of the folks are not so deserving thereof. :) Rather than flame - it's best to put that keyboard down - step away - take a deep breath and a drink of cool water and come back with a refreshed frame of mind. Then either type a reasoned response, flag the post or simply click on something more to your liking. :D
Paul - in Pereira

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

With a good Thesaurus and Dictionary, one can make one's terse point and stay way in bounds :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

BumpDittyBump!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

BTT

I must have missed something good (bad?)...
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

BTT
UNITE
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I hope you guys realize that my Heavy Ladies are classy and therefore fall under the "This is a high-class place so act respectable." requirement. :o

I got a real special heavy lady pic to post for Halloween!!!!
ED
Yer never too old
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Modoc ED wrote:I hope you guys realize that my Heavy Ladies are classy and therefore fall under the "This is a high-class place so act respectable." requirement. :o

If it is the photo I got in the e-mail you will be banned for life if you post it.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Hobie wrote:
Modoc ED wrote:I hope you guys realize that my Heavy Ladies are classy and therefore fall under the "This is a high-class place so act respectable." requirement. :o

If it is the photo I got in the e-mail you will be banned for life if you post it.
Wow...no smileys :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Hobie wrote:

Great, gee thanks a lot, now I gotta know :? :? :?

Not to take away the gist of the thread, but does anyone know why witches can't get pregnant?

answer will be in my next post :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

BTT
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

BTT

"This is still one of the most civil places on the net. Let's keep it that way. "

Hear, hear!! I really enjoy coming here (my favorite site) because of the high quality
folks here, both in manners and in general conduct.

Thanks to all, and best to you!
John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

BTT

Hope I wasn't part of the problem.

I WILL have a stern word with myself before bed.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

kimwcook wrote:In this world of cyberspace things are said that wouldn't normally be said face to face. Civility is the prerequisite to this forum and the major reason I come here.

BTT
me too,

oh yeah btt
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

This is why I am hooked on this place. High class. Caring people. Patriots who love God, family, country, freedom and firearms - and show a genuine concern for their fellow countrymen (and those from other countries sharing the same values). This is simply the finest place on the web - let's keep it that way! :D
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

No place for some of the vulgarity thats seen around.
Problem comes just like any situation anywhere when people gather up. There's going to be some personality conflicts arise,pure natural fact can't be avoided. Going to be some "turf" wars, and king of the hill contests, just happens when more than 2 people get together.
Also going to be some pationate arguements going from time to time, that's the way it is, can't be avoided.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

BTT
+1000 :!: :!:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I agree. Vulgarity is not necessary. I cannot claim that I am free of it, and I am probably as guilty as anyone else. That DOESN'T MEAN that we shouldn't try to be at our best here. Remember the old saying about practice making perfect, well practice is trying to do something correctly, and we should all practice.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Thanks! BTTT.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Looks like I missed the big whoop-up. Regardless, I agree with Hobie.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

kimwcook wrote:In this world of cyberspace things are said that wouldn't normally be said face to face.
It's the internet version of beer muscles...
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

I think this is one, of not the best, sites on the net. When you start looking at other sites and see the language and insults thrown around, I am happy to see us keep this place as it is.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Thanks for the reminder.
"That'll Be The Day"
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Hobie wrote: Unfortunately, there's been a drift towards the "dark side" (not black powder).
Agreed. :shock:
This isn't touchy feely stuff, it is a request for the forum members to observe normal rules of civility.
I may have to start spending more time here again then! Once my FAVORITE site, I've found myself rarely visiting anymore. I'd love it to again be what it was years ago when it was first started and I absolutely couldn't wait to get online after work :)

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Bump
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well so far 40+ have signed on, none of whom I might consider to be the offenders. This is I believe a good idea as it makes a showing to each other of who is interested in a civil in expression, high level forum.

Nate Kiowa Jones
Site Sponsor

Post by Nate Kiowa Jones »

awp101 wrote:
kimwcook wrote:In this world of cyberspace things are said that wouldn't normally be said face to face.
It's the internet version of beer muscles...
AKA Keyboard Rambo's. :lol:

BTT
Steve Young aka Nate Kiowa Jones Sass# 6765

Steve's Guns aka "Rossi 92 Specialists"
205 Antler lane
Lampasas, Texas 76550

http://www.stevesgunz.com

Email; steve@stevesgunz.com

Tel: 512-564-1015

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Our moderators are High Class and for that, I thank you for all you do to keep this forum a great place to visit. :)

"Internet version of Beer Muscles" now that's funny! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.