Break down Lever Guns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Break down Lever Guns

Post by milton »

For most of my life I have been a bolt gun person.Lately I have become interested in lever guns and really enjoy them.One gun I picked up is a Marlin 39 that is a lot of fun to shoot.One thing that has bothered me for some time is the take down feature.Does it not wear out these guns to break them down at various time intervals?What about the little Marlin?You guys that have one do you break it down often to clean it? Just doesn't feel right breaking a rifle down that is accurate! :shock: :shock: :shock:
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: Break down Lever Guns

Post by Terry Murbach »

BEEN SHOOTING MARLIN MODEL 39'S FOR NEARLY 50 YEARS. TAKING 'EM DOWN FOR CLEANING IS HOW--AND WHY !!--THEY WERE DESIGNED THAT WAY. IT CANNOT HURT ACCURACY UNLESS YOU REALLY SCREWED UP SOMEWHERE, AND I CANNOT SEE HOW YOU'D DO THAT. YOU CAN TAKE IT DOWN ONCE A DAY FOR REST OF YOUR NATURAL BORN LIFE AND IT WILL NOT DO A DARNED THING TO THE RIFLE/CARBINE.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

Thank you very much !!! I feel better about doing it now !! :D :D :D
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
redlevel42
Levergunner 2.0

Post by redlevel42 »

milton wrote:Does it not wear out these guns to break them down at various time intervals?:
I guess they will eventually wear out, but not in one lifetime.
Georgia On My Mind
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I have a Model 1897, the first takedown rimfire lever Marlin made. It dates to 1899 and I can break it down whenever I want without any problems.

I never clean my rimfires, but for the silhouette rifles and they get cleaned at the end of the season. Unless you're using Remington ammo you shouldn't need to clean anymore than every 500-1000 rounds. They're like an AK47....no matter how dirty they will still function.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

I bought my 39M in 1972. I take it apart about every 3 yrs or so to clean the insides and spray lightly with WD-40, it has never had a cleaning rod run thru the bore. It stacks standard velocity Win T-22's almost one on top of the other, high velocity opens up a bit. The only wear you can see is from operating the action when it was breaking in.
UNITE