Hornady leverrevolution 45-70

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Paul Jenkins
Levergunner 2.0

Hornady leverrevolution 45-70

Post by Paul Jenkins »

Gentlemen,
I have been loading 45-70 in an "85 &'86 Browning for a few yrs now and have achieved good results with both. 3/4" benchrest grps. /100 yds. Open and scope sights. I use Oregon Trail 350 gr. with a gas ck. 1950 fps. Zeroed at 150yds. 2.375 H. at 75yds. 2.4" low at 175 yds.
The 325 Gr. Hornady FTX is only .1" better at 2050 fps??? Chronographed and measured. They are selling a big Lie.??? What have you experienced with the other Cal.? I get 250 O.T. for about $58 shipped . Hornady FTX $36/50. Your thoughts?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Hornady leverrevolution 45-70

Post by J Miller »

Paul,

I said this before I ever saw one of the Leverevolution cartridges: It's a gimmick to get the "I'll try anything" crowd to buy ammo.

The only ones I've bought and tried are the .45 Colts and I wasn't overly impressed. Only shot one group with them so far and that was from my Marlin 1894 Cowboy at 100 yards. All the bullets hit the target paper, but the group was dismal at best. Maybe 6 to 8 ". I didn't measure it.

I'll stick with my tried and true loads.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Paul Jenkins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul Jenkins »

Ididn't say they weren't accurate. I said the ballistics are not what they claim. Bullet drop. Still not as good as the O.T. bullets.
Paul Jenkins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul Jenkins »

I have to admit I was lucky to find a good , accurate bullet for my 45-70's so fast. I haven't tried many more other than a M.M. custom 360 gr./Gc that shoots as well. I love my "85 & '86. I do have a 4.5X 14 scope on my "85. The '86 has Marbles Tang.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Most of the people I've heard bragging on them impressed me as being occasional shooters at best. I don't see any real advantage, accuracy wise. The only advantage I see is that the flex tip might make them open up better.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

No disrespect, Gents - but you are comparing apples to oranges, since the Hornady Flex-tip factory loads aren't meant to compete with HANDLOADS !

What you are doing is comparible to saying a new 454 Corvette is nowhere near as fast as Don Garlit's AA/F dragster.

The LeverEvolution loads are rightfully compared to factory loads - most of which are loaded down for the older guns like the Trapdoors, etc.

When compared to those loads - like they were meant to - there is significantly less bullet drop over the cartridge's practical range.

I found the Hornady LeverEvolutions to strike 3"- 4" higher @ 100yds, when using the same sight setting/zero as for the other factory 300gr JSP's (Winchester) my rifle was sighted-in for ( a Marlin 1895).

buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I have never shot 45/70 leverevolutions, however, I can't match the accuracy of them group for group in the chamberings I have tried them in --- 308me, 35 remington. I also have some untried 44 mags and 444's. Will I start to use them exclusively-- no as they are too expensive, but they are very accurate for me so far. As far as the better ballistics, I rarely shoot more than 150 yards so its really a non issue.
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

FWIW,

I gave up reloading many years ago. I shoot factory only now and , I now shoot Hornady ammo exclusively in 44mag and Marlin444.

I bought a couple boxes of the LE flex tip for my Marlin lever 44mag. WAS NOT impressed with groupings, at all,... relinquished the remaining box plus to my side arm use.

When I picked up my Marlin444, I bought a box of flex tip and and a box of Hornady LM flat nose.

Once again, the flex tip didn't cut it for me in the grouping department but the light mag flat nose were excellent. I have now stocked up on Hornady 265gr. light mag flat noses for my 444 and I am very confident they will do whatever I need done,... in North America!
Last edited by 76/444 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

The "lighter, faster, farther, flatter" kids seem to buy 'em. Don't know how many actually get shot at anything important, and most of the children who do shoot 'em couldn't tell you with any certainty what difference they make -- 'but they must make some big difference -- it says so in the tables...' :roll:

The old guys -- you know, the ones with some savvy in their heads and experience under their belts -- are sticking to the old, tried & true 405-and-heavier bullets, in good, stout handloads.

Me thinks the Marlin Marketeers may have struck at least low-grade paydirt with the LeveRevolution GIMMICK.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Their brass is shorter, too, which I think is just stupid; some beginner will put the wrong loadin his once fired brass and get blown up. Hornady won't be liable, but they darn well ought to be.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

JimT was on an African hunt with a fellow who used and gave a very positive report on the results. So, apparently it works fine.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Old Savage wrote:JimT was on an African hunt with a fellow who used and gave a very positive report on the results. So, apparently it works fine.
Lots of things "work fine..."

Did the new stuff work "finer" than the older technology...? I seriously doubt it. Adding another 20 - 50 yards to the 'usefulness' of a .45-70 is gilding the lily, IMO.

No offense, boys, but I'll back my 405-gr Oregon trail bullets or 440-gr. CPB GC slugs at 1850 fps against Hornady's 325-gr. LeveRevolutions any day...
Last edited by Buck Elliott on Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Now I know why I'm not a big LE fan - I'm a handloader :)

Not my cup of tea - I find that the existing components, not to mention cast boolits work just fine in my levers.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Paul Jenkins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul Jenkins »

Pete44ru wrote:No disrespect, Gents - but you are comparing apples to oranges, since the Hornady Flex-tip factory loads aren't meant to compete with HANDLOADS !

What you are doing is comparible to saying a new 454 Corvette is nowhere near as fast as Don Garlit's AA/F dragster.

The LeverEvolution loads are rightfully compared to factory loads - most of which are loaded down for the older guns like the Trapdoors, etc.

When compared to those loads - like they were meant to - there is significantly less bullet drop over the cartridge's practical range.

I found the Hornady LeverEvolutions to strike 3"- 4" higher @ 100yds, when using the same sight setting/zero as for the other factory 300gr JSP's (Winchester) my rifle was sighted-in for ( a Marlin 1895).

Pete
I bought the325 gr. LTX hornady and am handloading them.. I didn't say they were no good. I said I like the Oregon Trail 350 better.