What's the largest, most powerful cartridge/rifle you own?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Re: What's the largest, most powerful cartridge/rifle you own?

Post by stew71 »

That would be any of my 30-06's....a Rem 700, a 1956 H&R M1 Garand, and a 1942 1903A1 Springfield.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

It's either my .45LC or the 12ga.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Model 71 in 450 Alaskan. Probably seen here before but here's a link ...

... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

By "most powerful" I'll take it to mean a combination of TKO, momentum, sectional density, and energy (ala Robertson's Dangerous Game criteria)

It's close 3-way tie between:
348 / 71
358 Savage 99
30-06 Rem 700

But the 348 with a 270 gr Hawk at 2,250 fps comes closest to Robertson's criteria than the other two. Out beyond 200 yards I'd go with the '06.

I have several 45-70s but they are all antiques and thus loaded below the cartridge's full potential. A modern 45-70 kills the 348 wcf in terms of Robertson's criteria.

So for me...348 wcf (of course :wink: )
Chad
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

You said biggest and most most powerful... two competing concepts in my arsenal.

Biggest... that'd be a Hawken .53, with 100grains of 2F it's also pretty powerful... I wouldn't hesitate to hunt any NA game with it... (with back up of course!)

Most powerful... that depends, it could be a 700 Remington in 7mmRemMag or a Sharps in .40-90SBN, on attains higher velocity, but the other'n packs a lot of wallop!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:Model 71 in 450 Alaskan. Probably seen here before but here's a link ...

Im Drooling!!!!!! :mrgreen:
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

I'm guess'n that my .348 M71 and my '95 405 are pretty close, especially with 300 grain bullets. Then again I have a 450 Marlin that ain't a slouch either, I've gotten 2250 fps with a 400 grain bullet (jacketed of course), but darn that little thing kicks out of 18" barrel. I've loaded my .300 Win Mag with 220 grainers at 2750fps...suppose that'll work too. My .444 following Paco's formula's ain't for the weak kneed either.
Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

I've got a .50 BMG single shot rifle, but am embarassed to admit the mfg because they're widely decried as makers of junk and there's a lot of unsubstantiated talk about their guns being unsafe. I dunno, the bolt has three largish locking lugs and it's worked okay so far. :?

If we stick to rifles, I guess second place is a Shiloh Sharps made back when they were located in Farmingdale, NY: .50-140 (3&1/4"). If things were opened up to include shotguns, there's a 10 ga 3&1/2" magnum double barrel in the safe that's right up there....
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

My largest rifle is a 1959 Bsa Monarch featherweight in 30-06.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

How about these?? :shock: Do I win????!!! :lol: :evil: Larger caliber would be my 58cal muzzleloader

Its only a semi!! Don't think I could afford to feed the real thing. This is bad enough. Seldom gets taken out. MG3 tripod to get it off the ground farther, as I am 6'4" and tall of body.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

35 Rem
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Nothin' fancy; in order of purchase, my "largest" cartridges/rifles are a lefty Winchester Model 70 in .375 H&H, a Ruger No. 1 in .375 H&H, and Ruger No. 1 in 45-70. I will leave it to the cartridge gurus to say which is the "larger" of the two cartridges.

I have no digital images of the Winchester or Ruger .375s, and the .45-70 Ruger's pics have too many pixies, or something like that. Pesky pixies.
Last edited by Rexster on Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Hey, this closer-up pic had fewer pixies. Photo by the dealer, Collector's Firearms in Houston, Texas.

I love this rifle. Once I figure out which glass it will wear, and/or figure out a good iron sight combo, it may become my favorite rifle, the one I would keep if all the others have to go away for some reason.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

If you're a believer in kinetic energy, it would be my .338 Win Mag.

If you believe in the TKO theory, one of my 45/70's would be the most powerful.
rhead
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rhead »

Ruger #1 in 45 70 and a Marlin 95 in the same. Both great guns.
The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

30wcf all anybody needs. :lol:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:Model 71 in 450 Alaskan. Probably seen here before but here's a link ...

WOW! now that's my kinda gun. WOW :mrgreen:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

45-70 springfield. can be loaded hot close to the .458w.c.f.
ArcticGoose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ArcticGoose »

Thanks Tutt. A friend of mine built it for me and Turnbull did the action work and case colors. The 50EX is one of my favorite calibers. Would like to have gone as far as Rimfire did on his, but just don't have the funds to pull that off. Rimfire's is one of the most beautiful guns I've ever seen!
"Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not used one or is un-wittingly commenting on their marksmanship." Phil Shoemaker
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I am in possession of several muzzleloading rifles built by my late brother. He enjoyed the novelty of really big bore flintlocks. This is a picture of him holding his 2 bore.

Maybe one of these days I'll get busy and cast some ball so I can do a little shooting report for you fellas.

SHASTA
Last edited by Shasta on Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I recond at this time it's my old Winchester 71, in 450 alaskan, however I also own a couple of 45/70s that could probably loaded up to about the same.
NRA Life Member, Patron
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Shasta, when you get ready to shoot that thing, I'll come up to Shasta County (your not that far from me) and watch you shoot it. I'll even help you off the ground afterwards! :lol:

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

CowboyTutt wrote:Shasta, when you get ready to shoot that thing, I'll come up to Shasta County (your not that far from me) and watch you shoot it. I'll even help you off the ground afterwards! :lol:

-Tutt
It's a farther drive for me... but, DITTO!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Neil Casper
Levergunner

Post by Neil Casper »

I have never needed a very powerful rifle for varmints and rabbits, but I do have an '03-A3 in .30-06 for fun shooting and a Marlin 1895 in .45-70 for more fun shooting.
neil
If it doesn't fit in my sea bag, I'm not going!
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

Gday all
I no longer own the piece, financial circumstances at the time and all, but I did own a custom Ruger No.1 in 500 nitro express. One day I will buy it back or get another one built. I sure miss it. Total fun gun. Should never have let it go.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Molasses wrote:I've got a .50 BMG single shot rifle, but am embarassed to admit the mfg because they're widely decried as makers of junk and there's a lot of unsubstantiated talk about their guns being unsafe. I dunno, the bolt has three largish locking lugs and it's worked okay so far. :?

If we stick to rifles, I guess second place is a Shiloh Sharps made back when they were located in Farmingdale, NY: .50-140 (3&1/4"). If things were opened up to include shotguns, there's a 10 ga 3&1/2" magnum double barrel in the safe that's right up there....

Would that be the ALS .50, or the vulcan ? There were a couple of incidents with an ALS at some long range competitions i hear. I am considering a BOHICA myself --- but the ALS incidents have caused my .50 cal lust to die down
----- Doug
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

Sold my .404 a couple of years ago. For now I'm down to a couple of .58 front stuffers, a 24" .444 Marlin, a Pedersoli .45-70 roller, a Browning 1886 full rifle and a .458 Winchester Grand African.

A boy I work with likes to use 2400fps, 350gr loads in his .458 Mauser for deer. That seems a bit much, even for campfire braggin' in Texas.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Does my 12ga smoothbore slug gun count? Other than that 30/30 is it.

LK
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Streetstar, kinda figure the Hesse(Vulcan).

Still wonder what happened with the ALS. If you look at the hammer and rear of the bolt, I don't see how the hammer could contact the firing pin until the bolt is maybe 15degrees from fully locked up, max. With that much lockup, don't see how what happened, happened. Maybe if the firing pin channed was dirty, and with a floating firing pin (like the AR15), and when bolt shoved forward, the pin was still protruding and set off the round. Can't fathom any other scenario.
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Blackhawk44, you sound like a magnum freak like me!!!! :lol: Actually I probably don't qualify as I do have the 303 Brit and 358 Win which are not magnum cartridges. But you've got a very nice sounding collection to me. The 50 BMG rifles are just too large to be practical to me, yet they need the weight to be shootable. I'd sure like to shoot one though! :D

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

moodyholler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by moodyholler »

50-90 sharps with 600 grain slugs and 100 grains GOEX cartridge. moodyholler
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Moody, what is the twist rate of your barrel? My friend's tried such 600 grain bullets out of their 50-90's at the Billy Dixon range, but the rifle's twist rate did not support it. It was too unstable to be accurate at long range. I love the 50-90 and have been considering such a rifle, but the twist rates in the rifles I have seen on Gunbroker are not optimal. They were too slow if I remember right. I'd like to know what yours is if it works for you.

-Tutt

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Thunder50 wrote:Streetstar, kinda figure the Hesse(Vulcan).

Still wonder what happened with the ALS. If you look at the hammer and rear of the bolt, I don't see how the hammer could contact the firing pin until the bolt is maybe 15degrees from fully locked up, max. With that much lockup, don't see how what happened, happened. Maybe if the firing pin channed was dirty, and with a floating firing pin (like the AR15), and when bolt shoved forward, the pin was still protruding and set off the round. Can't fathom any other scenario.

I dont think the Vulcan has been accused of putting anyone's eye out and causing other more graphic amounts of bodily harm yet unless i am mistaken. Gun snobs are crazy Just be careful shooting any .50 , even a Barrett - :o

Heck, on this forum , at least we recognize the utility and fun factor of price point rifles like the little Henry .22 and Rossi carbines, as well as any number of SA Colt copies. Although they may never command collector dollars, they fill an important need for folks who dont need to sink the cash in a Marlin 39 or Winny 1892, (myself included-- i am a shooter more than a collector)
----- Doug
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Maybe one of these days I'll get busy and cast some ball so I can do a little shooting report for you fellas.

SHASTA
looks like all you have to do is buy a set of balls for a pool table and start shootin'
Last edited by El Chivo on Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Saz
Levergunner

Post by Saz »

Kind of a toss up between the "most powerful". For a cartridge rifle it is my Ruger K1-A in 35 whelen. When loaded right she will take anything I need her to. The other is my Pedersoli Kodiak SxS in .58. Stoked with a pair of 560gr conicals on top of 115gr of FFG, she doesnt have much for range but if a big bear or moose showed himself within 100 yds look out!
Tom Richardson
Shootist

Post by Tom Richardson »

Cowboytutt,
You keep hanging with McPherson, Williamson, and Torkelson (SP), there is no telling what you may be shooting next.

Mine are:
375 H&H
.338 win Mag
Several 45/70 rifles
Son got the 458 Lott
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Marlin 444.
dirtcowboy
Levergunner

Post by dirtcowboy »

.458 Winchester mag "african" & .375 HH mag "alaskan"
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

My 35 Remington. It's a BEAST, I tell you! :D

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
scarville
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scarville »

Biggest I own is a 308.

What most people call a "right" is the equivalent of a dog walking on a leash. Just because your leash is a little longer than the other dogs' does not mean you don't have a master.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

CowboyTutt, next time you are at the Billy Dixon shoot, let me know you are coming to it and I can either bring my 50bmg there, or you can come to a range about 30 miles away from Stengels and shoot it. :D
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Depends I guess. One is a Savage in 338 Win Mag, the other is my 1895SS in 45-70. I suppose in a pinch, either one would do. :D
Remington40x
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Remington40x »

Laugh if you want: It's a .300 Savage. Second is a .270 Winchester. Goes downhill quickly from there. My philosophy is that if I can't kill it with one of those two and a controlled expansion bullet, I need artillery support. Needless to say, I don't live in the land of large bears or other man-eaters.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

348. danny
moodyholler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by moodyholler »

Tutt, I want to say 1-24 but will have to check it out for you. It is a super gun to shoot, and the natives eyes really bug out when you hand them a cartridge. moodyholler
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Well my biggest bore is a Rem Roller in 45-70. If you are looking for speed and thump it is my 308 followed by .303 Brit. Although my 45colt trapper is no chump either.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Factory Remy M700 XCR chambered for 375 H&H 8) .
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Bucks Owin
Levergunner

Post by Bucks Owin »

Since my M-70s in .300 and .338 are history, it'd be my .45/70 Handy Rifle. Seems when my age passed the half century mark I started "looking back" in regard to what calibers I play with. (Or maybe my recoil tolerance has diminished! :roll: ) These days I'm into the .45 LC, .30/30 and .45/70. All old timers like me! :lol:
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Are you the same Bucks Owin that got banned from CastBoolits for not following through on trades and sales. If so, then you own me for a set of RCBS 45-70 dies I sent well over three years ago. You were supposed to send me a Redfield Mauser receiver sight.

If you are some other Bucks Owin, then welcome to the board. If you are the same Bucks Owin, then you need to go to CastBoolits and make things right some some people.
handyrandyrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by handyrandyrc »

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... Bucks+Owin

Howdy, Bucks! I thought I remembered you from somewhere! Good eye, Charles.