OT - Is there any way to make a factory 10/22 look good?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Is there any way to make a factory 10/22 look good?

Post by FWiedner »

Maybe you've seen this:

The 5-millionth Ruger 10/22.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=89153513

Even with the premium wood and the pretty scroll-work, it's still just a 10/22...

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[is there any way to make a factory 10/22 look good ?]

IMO, Yes:

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/admin ... temID=7980
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Buy a Volquartsen Custom.....problem solved. :D
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Pete my hunting buddie has one of those picked it a few months ago for half that price and your right it is nice looking.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
neil mitchell
Levergunner 1.0

Post by neil mitchell »

I think mine looks better than it did new .I modified the carbine stock and added the hand checkering myself .
[iImagemg]
[/imImageg]

Neil
NRA,Disabled Vietnam Veteran
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Nice job on the stock and checkering Neil. Very nice looking and it appears you didn't "color" outsice the lines. :lol:

I've always thought the 10/22 was a pretty nice looking little gun. They sure as hell have worked whenever I've pulled the trigger and even the standard configured ones are pretty darn accurate and my 10/22T is very accurate as long as I do my part.
ED
Yer never too old
neil mitchell
Levergunner 1.0

Post by neil mitchell »

Thanks ED ,that is the second stock I've checkered and it was a lot of fun but very tedious and time consuming .Woodworking is my "other" hobby.

Neil
NRA,Disabled Vietnam Veteran
45-70-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 45-70- »

There's nothing wrong with the standard one. Mine must be about 25 or 26 years old and God only knows the amount of ammo shot thru it. Never had a problem with it. My buddy ran over his with his Jeep. Busted the scope but the gun was fine.
I am a salty, old, retired Chief Petty Officer who is not impressed by much.

"We're surrounded, that simplifies our situation." Chesty Puller

Member of Marlin Firearms forum '02-'04
Member of Marlin Talk forum '04-?
Member of original Leverguns forum '04-'07
Member of new Leverguns forum '07-?
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

wrote:[is there any way to make a factory 10/22 look good ?]
Yup. Trade it for a CZ!! :wink:
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

WOW Neil! Darn good looking 10/22!!!

I also like that Manlicher style stocked International version....
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

That is a nice exception indeed Neil. Like the Mannlicher too. I agree though overall...hard to make a 10/22 look good to me. It's value becomes aparent when you pick it up and shoot it, but it's not a looker.

I've never counted but I'm sure mine has been shot in the thousands of times. I was shocked recently when the bugger just froze up, with the bolt half way back. Had to take it apart to get it going again...as soon as I pulled the trigger group out the bolt closed and it moved freely again. Strange. :?
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Gentlemen,

I think that Five-Millionth 10/22 looks pretty fancy, but, to me, it is just another "special edition" in a long line of sales gimmicks. The 10/22s work pretty good, but they are pretty common, too.

I have a Marlin 6079 that looks a lot like the 10/22. It is nothing special, but it is a gun, and just another "special edition", in a long line of "special editions".

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I'd swop it for a Winchester 9422 but of course you'd have to a add some cash to the deal! :wink: :lol:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Oh, don't stuff all over the 10/22.

It's a great and dependable little .22 rifle. One can buy all sorts of stocks and barrels for them from Cabela's to make them look like machine-guns, though I don't know why; they look pretty good out of the box. I'd get one in stainless.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I always liked the look of 10/22s until I used one, seemed not so user friendly as I imagined, maybe I needed more time to get used to it.
Anyway I have just put my name on my first semi auto, a Browning Take Down. :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Tristan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tristan »

Ya know, it's funny how something that does what it was designed for, is affordable and available, can be so looked down upon.

I bet if Ruger decided to discontinue the 10/22, that it would begin being refered to in reverent tones and someone would produce a book detailing all the different varients and their production numbers, dates and celebrities that have used them or collect them.

Just because something is common, it's nothing special?

I think I'll go get one next week.

- Tristan
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

5 Million ! :shock: I have 2 of them, a Mag, and LR
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

Tristan wrote:Ya know, it's funny how something that does what it was designed for, is affordable and available, can be so looked down upon.

I bet if Ruger decided to discontinue the 10/22, that it would begin being refered to in reverent tones and someone would produce a book detailing all the different varients and their production numbers, dates and celebrities that have used them or collect them.

Just because something is common, it's nothing special?

I think I'll go get one next week.

- Tristan
Only a fool would look down on a 10/22.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Nobody is criticizing the function or looking down on the venerable 10/22.

I've had the same one for 25 years and wouldn't give it up if cost the life of a rabid cotton-tail.

I'm just saying that all that scroll-work and fancy wood is kinda like puttin' lace on a bowling-ball.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Go to rimfirecentral.com and look at all the ways those guys can spend money on a 10/22. Some of them are downright beautiful, but then beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you want function you can go with a Ramline stock, which was my route. If you want pretty step up to a Boyd's laminated wood stock. Then with a Green Mountain bull barrel they'll shoot the smallest little groups you've ever seen for the money. Mine will put 10 rounds into just over 3/8". It also helps other problems you might have in your shooting.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

I love my 10-22 Mag! It is a bit ugly as you claim, but I shoot is so darn much that it is a member of the family. It is on its 3rd barrel right now, a .920 Carbon Fiber from Butler Creek. I have no problem firing 1000 rounds in a day at the large gophers on my brothers Montana ranch. Dawn till dark in the early spring, with some awfully big Rainbow trout mixed in also from the Missouri River. The gun does need a couple hours rest.The gophers dig holes in the ground, and he is afraid the cattle could break a leg in them.I have no idea where they keep coming from, but there are droves of them. They are a bit smaller than a Prairie Dog, but bigger than a Squirrel. Shots are fairly close, up to 100 yards. I told him for all the broken legs I saved him, he owes me the next barrel. :D
H_Talon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by H_Talon »

here is the place to find 10-22's ... how good is personal ...

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php

would a extended mag release on a 10-22 count as a lever gun ???

lololololololololol

Talon
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

Who was it that said "Ugly is as ugly does" the 10-22 is the most versitile 22 out there. Like Jeeps there are more aftermarket accessories out there for that rifle than any other except for the AR-15. Common but uncommonly dependable. :)
winter1857
Levergunner

Post by winter1857 »

A 10-22 was the first new gun I ever had, bought lo those many years ago on my 18th birthday. It cost 89 bucks! It was beautiful to me!

It accounted for literally hundreds of squirrels and rabbits. What more could anyone want?

If beauty is utility, the 10-22 is gorgeous.
Like bees, we must put our lives into the sting we give.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Here's a point that has always puzzled me. As dependable, reliable, and just plain functional that a 10-22 is, I still can't figure out why folks will take that perfect, simple, $150 gun and then put $500-$1,000 into it?
Why not just keep it as-is, and spend that same money on a real target rifle, or something collectable that will increase in value?
Every time I see these dolled up 10-22's for sale later, they don't bring anything near what the guy has sunk into them!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I like mine! :D
Great shooter!!! :wink:
PS. the Fajen English Walnut stock with Neidner steel butplate and pistol grip cap,inletted (2 screw) sling studs, and real Ebony forend cap and hand cut checkering was on sale from Midway for $89.00 !! Wish I had bought all they had. :shock:
The SS 22" match, air gauged sporter weight barrel,also from midway was $69.00
They both were short run(no longer available)items. :(
Last edited by Chuck 100 yd on Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bj94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bj94 »

I think the stock 10/22 is a pretty good looking little carbine.

I remember that Ruger made a few special models long ago with different stocks. IIRC the International was one of them, I don't remember what the one was called with the standard length forearm.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Mine didn't cost but about a 10th of what they are asking for that one - and I like it more!!! :D

HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

Yes, Tom.

GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

ImageImage
ImageImage

BEAUTIES AREN'T THEY? :lol:
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

My old man's 10/22 S/N 43847 that I gave to him Christmas 1964. The extra stock came from the Ruger scrap box 40-odd years ago when my best friend was burning their scrap in his wood stove... It has a non-standard pattern, completely finished , but tossed because the elaborate forearm checkering was slightly skewed. Bill gave it to me
and I've been shifting it from corner to corner for the past 40 years.
The Old Man's 10/22 will stay the way it came from the factory...[img][/im[img]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h193/ ... 010006.jpg[/img]g]
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

FWiedner wrote:Nobody is criticizing the function or looking down on the venerable 10/22.

I've had the same one for 25 years and wouldn't give it up if cost the life of a rabid cotton-tail.

I'm just saying that all that scroll-work and fancy wood is kinda like puttin' lace on a bowling-ball.

:)
If I made 5 MILLION of them and sold them all, I'd sure dress up the 5 millionth gun. It has a really nice stock, and even though I don't care for scrollwork, it still loks pretty. The point is: THEY MADE AND SOLD 5 MILLION OF THEM.

Now, maybe AMF or Brunswick has done the same with their bowling balls, but there is no comparison.

You do raise a good point, because the 10/22 is a very utilitarian tool, but hot dang. 5 MILLION?!?

That's reason to celebrate!
longhair1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by longhair1957 »

Here are a couple that I did up. The brown one is mine and the gray one I built for a friend, I have plans to do a more classic one with a nice walnut stock and a octagon barrel.