some advice on picking up a set

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
uncoolperson
Levergunner

some advice on picking up a set

Post by uncoolperson »

so for our wedding present (or delayed reception present, as we got married 12/01/06) I talked the girl into getting a matching set of lever guns.

me, biggest burliest cartridge i can fine (stop a grizzly)
her, something slightly more girly (a 44 mag is a bit much for her)

the plan is for our one year to get matching wheel guns (taking the same cartridge as our levers).

these have to have some after market support... she'll want some gold trim and a pink stock (bleh).

any ideas?

$$ is an issue of course.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Congratulations to you! Do you have a style preference? Some ideas:

1892 clones: she in 357 Mag. and yours in 454 Casul. You could buy a 357 Mag. pistol to share ammo with her rifle/pistol combo.

1894 Marlin: you in 44 Mag. and her in 357 Mag, each with a Ruger Blackhawk in your respective calibers to compliment?

Help me out fellas!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

Wow! that she is a willing participant shows great potential for the future missus :D :D :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

C. Cash wrote:Congratulations to you! Do you have a style preference? Some ideas:

1892 clones: she in 357 Mag. and yours in 454 Casul. You could buy a 357 Mag. pistol to share ammo with her rifle/pistol combo.

1894 Marlin: you in 44 Mag. and her in 357 Mag, each with a Ruger Blackhawk in your respective calibers to compliment?

Help me out fellas!
+1 - hit the nail on the head!!! :D
uncoolperson
Levergunner

Post by uncoolperson »

505stevec wrote:Wow! that she is a willing participant shows great potential for the future missus :D :D :D
she likes playin with guns almost as much as i do

lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

If you want the biggest and baddest, get a 95 or an 86 in 45-70 as a rifle and get one of the magnum research 45-70 bfr revolvers :shock:

Or... do what the others said :D
Break on through to the other side!!!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

C. Cash wrote:Congratulations to you! Do you have a style preference? Some ideas:

Help me out fellas!
+2
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Cherokee
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Cherokee »

C Cash has the idea Marlin 357 & 44 Mag, but the 45 Colt can be a real stomper. Matching Rugers.
God Bless America
NRA Endowment
TSRA Life
SASS
USAR
Ruger & Marlin Accumulator
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

:D
Last edited by Idahoser on Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uncoolperson
Levergunner

Post by uncoolperson »

thanks all for your replies...

the stopping a bear thing was serious... going to move back to alaska some day.

got all googgly eyed at the magnum research .30/30 revolver.... BANG! muhaha... that'd be way too cool.

and something about a revolver with a choke tube is kinda neat.

after all the advice i think i might go with 1894 marlin in 44 and 357.
uncoolperson
Levergunner

Post by uncoolperson »

well i guess sometime between when i last brought this up and today she decided she wanted a .44, does that change the suggestions?

since I've only ever handled at 44 mag, how does a 45 long colt handle in comparison?

again for me the bigger then better, not to compensate for thing. but because i am looking at moving back to alaska, and i'd like something to stand behind the NEXT TIME a bear decides to charge me (other than a single barrel break 12 gauge with pigeon shot).
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

A 44 wheel gun that you can shoot 3 different calibers in and since you're going to Alaska..........

http://www.czusa.com/product_detail.php?id=78
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

There should be no problems with a 44 Mag. for you or your wife. If you reload then you can shoot really mild cast loads for practice, bumming and defense here in the lower 48. Then you can load up stomper 300+ Gr. bullet loads for bear stoppage. You can also shoot factory 44 specials in the 44 Mag. I use Federal 200 Gr. Lead Semi Wad Cutter Hollow Points and they are a mild accurate load which is still a good defensive load for two legged critters and pooches that want to ventilate your rear end. As with everything, expect that you will run into problems at some point, but with a little persistance you'll get to where you'd like to be in regards to your gun/loads. I think it's better to shoot something like a 44 well and instinctively than it is to miss with a 454 Casul. Better yet consider your Big Bear Medicine gun as a totally different project(gives you another reason to "have" to buy a gun). "The bears will eat us honey unless I get a..." :wink: :)

Edit: Dr. Walker's suggestion below makes alot of sense too, if your not hung up on both of your rifles looking the same.
Last edited by C. Cash on Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

uncoolperson wrote:she likes playin with guns almost as much as i do
Yeah, they are all mighty cooperative before they start to nest.

Get what you need while she's acting like it's OK with her.

:?
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

A matching set for you and your bride.
I'd go with a Marlin 45-70 Guide Gun stainless steel for you and a Marlin 1894 44magnum in stainless steel for her.
Sounds like you made a great choice in mates.
uncoolperson
Levergunner

Post by uncoolperson »

C. Cash wrote:..."The bears will eat us honey unless I get a..." :wink: :)
i'm still trying to work in getting an m4 so i can get an m203.... i'd give it the nickname of "bear be gone (as well as anything else)"
jdad wrote:A 44 wheel gun that you can shoot 3 different calibers in and since you're going to Alaska..........

http://www.czusa.com/product_detail.php?id=78
as cool as that is (it really is)... still wouldn't look right with a lever, and an alaskan with anything that says alaska but a birth cert and/or a license plate is called a tourist (i'm going to have to toss the belt buckle when i move back)... might have to consider what i could do with a file

thanks again all for you advice, i've got some pondering to do
uncoolperson
Levergunner

Post by uncoolperson »

well it's getting about time to order

and i found this...
http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,6191.html
big lever gun.

one last chance to throw me some recommendations...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

uncoolperson wrote:well it's getting about time to order
and i found this...
http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,6191.html
big lever gun.
one last chance to throw me some recommendations...
I've heard of some reliability problems with the import 1887s. And I haven't heard of anyone using slugs outta them. While they have a high COOL factor, THAT should NOT be a consideration when in BEAR country!

I'd go with a Winchester 1886 in 45-70 for yourself and a Marlin 1894 in .44Mag for the wife. Distinctive enough that you won't be picking up the wrong one at the critical moment.

Although the .45Colt is no slouch when reloading as you wish; it can and will equal .44mag loads, yet with factory .45Colt loads it's as meek and mild as you'd like. If you choose that route, I'd get a Rossi '92 clone. (Talk to Steve @ Steve's Gunz) for one of his pre-slicked up versions. You won't be sorry; but, it may lead to some squabbles with the Missus as to who gets to shoot it. They're THAT much fun!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
uncoolperson
Levergunner

Post by uncoolperson »

thanks, that definitely would be a bad thing.

as for the 45 long colt, I've been reading the only way to really get them up to par with a 44 mag is reloading (which i haven't started yet)...
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

she likes playin with guns almost as much as i do

Er...........That would be the ole "bait and switch", eh ? :mrgreen:
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

You could go with his and hers 45lc. Hers with those sweet little cowgirl loads and yours with bear stomper loads.
You can cack yourself laughing when you "accidentally " drop a bearstomper into her ammo box now and then :twisted:
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Gryphon Black
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gryphon Black »

Here's what I got..
I have a Ruger super Redhawk in 454 casull, which a friend who used to guide up there endorses for bear defense. What he said was "I wouldn't try it with less in a pistol". And it will shoot the 45colt as well. As for the lever, a Marlin 1894CB in 45colt. To make bear loads for that, You cut a casull case down to colt length and load it to near-casull pressure under the heaviest bullet you can find, alternating hollow points and solids. With ten or more of those at your disposal in the rifle, and getting the extra speed from the rifle length barrel, your gonna damage that bruin. And you get to have the matching pair, lever and wheel.
I can't say enough good things about the way a Ruger is built, and they are SO EASY to work on. And the Super Redhawk is built in stainless.
My lever is a 24", but you may want the 20" for more handyness.
As for her, if she already wants the .44, good news! the Super Redhawk is made in .44 as well! They come in 9.5 or 7.5 inch barrels, and the grip is molded rubber for recoil damping.

That's the best advice I can give, but you don't lack for good advice here. :D

Gryphon
bang.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Help me out fellas!
+3 - And get yerself a .45 colt or .454 pistol too. (all I carried for bears on the Kenai was my 6" FA .454...)

...unless you are intent on needing more whompum than .454 then get a .45-70. :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
uncoolperson
Levergunner

Re: some advice on picking up a set

Post by uncoolperson »

So while gun hunting for myself today i saw 3 things, a 20 gauge with a pink with black splatter stock, a pink mossberg plinkster, and a model 94 for $250

i bought the wife the plinkster... it was pink (it'll match her taurus), and it's .22.... she still thinks it's too much of a toy.

but after some more thought that 94 with the sloppy action and loose stock was a good deal (it's a 30-30), and would make a good match for her to my 32 special. I was being selfish and only thinking of myself at the moment. so as soon as i can I'm gonna run and grab that for her, look into getting a stock that's kinda styled like mine (that one's newer, mine's older.... gotta make em match). So if it's still for sale (cheap because it's loose and the blueing is warn bad... but we don't mind that right?), she'll have a 94 in 30-30 and i'll have my family 94 in 32 special.

perfect pair right? well after I get some his and her leather for it right?

I'm thinking http://www.levergunleather.com, anyone have good things to say or someone they recommend that could make future orders kinda match past orders (that whole getting more things in the future, just cool slings for now).

Thanks for reading all my rambling... i'm happy, she like's her .22, and she's hip to a 30-30.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Wife's happy = everyone's happy! :D
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

With bear on the menu and pistol compatability in mind, I'd say y'all need a pair of Rossi leverguns. A .454 Casull Puma for you and a .357 Magnum M-92 SRC for her. Then next year, a nice .357 Blackhawk or GP-100 for her and an Alaskan Model REdhawk for you.

Let me suggest that for the third year, you need a matching pair of double-barreled shotguns, a 10 or 12 for you and a 20 or 28 gauge for her.

For the fourth, let me suggest a Marlin Model 39 for each of you followed by a matched pair of Ruger Single-Sixes.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
uncoolperson
Levergunner

Post by uncoolperson »

well this just got dramatic.... coolant line in my truck broke tonight, so I've gotta hope i can find a way out to this pawn shop before she gets sold. (guns always more important than spending 3 hours under the hood righ?)

everyone cross your fingers for me.
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Re:

Post by AndyM »

FWiedner wrote:
uncoolperson wrote:she likes playin with guns almost as much as i do

:?
:lol: :lol: from a happily married man like myself - that is funny - good luck
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Ponder this; a pair of stainless Ruger 44 magnum sixshooters. A 5/2" Super Blackhawk for her and a 5 1/2" Redhawk for you. And if necessary, replace grips on each to individualize the poppers for suitable handling. A perfect his and hers pair for the lower 48 and quite appropriate for AK.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
uncoolperson
Levergunner

Post by uncoolperson »

Well, went and picked up the rifle today... i get home look up the serial V105###, and I'm think "whoa that can't be right!"

sure enough it wasn't, I didn't look over the barrel close enough (I trusted the price tag description on the rifle)

ted williams model 100 in 30-30

The price was rightish or atleast enough we'll keep it. Unlike my 32 special, i won't feel bad about fixing the bluing on this rifle.
uncoolperson
Levergunner

Post by uncoolperson »

well, I did a nice break down of her to clean the rifle out. way too much copper shavings everywhere, some powder chunks that i didn't get rid of completely, and a nice coat of dark matter down the barrel.... now she's shiny inside, well lubed up, and no copper.

I'm not sure if it's the ted williams and sears or the (I'm assuming post 64), but who thought all those shortcuts was a good idea deserves a good talking to.

Took me forever (well 2 minutes) to get the pivoting lower tang right (why cant it just be beat in like my .32), and too long to realize that the firing pin wasn't rotated correctly to get the lever linkage in(maybe i got lucky with my .32 and it's the same on my .32).

but all in all, aside from the lever being a little loose (the pin between the lever linkage and the bolt is undersized, unlike the way too tight fitting one in my .32 [tapping the side of the receiver accidently compared to hammering on a small screw driver down the hole]), and the trigger being a little looser than my .32... the rifle seems to function nicely, gonna take her out this weekend and let the wife get a go at it (and the pink mossberg .22 i picked up last weekend for her)

I'll post some pics when i get to it... and in a few months when i get the fancy leather.
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

You guys need matching pre-safety Marlin Mounties. You can't have too many .22s or Marlins.
.........THE TWINS..........

uncoolperson
Levergunner

Post by uncoolperson »

here's our lever guns at the moment (gonna skip a picture of her new pink .22 rifle, cause it ain't a lever gun)

gun leather from http://www.levergunleather.com/, i got some water on it and am trying to remove the stains right now... as arrived was much prettier.

http://flickr.com/photos/uncoolperson/3001516930/
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

There you go. That is a nice set. I like the leather, great stuff.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re:

Post by AJMD429 »

Help me out fellas!
That's what I was about to say...!

The only other 'variant' I could think of might be if you prefer "long" actions, get a .444 Marlin and a Blackhawk or Redhawk in 44 Magnum (same bullet diameter at least, though not case). You could even get her the .44 Magnum Marlin and just load to .44 Special level in it; shoots like a pop-gun on steroids, and not even too noisy with those loads. Then everything would be one bullet size if that is important.

Still, I think the above two suggestions pretty much say it all;

just depends on whether you prefer Marlin 'hard-tops' or Winchester/Puma 'convertibles'...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Those are a VERY nice pair! :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!