Barrel liner thickness?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Barrel liner thickness?

Post by awp101 »

How thick are barrel liners? Can I take a .30 cal barrel and have it lined for a .22 centerfire?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Barrel liner thickness?

Post by mescalero1 »

what kind of .22 centerfire?
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Anything from say .218 Bee, .219 Wasp, .22H to .225 Win.
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Mike Rintoul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike Rintoul »

I think you are referring to a barrel sleeve. What happens, in short, is that the bore is reamed smooth and a tube that contains the chamber and rifling diameter of the new caliber is fused into the smooth tube you've created. The tubes can be turned down to very small diameters, and of course made to fit the "hole" you've reamed in the original barrel. I have always heard of barrel liners as being an insert that reduces that original bore diameter by a few thous but does not add substantially to the wall thickness or weight.
Mike Rintoul
Owner
Grizzly Cartridge Ammunition Company
www.grizzlycartridge.com
Cast Performance Bullet Company
Rainier, Oregon
(503) 556-3006
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

This guy is a master at it. http://www.johntaylormachine.com

If you need a more credible reference :D PM Marlinman93. John does barrel work on regular basis, for him.

John will also promptly return all your emails.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Mike Rintoul wrote:I think you are referring to a barrel sleeve. What happens, in short, is that the bore is reamed smooth and a tube that contains the chamber and rifling diameter of the new caliber is fused into the smooth tube you've created. The tubes can be turned down to very small diameters, and of course made to fit the "hole" you've reamed in the original barrel. I have always heard of barrel liners as being an insert that reduces that original bore diameter by a few thous but does not add substantially to the wall thickness or weight.
Could be, I've always heard them called barrel liners since a lot of times they are used to reline a worn bore.

I'm curious if I could use one to reline a .30 cal barrel down to a.22 centerfire or if it would be too small to fit. I don't know if they have a wall thickness of just a few thousandths or a wall thickness of a quarter inch.

If I can, I have a plan. If not, it's new barrel time. :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Yes,
Do-able, just don't get crazy and overpressure it.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

It just dawned on me I made the question a lot harder than it needed to be.Image The outside diameter is what I need to know. Does it vary by liner caliber and/or manufacturer?
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I think so.
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

Brownells carries Redman liners. Go to Brownells.com and look at the specs. Generally relining is only done on low pressure cartridges or straight wall cartridges. You don't want to cut the chamber through the liner. For high pressure cartridges you probably need to do what Mike is referring to.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Mike Rintoul wrote:I think you are referring to a barrel sleeve. What happens, in short, is that the bore is reamed smooth and a tube that contains the chamber and rifling diameter of the new caliber is fused into the smooth tube you've created. The tubes can be turned down to very small diameters, and of course made to fit the "hole" you've reamed in the original barrel. I have always heard of barrel liners as being an insert that reduces that original bore diameter by a few thous but does not add substantially to the wall thickness or weight.
How are the two "fused"?
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

The low pressure ones I've seen done used loctite type material for mounting bearings in a loose holes.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

To bring this back to life for a minute, there's a thread where someone is asking about 7-08. Rather than hi-jack that thread, I'll hi-jack my own. :mrgreen:

Can a .308 be relined to 7-08? I know the chamber isn't exactly the same, how would that be handled?
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jdad wrote:This guy is a master at it. http://www.johntaylormachine.com
If you need a more credible reference :D PM Marlinman93. John does barrel work on regular basis, for him.

To heck with the sleeves and liners - I want one of THESE things he makes...! :shock:

http://www.johntaylormachine.com/53.0.html
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The O.D. of most .22 cal barrel liners is 5/16", and the instructions call for drilling the donor barrel with a 5/16" bit prior to epoxying or soldering the liner in place.

Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
How are the two "fused"?

Theres a few ways YK. They used to solder them. John Taylor uses high temp loktite, I'v heard others epoxy them in. At any rate if John Taylor does it you cannot tell other than theres a bright shiny chamber & bore.

As far as if you can put a 22 cal liner in a 30 cal barrel I dont know for sure but I'd think so.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Pete44ru wrote:The O.D. of most .22 cal barrel liners is 5/16", and the instructions call for drilling the donor barrel with a 5/16" bit prior to epoxying or soldering the liner in place.

Wouldn't they need to be bigger around for a 22 centerfire?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Yes, they would be, leverdude - Which is why the liners are for .22 rimfire cartridges, and for relining to .22RF.

The only solution(s) to a shot-out/ruined .22 CF barrel would be to either rebore it larger or replace it - IIRC, a liner made large enough to also accommodate a large chamber is properly called a "barrel". ;)

Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Pete44ru wrote:Yes, they would be, leverdude - Which is why the liners are for .22 rimfire cartridges, and for relining to .22RF.

The only solution(s) to a shot-out/ruined .22 CF barrel would be to either rebore it larger or replace it - IIRC, a liner made large enough to also accommodate a large chamber is properly called a "barrel". ;)

Good answer! BTW I wasn't being a smart ***, I figured they might make them at least for the hornet or 218Bee ect, a 22/250 or similar is another story. I had a 25/20 lined & the liner was plenty thick enough to rechamber. :wink:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[ I wasn't being a smart ***, ]

I didn't take it that you were, pardner - I was jes being my usual jerk self. ;) :mrgreen:

I do thet, sometimes - when I'm off my meds. :roll:

Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Pete44ru wrote:[ I wasn't being a smart ***, ]

I didn't take it that you were, pardner - I was jes being my usual jerk self. ;) :mrgreen:

I do thet, sometimes - when I'm off my meds. :roll:

No sweat, just these plastic boxes fog up the subtleties of conversating sometimes. :wink:
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Liners for .22 cal. come in either 5/16" or 3/8", and either wil;l work in a .30 cal. bore. A liner for .22 CF is possible, but not for every CF caliber. Some work at pretty high pressures, and a liner is not a great idea for those.
If you email John Taylor at his webiste he can let you know what is possible. If John wont do it, I wouldn't even consider it. He is a pro and wont endanger you or his livelihood.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/