OT-Hornaday Cast boolit lube?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

OT-Hornaday Cast boolit lube?

Post by SmokeEater2 »

I bought a couple boxes of Hornaday cast .45 bullets and they have some sort of graphite (or something) dry lube on them. Anyone ever used them as is? I'm wondering if this powder stuff will be enough to keep them from leading up the barrel at standard 45 Colt speeds. Anyone? :?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

SmokeEater2,

I've used a lot of Hornady, Speer and Remington lead bullets.
I've never found the lube they put on to be enough. I used to run them through my Lube-A-Matic to add more real lube, but the last year or so I've been lubing them with LEE Liquid Alox lube right over the factory lube. That seems to work wonders.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I tried some years ago before I started casting my own. I was not impressed with them and spent a long time removing lead from my bore. They definitely need more lube on them to shoot clean.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The soft swauged factory bullets need several things to work clean.
>They need the proper chamber pressure to expand them to seal the throats and bore.
>They need to be reasonably close to the throat diameter to start with, shooting a .452" bullet out of .457" throats won't work no matter how much lube you add.
>They are more critical when it comes to case neck tension. If the neck is too tight it will actually squish the bullets down a bit and worsen the problem.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Thanks for the answers guys. I'm gonna' slap some liquid Alox on 'em.
Big Bore 94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Big Bore 94 »

Leading was a big problem even with a new barrel and very mild loadings. That was more than 15 years ago and I have never finish my first box.