The Largest man who ever wore a colt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

The Largest man who ever wore a colt

Post by Tennessee Hayre »

I was watching the Encore western channel and was thinking (Wild Bill Hickok) and (Clint Walker), must have been the Largest men to ever carry a six shooter. What do you all think.
The Ultimate Authority resides in the people and that if the Federal Goverment got too powerful and over stepped it's authority then the people would develope plans of resistance and resort to arms" _____________________________________James Madison_______

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Defender Second Amendment
Constitution Party Member
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Re: The Largest man who ever wore a colt

Post by Kansas Ed »

Large in physique or large in reputation? If physique, large in stature, or large in girth?

If we are talking reputation, no western figure in history is known the world over as Jesse James. He is world renowned, where most people outside of the US have seldom heard of Hickok or Earp or any of the others. Probably because of all the pulp fiction that was written about JJ during and after his life.

Ed
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

john wayne, james arnes and chuck conners, tom selleck...... actor wise!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Seems I remember reading Bill Jordan was a big guy.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

From the pictures I've seen Frank Hamer looked to be a big man,and so was Bill Jordan
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

mescalero1 wrote:Seems I remember reading Bill Jordan was a big guy.
Thats who I was thinking about. That dude was 6'6" :D

I heard "Andre the Giant" shot pistols in his spare time. :D --------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

+ 1 for Clint Walker,always liked him and always thought he was better than the credit he got!
Rumble.com/ hickock45
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

most people outside of the US have seldom heard of Hickok or Earp or any of the others
KansasEd, I don't know what gives you that idea.
I wear a foot long tattoo on my forearm of a .36 navy colt over a deadmans hand, you wanna guess where I got that idea from?. While we don't get taught American history in Australian schools we do get lots of American movies and also famous names do crop up in other media from time to time. Most Aussies would be familiar with at least a handful of the bigger names, in fact most people here would probably be able to name more American history figures than Aussie colonial figures.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Yep, about 6'5" with hands big enough he could "shoplift whole hams." (according to "Skeeter" Skelton)

But long Bill ws not what I'd call a really big man. More long and lean than big.

Besides, He was more of a Smith & Wesson double-zction mn than he was a Colt shooter, whether DA or SA.

FWIW, Bill Jordan was and still is one of my heroes.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

gundownunder wrote:
most people outside of the US have seldom heard of Hickok or Earp or any of the others
I wear a foot long tattoo on my forearm of a .36 navy colt over a deadmans hand, you wanna guess where I got that idea from?. While we don't get taught American history in Australian schools we do get lots of American movies and also famous names do crop up in other media from time to time. Most Aussies would be familiar with at least a handful of the bigger names, in fact most people here would probably be able to name more American history figures than Aussie colonial figures.
I was thinking the same thing but was keeping quiet since I live in the CSA/USA. Thanks for making the point I was considering.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Image Image
UNITE!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Hoss Cartwright? Harvey in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

I have met both clint walker and james arness. James Arness is several inchs taller than clint walker. I know I have read clint, some think is 6 ft 7". He isnt. My Dad and a uncle both were identical at 6 ft 5"s, shrinking a inch or so with age. Clint looked identicaly sized as dad and uncle. Dont go by this picture of my wife and clint. Theresa is 5ft 11"s, but clint was kind of sloutching and leaning. Clint has even said too that James was a inch or two taller.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

"General Sullivan A. Meredith, tallest General in the Civil War 6'7"...." probably wore a Colt at some point.

But - I understand that Kansas Ed is 6' 10".
Last edited by Old Savage on Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Here is a very old picture of dad. Big guys usualy lose about two inchs in heigth with age. I know when I measured for the service I was 6 ft 2"s, now I have to stretch hard for 6ft even. Dad was 6 ft 5"s way back. When he died at 90 he was about 2"s less, both looked the same heigth and weight to me.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Harvey/Ted Cassidy - also lurch was 6'9".

Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I'm 6'5" but I don't carry Colts. :lol:
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Gun Runner
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Gun Runner »

I just saw and talked to Clint Walker a month or so ago. He is just about doubled over with some sort of back problems. He is also starting to loose his sight. His wife Susan(I think thats her name) drives him everywhere now. We both live in the same town.

Gun Runner
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Gun Runner wrote:I just saw and talked to Clint Walker a month or so ago. He is just about doubled over with some sort of back problems. He is also starting to loose his sight. His wife Susan(I think thats her name) drives him everywhere now. We both live in the same town.

Gun Runner
That's sad news. Prayers said for Mr & Mrs Walker.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Doc Hudson wrote:
gundownunder wrote:
KansasEd, I don't know what gives you that idea."
I was thinking the same thing but was keeping quiet since I live in the CSA/USA. Thanks for making the point I was considering.

I've read that from a couple of different sources through the years, but I imagine that they are talking primarily of Asian and Euro peoples, as Aussies and Canadians are kinda from our own backyard so to speak. May not be true.

And OS, I've shrunk over the last 25 years and am down to 6'9"...besides, I don't shoot worthy of being considered a sixgunner :D

Ed
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

You and me both, Kansas Ed(on the shooting part). I'm only a 6 footer.

Bill Jordan came to mind first. Also, wasn't the Texas Ranger, Big Foot Wallace a big guy? I wish someone had filmed Jordan drawing his revolver. Evidently he was both one of the biggest and fastest men to get his Smith into action. There are pictures of him doing his light bulb trick where he has a light bulb on the top of his hand, held chest high, palm down on his right side. By the time he has drawn and fired his pistol, the light bulb was still above his holster and also as apart of the trick the light bulb falls right into his empty holster.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

bogus bill wrote:Here is a very old picture of dad. Big guys usualy lose about two inchs in heigth with age. I know when I measured for the service I was 6 ft 2"s, now I have to stretch hard for 6ft even. Dad was 6 ft 5"s way back. When he died at 90 he was about 2"s less, both looked the same heigth and weight to me.

Bill,
Your Dad looked like a mighty man with hands to match. What did he do for a living?

(My father was 5'3", a master plumber, and had hands like fielders gloves... Last thing I looked at before I left the funeral parlor.)
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

C. Cash wrote: ....Bill Jordan came to mind first. ... There are pictures of him doing his light bulb trick where he has a light bulb on the top of his hand, held chest high, palm down on his right side. By the time he has drawn and fired his pistol, the light bulb was still above his holster and also as apart of the trick the light bulb falls right into his empty holster.
Flash bulbs, back in the "old" days when the bulbs were used for taking photos. :P
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

C. Cash wrote:You and me both, Kansas Ed(on the shooting part). I'm only a 6 footer.

Bill Jordan came to mind first. Also, wasn't the Texas Ranger, Big Foot Wallace a big guy? I wish someone had filmed Jordan drawing his revolver. Evidently he was both one of the biggest and fastest men to get his Smith into action. There are pictures of him doing his light bulb trick where he has a light bulb on the top of his hand, held chest high, palm down on his right side. By the time he has drawn and fired his pistol, the light bulb was still above his holster and also as apart of the trick the light bulb falls right into his empty holster.

I don't know where you might find them, but you can bet your bottom dollar that dome, if not all of Bill Jordan's trick shots were caught on film. He spent a number of years on the lecture circuit and appered on a number of TV shows demonstrating his prowess with a six-gun.

FWIW, I'd love to buy a video of his trick shooting myself.

Image Image
UNITE!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I used to have a video tape called fast and fancy shooting which had Bill Jordan, Herb Parsons, and vintage footage of ed McGivern, among many others. Very impressive stuff Bil j did the ball on the back of the hand into the holster trick but I was most impressed with him shooting an asiprin at 20 feet from the hip. Lent it to somebody about 10 years ago....never seen it again. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

bogus bill wrote:Here is a very old picture of dad. Big guys usualy lose about two inchs in heigth with age. I know when I measured for the service I was 6 ft 2"s, now I have to stretch hard for 6ft even. Dad was 6 ft 5"s way back. When he died at 90 he was about 2"s less, both looked the same heigth and weight to me.

Bill, your Pa didn't look to be one to mess with. Heck he makes that '38 Ford look like SmartCar, that little itsy-bitsy think hang'n on the fender must have been lunch.

My vote is for Pat Garrett, they called him "Jaun Largo" down New Mexico way back in the late '70's (1870's). Some claim he was 6'8" or so.
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Guys, dad said he only got to third or forth grade. He was oldest of 10, and had 6 or 7 older half brothers and sisters. Sounded like dad got in a fight with his teacher in primer school, quit and grandpa was happy to let him stay home as a slave on the farm! Dad said he probley got big hands milking a large herd of cows. He was a machinest. My grandparents were germans from russia. Several of dads older siblings were born in volhyina, now the ukraine. Dad said grandpa,s hands were even bigger than his. Dad was a very queit man. Mom was born in the old country general store business and loved it. She raised me alone durring the war in a country general store. Dad didnt like the long hours and after the war they sold the store and he worked in factorys. Here is another picture when they got married. Mom was 5 ft, 10 or 11"s too.

gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I remember and greatly enjoyed Clint...that distinctive and big but gentle voice and demeanor. But wasn't that probably a "Great Western" in Cheyenne--or just some grips off of one? :-)
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Bogus Bill, looks as if your dad would have no problem reaching the top shelf.
Old Law Dawg
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Bill, what part of Wisconsin do they hail from again? How long has your Pa been gone? Back in the late sixties I met someone in a small dinner outside of Amherst Jct that looks very similar to your Pa. This guy walked in and my cousins and I all were astonished at the size of his hands, he looked like an older version of your Pa.
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

I figure ole George Patton should qualify......not in stature but in honor.....

jumbeaux
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tennessee Hayre »

Thanks everyone, Lots of good stories and info
The Ultimate Authority resides in the people and that if the Federal Goverment got too powerful and over stepped it's authority then the people would develope plans of resistance and resort to arms" _____________________________________James Madison_______

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Defender Second Amendment
Constitution Party Member
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

oldtimehunter, we were from the berlin area. Folks used to run a general store at auroaville. Lived at eureka 51 till dad died in 2003 at almost 90 years old. I once worked for the conservation dept in 1962 out of winnebago, fishries division. Dad` was raised near kingston on a huge farm. Waushara, winnebago and green lake countys was our area.
In the late 30s folks ran that resort at pear lake just north of red granite. I am sure they knew the amhurst area, even I remember it.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sixgun wrote:
Thats who I was thinking about. That dude was 6'6" :D

I heard "Andre the Giant" shot pistols in his spare time. :D --------------Sixgun
I bet you those weren't stock trigger-guards! :shock:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

gundownunder wrote:
What has been the biggest export of the United States - unabated - for the last century?

Our culture. Amazing how much many others outside of the USA know of our country and history. Unfortunately, given that much of this is entertainment-based, a ton of it is simply wrong!
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Post by tomtex »

Some Army Pvt.
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Well I wish a picture to post, my Bounce is 6-5 and weighs in at 400 pounds. He ordered a new gun belt and holster from Cimmarron and it has 71 loops for 45's add to this a 7 1/2" Colt and a 10" bowie knife and the outfit weighs more than a good lever gun and...

He showed up at the range proudly showing off his new rig, then he strapped it on tied down the holster and walked to the shooting line and tripped, on the gun belt. The rig was so heavy that it wouldn't stay up! He had to make leather suspenders for his gun belt!