OT - Doctor murdered at his ranch near Bellville UPDATED

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

OT - Doctor murdered at his ranch near Bellville UPDATED

Post by Rexster »

He was a good friend of my wife's family. Folks, be careful, even outside the big city.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/met ... 83503.html

There were five bad guys in three vehicles, and they fired on the responding police officer.
Last edited by Rexster on Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: OT - Doctor murdered at his ranch near Bellville

Post by Griff »

May the culprits be caught quickly... My condolences to your wife's family for the loss of their friend.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Tragic. I hope the people involved are all caught and pay the ultimate price. They made him pay his. Condolences to the family.
Old Law Dawg
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Wow.

By the way, did I mention that I sold all my firearms, and no longer have anything of value on my property...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

AJMD429 wrote:Wow.

By the way, did I mention that I sold all my firearms, and no longer have anything of value on my property...?

Unfortunately I doubt that that would lessen the likelyhood of being a victim of the new breed of drug crazed criminals. :(
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

When all of the nasty stuff floats to the surface, this will turn out to be "drug related".
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

Sorry to hear this. I remember when I was a patrol deputy back in the early 70's a whole lot of doctors were buying up submachine guns for their home protection guns. Mainly due to the growth of the drug cultures in their area. Usually Uzi's, Mac-10's and even a few Thompsons. Of course back then a lot of Doctors kept desireable drugs on hand. They would buy them through thier business licenses. I don't think too many keep anything druggies want on hand now days. Different times I guess.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My Aunt and Uncle in Topeka, KS were the victims of 2 drug users who went to the house 2 doors away from where they thought they were a few years ago. The 2 perps thought my Aunt and Uncle's house was where someone they had sold or bought drugs from (or something like that) lived. Within one hour of leaving my Aunt and Uncle's place one of the perps was shot and killed by a bartender they attempted to rob. If my family's experience is anything to go on, this case probably involved drugs and mistaken identity. May the perps be caught and convicted of thir crimes. ( I want only the guilty punished) May the Doctor's family be safe and find comfort.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Prayers said for the victims and their friends and family...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Rexster,
Keep us informed how this turns out, food for thought for all of us that live way out.
Charles, where were the dogs?
Interesting to hear the rest of the story.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Sad.

I hope that these pathetic excuses of humanity are caught and
delt with appropriately.

jb
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Charles wrote:When all of the nasty stuff floats to the surface, this will turn out to be "drug related".
Well, EVERYTHING is drug-related, at least peripherally, but it would be a major shock if the doctor was involved in the illegal drug trade. Being chief of critical care at Methodist Hospital in Houston, in the Texas Medical Center, does not leave much time for running a sideline narco business. OTOH, such a position does leave one vulnerable to being selected as a target. It is not for nothing that so many of Mas Ayoob's lethal force and handgunning students are doctors.

The one unknown quantity in the news stories is the "other" man who was shot during the home invasion. An employee of the doc, I wonder? Perhaps I will learn more when I get to work tonight, though as this happened two counties over, and I am just a peon, anyway, I may learn nothing. (I wear a badge.) During an investigation, it is not unusual to leave some known details a mystery to the public, as it helps when filtering information in tips from the public. The bad guys did seem to be fleeing back toward Houston, NOT toward South Texas/Mexico, FWIW.

This has my wife really upset. Her mother worked with this doctor, and then was later his patient, before her death. My father-in-law has been this doc's patient. My wife has done volunteer work (CERT instruction) in Bellville, and we had thought about settling in the Bellville area when we retire.

One good thing, on a personal level, is that my wife asked me how many rifles we had handy in the house, and their locations. I think she had gotten complacent. She has her own house rifle, of course, a Rossi .357 '92, and her own 870 pump gun. BTW, we don't have a bunch of rifles stashed all about the house; I am not a believer in that strategy.
Have Colts, will travel.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Cliff wrote:Of course back then a lot of Doctors kept desireable drugs on hand. They would buy them through thier business licenses. I don't think too many keep anything druggies want on hand now days. Different times I guess.
Yeah - I have 'expensive' drugs allright - about two months worth of cholesterol medication at any given time... :lol: Our 'pain' medicine inventory is a half-empty bottle of expired Tylenol and some generic Advil.

I do remember the days when drug reps actually sampled controlled substances (schedule 3 & 4), and told me harrowing tales of being stalked by creepy people.

Drug reps I've talked to, by the way, seem to be among the more-likely-to-be-armed individuals you'll meet - good income, work out of their car, perception (still) that they might have 'drugs', and lots of travel.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

There is also the public perception that Doctors are rich and keep money on hand at all times. Having known a few Doctors, this does not hold true in my experience, but the perception remains. Without knowing any more, I will hold to my guess that this was a case of mistaken Identity or that the perps were on drugs, or both.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

All ya gotta have is a nice home, a nice car or two, and appear to be vulnerable. Near here, a doc and his wife were tied and beaten, the wife fondled in front of her husband, etc to get them to give up their atm cards and pin numbers. they were lucky. their stolen car was recovered (wrecked) and ATM cameras identified the perps who were caught.
Certified gun nut
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

that is awful
those responsible are not even human and should not be treated as such when thay found

Rexster please keep us posted
the victims and their friends and family are in my prayers
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Rexter... In the recent past we have had a couple of medical doctors gunned down for their involvement in the drug trade. One of them lived a couple of blocks from me and he was gunned down in the morning when he went to get into his car in the driveway of his homd. The other has a building at the local branch of the University of Texas named for him. Some guys duct taped him in a lawn chair with some concreat blocks in his lap and legs and droped him in a boat slip where he drowned in just about five feet of water.

These guys have money and the prospect of 1,000% interest in the drug trade is more than some of them can resist. I hope I am wrong, but three car of guys killing him and then shooting it out with the cops, sounds like a bunch of drug cowboys to me.

Maybe I am gettng cynical in my old age, or maybe I have just seen too much to go for the easy answer. Again, I hope I am wrong about this one, for the sakes of those who loved the guy.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

This stinks. :( Prayers up and a wish the ba$tard$ get caught real soon - and hopefully die in a shootout resisting arrest (as long as no LEO's are hurt)...
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

Our German shepherd sleeps down the hall and he simply adores my wife. I feel relatively safe with him here, whether I'm home or not. Bad folks would alert him with the noise of breaking in and give us time to react appropriately. Two dogs would be even better.Just my 2cents.
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

The wounded man at the scene, besides the doc, was indeed a ranch hand. My wife relayed that some dogs were shot, too. I believe that the reason the thugs arrived with two F150 pickups is so they could haul off stuff; the lowered Acura was probably their more common mode of transport.

As usual, my PD provided no information whatsoever to us peons in patrol. Just as they provided nothing to us regarding the kidnapped officer in the adjacent county last week. A big, bureaucratic PD can be a curse, as it tends to not work well with neighboring agencies. Whether I stay two more years, or ten, I will be so glad to be rid of this badge.
Have Colts, will travel.

Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT - Doctor murdered at his ranch near Bellville UPDATED

Post by Rexster »

UPDATE: Well, as so often happens, the news media got it wrong for several days. This was NOT a home invasion or a hit. The doctor, along with his family and ranch hand, arrived at the ranch to interrupt a burglary in progress. His death is still just as tragic, of course, and we should keep this in mind whenever we arrive at our homes or other places; we may be cornering bad guys. Unfortunately, this scenario is all too common.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/video?id=6980543
Have Colts, will travel.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Rexster wrote:UPDATE: Well, as so often happens, the news media got it wrong for several days. This was NOT a home invasion or a hit. The doctor, along with his family and ranch hand, arrived at the ranch to interrupt a burglary in progress. His death is still just as tragic, of course, and we should keep this in mind whenever we arrive at our homes or other places; we may be cornering bad guys. Unfortunately, this scenario is all too common.
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/video?id=6980543
Thanks for the update... that scenario makes more sense. Still way too sad... any news on leads or progress?
Rexster wrote:The wounded man at the scene, besides the doc, was indeed a ranch hand. My wife relayed that some dogs were shot, too. I believe that the reason the thugs arrived with two F150 pickups is so they could haul off stuff; the lowered Acura was probably their more common mode of transport.
As usual, my PD provided no information whatsoever to us peons in patrol. Just as they provided nothing to us regarding the kidnapped officer in the adjacent county last week. A big, bureaucratic PD can be a curse, as it tends to not work well with neighboring agencies. Whether I stay two more years, or ten, I will be so glad to be rid of this badge.
I know that "big dept" feeling. Sometimes I thought it was a miracle we got stuff done... in spite of ourselves. As far as working well with others... well, that usually stems from the big egos at the top.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Griff wrote:As far as working well with others... well, that usually stems from the big egos at the top.
Sad, but true. It's a dilemma in the LE world that has to be constantly worked on to maintain good working relationships with other agencies. It's a no brainer, but it just doesn't happen on it's own.
Old Law Dawg
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Rexster - Thank you for the update. A sad situation, indeed. Hope all the LEO's in this investigation find this bunch of scum speedily, and put them away permanently.
Charles wrote: These guys (doctors) have money and the prospect of 1,000% interest in the drug trade is more than some of them can resist. I hope I am wrong, but three car of guys killing him and then shooting it out with the cops, sounds like a bunch of drug cowboys to me.

Maybe I am gettng cynical in my old age, or maybe I have just seen too much to go for the easy answer....
I wonder if Charles is aware of this latest report. I too have become somewhat cynical in my old age, but hope I would at least wait for all information to be released before casting aspersions on someone involved in a tradgedy of this nature. My condolences to the doctor's family and friends.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Well ,Charles is now aware of this update, and this set of facts fits well with what happened. The first set of facts did not.

Now as to being too quick on the trigger, on that issue we will have to think and let think. I see no need to apologize, explain or defend myself. It is what it is.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Agree. But from my perspective, we are what we have allowed ourselves to become.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Charles wrote:Well ,Charles is now aware of this update, and this set of facts fits well with what happened. The first set of facts did not.

Now as to being too quick on the trigger, on that issue we will have to think and let think. I see no need to apologize, explain or defend myself. It is what it is.
Charles, no need to defend yourself. In armed multiple-suspect home invasions, I, too, tend to instantly suspect an illicit drug connection.
Have Colts, will travel.

Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

"Agree. But from my perspective, we are what we have allowed ourselves to become."....Goatguy

That sounds good, but when put to the test it proves out to a simplistic answer to very complex issue.

What we are is a mixture of many things, some of which are beyond our control. Out DNA, our early family life, our choices and exeriences all play into who we are.

Try telling a fellow who has seen heavy combat and suffers stress from that experience that he is what he allowed himself to be. He just needs to snap out of it and have his attitude adjusted.

Try telling the depressed woman who has just lost her son and husbnd in an automobile accident, she is what she allows herself to be. She just needs to snap out of it and have her attitude adjusted.

Try telling the career law enforcement officer that he has a suspcious nature because he has allowed it to happen. He just needs to look at the bright side of things and ignore the uglyness all around.

Like most superficial platitudes it sound real cool, but falls flat when it meets the real world human situation.

Basicaly..until we have walked in another man's shoes we really are cluless as to how he became what he is. He might have come through it much better than we would have.
I yam what I yam..Popeye the Sailor.
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Arrests have been made, and a third known suspect is still on the loose. They are relatives of the ranch hand, who was shot during the incident.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?secti ... id=6988330
Have Colts, will travel.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

EXCELLENT!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

darned illegals I'll bet - I didn't read the story but look at them and look at the names - I'd bet a $100 they're illegals.

The media doesn't like to highlight it because its not PC but the darned illegals are committing a lot of felony crimes in this country.

Here is just one example of what I'm talking about: http://www.mcaodocuments.com/press/20081002_a.pdf

The Doctor lost his life because of these scumbags and American citizens all over the country are being subjected to increased levels of crimes committed by these animals.

This is just one of the many wrongs being perpetrated on us by our so-called "government". They have a responsibility to protect the citizens of this country and they have completely failed in their duty.

And why? Why for votes of course. They are afraid that they might make hispanics angry - but the fact is that hispanics that are citizens don't like these animals any more than Americans of other ethnic groups. That's been my experience.

Just how long are we going to sit by idly and allow this and all of the other crimes against our country continue?

I am thinking of starting a web site that will offer a boilerplate "how-to" for starting a local citizens group that will act out loclaly against this kind of thing - and also avail itself to be prepared for a national Constitutional emergency. Not a militia per se but a group of people that want to be active and prepared.

I am fed up with this kind of thing happening and not a peep out of the media as to the root cause. And people don't seem to know how to organize and speak out in numbers.

I think the time might be right given the tea parties, tax protests and recent town hall meeting participation.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!