.357 B&D in the Rossi 92 clone

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

.357 B&D in the Rossi 92 clone

Post by Hobie »

Over at SingleAction forum there is a discussion of an EXISTING rifle chambered in .357 B&D (a conversion). Thought some here might be interested.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .357 B&D in the Rossi 92 clone

Post by 20cows »

My ignorance is showing. What is a .357 B&D?
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

20cows wrote:My ignorance is showing. What is a .357 B&D?
.44 Mag necked down to .357 IIRC.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

awp101 wrote:
20cows wrote:My ignorance is showing. What is a .357 B&D?
.44 Mag necked down to .357 IIRC.
Sorry, that is correct.

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

Must be some'n in the water thats the second time this week I have seen 357 B&D come up, one of the auction sites has a Ruger Blackhawk with 3 cylinders one being in the B&D caliber, sure was tempted
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Thanks Hobie. 8) 8)

I think of the .357 B&D as a "357 Maximum" only short enough for a carbine style gun. Ballistics seem about the same (Hobie feel free to correct me on that), although load development for the B&D seems more centered on the 158 grain loads vs many shooters using the 180 and even 200 grain bullets in the Maximum, since it is usually in a break-open gun where OAL is sort of a non-issue if the throat is deep. The .38 B&D is sort of a modernized high-pressure manifestation of the .38-40.

To have to use a long-action 336 type gun for the .357 Max makes little sense, when you can step up to a .35 Remington in a factory offering; shorter lever throw maybe would be the only difference if you turned it into the .357 Maximum.

To have a short-action 1894 or 1892 type gun in .357 Max really stretches the limits, and although I've heard of a few custom jobs, I don't get the impression they feed well, and they ARE pricey.

Now another option is the ".38 Special Magnum" - but I've seen very little data on that round, which is essentially a shorter-trimmed .357 Max (so it would fit a deep-throated .357 Mag Contender, or MAYBE a custom levergun?).

On the other hand, you should [?] be able to just replace the barrel on a .44 Mag 1894 or 1892, and be ready to go. Being a bottleneck, it might feed even better than the regular .44 Mags.

Here's a link to some comparisons of the cartridges ('Visual' may not work unless you're an Ammoguide subscriber):

Ballistics- http://ammoguide.com/?tool=bcompare&it= ... %7c63%7c53

Visual - http://ammoguide.com/cgi-bin/aicompare. ... l=1&xxa=53
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

A 44-40 92 Rossi with a 200 gr. JHP is one bad round when handloaded properly. It is a bottle neck case, seals well in the chamber and is a stock item with out all the ho-rah. Even a 38-40 with a 180 gr. 40 cal. JHP is no slouch.

I'am sorry, I just can't get excited about the B&D.

I agree with the Doc.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

AJMD429 wrote:Thanks Hobie. 8) 8)

I think of the .357 B&D as a "357 Maximum" only short enough for a carbine style gun. Ballistics seem about the same (Hobie feel free to correct me on that), although load development for the B&D seems more centered on the 158 grain loads vs many shooters using the 180 and even 200 grain bullets in the Maximum, since it is usually in a break-open gun where OAL is sort of a non-issue if the throat is deep. The .38 B&D is sort of a modernized high-pressure manifestation of the .38-40.

To have to use a long-action 336 type gun for the .357 Max makes little sense, when you can step up to a .35 Remington in a factory offering; shorter lever throw maybe would be the only difference if you turned it into the .357 Maximum.

To have a short-action 1894 or 1892 type gun in .357 Max really stretches the limits, and although I've heard of a few custom jobs, I don't get the impression they feed well, and they ARE pricey.

Now another option is the ".38 Special Magnum" - but I've seen very little data on that round, which is essentially a shorter-trimmed .357 Max (so it would fit a deep-throated .357 Mag Contender, or MAYBE a custom levergun?).

On the other hand, you should [?] be able to just replace the barrel on a .44 Mag 1894 or 1892, and be ready to go. Being a bottleneck, it might feed even better than the regular .44 Mags.

Here's a link to some comparisons of the cartridges ('Visual' may not work unless you're an Ammoguide subscriber):

Ballistics- http://ammoguide.com/?tool=bcompare&it= ... %7c63%7c53

Visual - http://ammoguide.com/cgi-bin/aicompare. ... l=1&xxa=53
Those are pretty much my thoughts on the subject. :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I thought about getting one of Winchester 94's converted t the .357Max back some 25 years ago. But, one of the negatives I heard 'bout it was throat erosion was severe, those rumors and the cost of the conversion ended that thought.

Then I became infatuated with cowboy action and BP cartridges. I've not heard of throat erosion as an issue with the .357B&D, but... the .38WCF has more powder capacity (sorta important with BP AND uses a .40+ boolit! Makes the newcomer sorta redundant!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Griff wrote:Then I became infatuated with cowboy action and BP cartridges. I've not heard of throat erosion as an issue with the .357B&D, but... the .38WCF has more powder capacity (sorta important with BP AND uses a .40+ boolit! Makes the newcomer sorta redundant!
Sounds like most, not all, of the cartridges brought out in the last 40 years... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I wouldn't call the B&D a "newcommer"... unless you think somthing from the 70's is "new".

I think it would be a hoot to re-tool a .44 with a .357/.44 B&D...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!