OT-12 ga slug tests

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

OT-12 ga slug tests

Post by Jason_W »

Sorry if I'm getting annoying with posting my test results. I'm not trying to be self promotional, I just figure it might interest some of you.

Anyway, here are some 12 ga slug results

http://www.carbinecountry.com/Shotgun%2 ... Tests.html
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT-12 ga slug tests

Post by deerwhacker444 »

I enjoy the tests, as I'm sure many on here do. Keep em coming. Geees,....those are some big holes.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

WOW, throwing big lead down range. That's interesting. What kind/brand of test media are you using. I assume it's reusable. I'm not big on slugs but they are hard to argue with. Great job, thanks.
Ricky

DWWC
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Thanks. I'm a slug nut too. I like the Brenneke 12GA 3 inch Black Magic Magnum. It uses hard lead pushed around 1,600 fps. It makes long big holes. I expect the .35 inch version of the same slug would just be more of a good thing.

Keep your eyes peeled, I expect Buffalo Bore to release a slug that is heavier and goes faster than the Black Magic Magnum. I don't know when it will come out, but I anxiously await.

Have fun.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

RKrodle wrote:WOW, throwing big lead down range. That's interesting. What kind/brand of test media are you using. I assume it's reusable. I'm not big on slugs but they are hard to argue with. Great job, thanks.

The test media is called The Bullet test tube. It's produced by a company called Ballistic technology.

http://www.thebullettesttube.com/

It has it's good and bad qualities. The good is that it's reusable and does a pretty good job of showing a permanent cavity.

The bad is that it's messy, leaving a sticky residue on everything it contacts. Also, splitting the tubes is very difficult.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Idiot wrote:
Keep your eyes peeled, I expect Buffalo Bore to release a slug that is heavier and goes faster than the Black Magic Magnum. I don't know when it will come out, but I anxiously await.
that will be cool. Maybe it will consist of a harder alloy than most slugs seem to be made of. If those lightfields had been hardcast, I don't think they would have stopped in the test block.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Jason_W wrote:
Idiot wrote:
that will be cool. Maybe it will consist of a harder alloy than most slugs seem to be made of. If those lightfields had been hardcast, I don't think they would have stopped in the test block.
I couldn't stop the Black Magic slug with two truck doors, on steel bar, and a 3/4" piece of plywood. I think could have penetrated six inches of cottonwood stump.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Jason. Cool tests thanks! Have you ever tried the Brenneke Green Lightnings or their Red Special Forces slugs?
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

If you want something in a slug that is hard check these out.
http://www.dixieslugs.com/
Ricky

DWWC
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

madman4570 wrote:Jason. Cool tests thanks! Have you ever tried the Brenneke Green Lightnings or their Red Special Forces slugs?
Not yet, but I'll put them on the list. I'll try to pick up a box or two the next time I'm near a Cabelas.

I'm hoping I can get my home assembled sabot rounds to work. I tried the first batch today and they were all over the place. I'm having trouble crimping them evenly and I think that may be part of the problem.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

My slug of choice for the past couple of yrs.
These things are Devastating :shock:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Jason_W wrote:Sorry if I'm getting annoying with posting my test results.
Gun-related 'test' posts are always welcome - they 'balance' all my 'OT' posts...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Jason, I know you are really putting in some hard effort on these tests and I find them very interesting! Your doing one heck of a job! Thanks again! :)
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I'm curious about the pressure of the 12 Ga Lightfield Commander IDS Plus 3.5" 1-3/8 oz load. Is it not a little much for a standard shotgun (I use a Savage double).
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

20cows wrote:I'm curious about the pressure of the 12 Ga Lightfield Commander IDS Plus 3.5" 1-3/8 oz load. Is it not a little much for a standard shotgun (I use a Savage double).
the box just says for use in modern firearms in good working condition. They are intended for rifled barrels or at least rifled choke tubes. Does your savage have a 3.5" chamber?
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

madman4570 wrote:Jason, I know you are really putting in some hard effort on these tests and I find them very interesting! Your doing one heck of a job! Thanks again! :)
Thanks. glad you find it interesting.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

No, it predates the 3 1/2" shells.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

20cows wrote:No, it predates the 3 1/2" shells.
Probably wouldn't be a good choice. I don't think I'll use them again unless I get a tag for something really big.
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Howdy,
I enjoyed reading about your testing...
I recently fired a box (5) of the Lightfield 3.5 600gr 12 ga Mag in my Mossy 835 as well. I've never experienced recoil like that! One of those went thru a railroad tie and I dug it out of the bank behind it..
I have another box(5). Lifetime supply!!!!!!

Thanks for posting your tests,

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

no i like reading your test's any one who dosent like them dosent have to look at them
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

20cows wrote:I'm curious about the pressure of the 12 Ga Lightfield Commander IDS Plus 3.5" 1-3/8 oz load. Is it not a little much for a standard shotgun (I use a Savage double).
Be careful. I bulged the barrels on my once very nice little Savage 20 Ga. double puting slugs through it. The barrels on the doubles are kind of thin.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thanks for the testing, however one of my favourite slugs is a 690 ball in a plas wad . A 1 1/4oz ball is very good indeed :wink:
Roll crimping seems to get more steam up but a star is fine and certain wads seem better than others.

It is possible to get to much obturation with pure lead so an alloy may be needed or just slow it enough, it will get the job done.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Fine tests, Jason. Keep 'em coming, ... that is if your shoulder holds up. I also like to shoot slugs from time to time, but cringe when I know I be trying them out on a target board first. Same cringe when patterning a "new, improved" turkey load out of my 3 1/2" chamber turkey gun 870!!! Maybe that why I've gone back to 2 3/4" magnum shells and gotten better at calling them in closer. :roll:
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Jason_W wrote:Sorry if I'm getting annoying with posting my test results. I'm not trying to be self promotional, I just figure it might interest some of you.

Anyway, here are some 12 ga slug results

http://www.carbinecountry.com/Shotgun%2 ... Tests.html
don't be sorry about being helpful... it's germaine to me because I'm going to Alaska next week and I'll be packing 2-3/4" 12ga slugs in my jump-in-the-skiff bear gun. I figure it's about early 45/70 performance and like, what, .75 caliber?

Can't go wrong with the good old Mossy with the cyl bore 18-1/2" boat gun rig.

OK, it's because I'm flying and don't want to check luggage.

so thanks for the info..

Grizz