OT- My Rossi Finally Reborn!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GANJIRO

OT- My Rossi Finally Reborn!

Post by GANJIRO »

As many here know my favorite truck gun for a few years has been my Rossi R357S stainless steel single shot.
Thanks to Scott S. aka salvo I had the barrel shortened to 16.25" with new front sight installed in new dovetail. The old sight was a el cheapo screw-in job but too low for new rear sight. Had salvo install front sight from my 94AE which was higher to match new Williams WGRS peep sight.
While Scott had my barrel I stripped black paint off stock and stained with Watco Dark Walnut then finished with Hawaiian Kukui Nut Oil. The forestock had very nice grain which the camera can't do justice to but you get the idea.

BEFORE:
AFTER:
Forestock Grain:
New Rear Peep:
New Front from my 94AE Trapper:
How they look together:
The Finished Product:

A few notes: Williams does not make sights specifically for the Rossi single shots but the WGRS-T/C sight made for the T/C Contender fits PERFECTLY. Kukui nut (candle nut) oil is locally available and comperable to boiled linseed being used by Hawaiians to preserve wood for over 1000 years, more pricey than linseed but I had some, don't need much, and it made my "Hawaiian Trapper" that much more personalized. As far as legalities (Federal) of cutting barrel and total size of rifle, the barrel cannot be less than 16" and total length of rifle cannot be less than 26" overall. My barrel is 16.25" and total length is 32.5 so safe on both counts. (Thank you A.K. Church for your informative web article http://www.milesfortis.us/church/akc02.htm)
I'm totally ecstactic with the finished product, even nicer than I expected, can't wait to get her to the range! MAHALO A NUI LOA salvo (Scott S.)!
Last edited by GANJIRO on Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Outstanding!!

There is nothing like having one fixed up just the way that suits you. 8)
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Ji -

That is really nice! Congrats!!! Are you going to take her with you on the TX hunt?

Scott - great work - as always! :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Very nice - why did you want the barrel that short?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

That is the nicest Rossi I have ever seen. It's like a new gun.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

That came out great It was a shame they hid nice wood like that behind paint. So are you going to take it on the hog hunt if so a report is a must.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

Simply beautiful :D :D :D

I still have my shotgun with 12 & 28 gauge barrels. I used to have an ultralight
in .243 but it popped open when fired so I sent it back and they fixed it but...
I couldn't get it to shoot anything and two foot groups aren't appealing to me :shock:

I've been getting the bug to get another one and seeing what you've done I might have to go down to the local shop and pick up the .45-70 they have.

I wonder with all the Marlin hooplah that's happening if they are going solo or
are they in with the package that was bought. I really hope their barrel program
will still be in operation.
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

JReed wrote:That came out great It was a shame they hid nice wood like that behind paint. So are you going to take it on the hog hunt if so a report is a must.
Ysabel Kid wrote:Ji -

That is really nice! Congrats!!! Are you going to take her with you on the TX hunt?

Scott - great work - as always! :D
If I can work up some decent loads then I will deffinately try her out in Texas.
Old Savage wrote:Very nice - why did you want the barrel that short?
I wanted it a handier size as the 23" barrel was a tad long and unwieldy for a brush/truck gun, and research showed that as far as cartridge effiency the optimum barrel length for the .357 Magnum cartridge is 16", shorter and you have wasted powder, longer and you actually start losing velocity. I also wanted better sights, and curious about the wood grain. I'm happy with the results.

With the sling and fully loaded ammo butt cuff this rifle still weighs in at just 4-3/8 lbs. :D
old goat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by old goat »

...Ji:

...At one time I had a TC contender set up with a butt stock and a super 16 barrel. I thought it was very handy! Your Rossi makes me think of it. I believe you will like it better now. Looks great!

...old goat
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Ji,

That is Beautiful, you are making me want one myself real bad you know!
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Great result!! That's an amazing piece of wood in the forend.

I have heard of Kukui Nut Oil being used as a skin lotion but not as a timber finish.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Very nice, well done.
Keep us posted on how well it shoots. :D :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Turned out great. Hope she puts'em all in a nice little hole.
Old Law Dawg
Billy Boy
Levergunner 1.0

Very nicely done!

Post by Billy Boy »

Ganjiro!
Outstanding ctaftsmanship sir! I found your handiwork quite inspirational as I am about to start stripping the factory (albeit 35 years old) finish off of a Remington 1100 20 gauge I'm setting up for the Mrs. to be her dedicated Skeet gun.
One question though! What are ya gonna do with the grips on the S&W? Rosewood perhaps? I only ask as the factory Hogue grips somewhat detract from the "matched pair" motif.
Alas! Would that the "Truck Gun" concept were even remotely conceivable here in the mountains of northern Jersey! More's the pity; it does not appear to be so any time soon!
May the space gods smile on you!

:wink:
You can get alot further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone!
Al Capone
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

GANJIRO, Nice job! Who would have believed that beautiful stock was hiding underneath all that paint? I think you've got the perfect little truck gun there.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

What a transformation! Looks great.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Nice!!!!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Your welcome Ji, I'm just glad I could pitch in, somehow for your TX Hunt.
It sure has become a great looking little carbine. Be sure to let us know how she shoots now.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

TedH wrote:What a transformation! Looks great.
And so satisfying when you've done it yourself!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

That looks fantastic! Can't even tell it's the same gun :lol:
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Ji/Salvo-
Great job all around, that is a beauty. Jim
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Bruce Scott wrote:Great result!! That's an amazing piece of wood in the forend.

I have heard of Kukui Nut Oil being used as a skin lotion but not as a timber finish.
Here's interesting reading on the uses of kukui in Hawaii:

http://www.canoeplants.com/kukui.html
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ji, thanks for that info. I have recently bought .357s with 18 1/2 and 20 inch barrels. Looking forward to testing them.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

:D 8) :D
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Boy is that an improvement. :D .Great Job. I just got a used EMF .357 model 92 with the dark stain and You sure have me thinkin now.Jim.
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

That is sharp!!! Congrats!
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Very Cool!

Really gotta have one now!

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
GANJIRO

Re: Very nicely done!

Post by GANJIRO »

Billy Boy wrote:Ganjiro!

One question though! What are ya gonna do with the grips on the S&W? Rosewood perhaps? I only ask as the factory Hogue grips somewhat detract from the "matched pair" motif.
Alas! Would that the "Truck Gun" concept were even remotely conceivable here in the mountains of northern Jersey! More's the pity; it does not appear to be so any time soon!
May the space gods smile on you!

:wink:
That pistola was also a Rossi a model 971 but I sold it to a friend on MAUI during recent times of financial difficulty, but I still have my Ruger Blackhawk so all is not lost. One day it will wear faux or staghorn ivory grips.

I'm sure the gun laws in Joisey are as bad as the ones here in Honolulu, the Rossi technically stopped being a truck gun since moving from Maui to here back in September, but it is ready for the next ferry run back to MAUI for deer, pig, and goats! :D
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Ji,

The picture of the forend did turn out pretty good. someone must have a made a mistake to put a piece of wood with that much figure under a coat of paint.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Rusty wrote:Ji,

The picture of the forend did turn out pretty good. someone must have a made a mistake to put a piece of wood with that much figure under a coat of paint.
Rossi has never really valued their wood. There is a lot of nice Brazillian Hardwood hidden under the "finish" of Rossi firearms...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Ji, it is truly a thing of beauty! If it shoots HALF as good as it looks,.......well, you know the rest. Good hunting! jd45
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Very nicely done!

Post by Poohgyrr »

GANJIRO wrote: , the Rossi technically stopped being a truck gun since moving from Maui to here back in September, but it is ready for the next ferry run back to MAUI for deer, pig, and goats! :D

Growing up long ago, on the family ranch, there always was an old M94 30-30 in the truck. Here in town, we can't do that. :cry:

And your stock looks really nice, congrats.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Previously I had always thought the Rossi single shot rifle was butt ugly. Its nice to see a great transformation. Great Job, now I am thinking about one for myself!
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

Good job!

Why they paint those rifles, I'll never know...
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Those are some of the ugliest guns out there, but you sure made yours look good! I might have to get the boy one of those.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

WOW! That is seriously COOL! 8) 8) 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
nralover
Levergunner 2.0

Post by nralover »

Man, I dig that wood!
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

This JUST hit me, the perfect name for my reborn Rossi not very original but fits the bill perfectly IMVHO, I have dubbed her (drum roll please)....

"SHORTY"!

Like the charactor from the movie "Monty Walsh"
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Ji, the postman left a box for me at the mailbox today. Thank you for the Hawaiian coffees and treats, it made my day :D

Shorty it is!
Do you have a sight blank filler for the rear dove tail? If not let me know.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Aloha Scott, Is the filler silver in color (aluminum, stainless steel, etc.) or blue? How much the cost? If blued steel I shall graciously abstain as i'm trying to keep "SHORTY" as low maintenance as possible with all the salt air here constantly working against me. Thanks again for everything!
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

It's just a blue steel filler. You might try using a pure lead bullet formed into the dove tail?
ScottS

-- Ronald Reagan
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

When I saw for the first time the Rossi 28g I had ordered, I said "that has got to be the ugliest gun I ever had" Eventually I passed it on to my lady friend, her first ever firearm, now I'm trying to get it back and she won't let it go! I sure do miss that Rossi! :cry:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.