OT: Old Family photos

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Old Family photos

Post by C. Cash »

bogus bill wrote:Thats right! 1941. (end of april). I belive at the time my mother made a mistake. My mom brought me up in the country general store pretty much by herself. Somehow she started me in 1st grade at 4 years and 4 months old. She done that so the school would baby sit me. I was slow all through school because my classmates were always 2 years older than me. But I did graduate in 58. Durring the war a aunt took in my sister so mom could run the store.
Ha! Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and then! :mrgreen: That must have been a tough one in school, but glad you adapted and overcame. I never met anyone born before the early 1960's who considered themselves a "victim." Sure wish we were more that way now....
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Joe Miller...where did your Grandparents migrate from...or were they long time Illinois folks?

My family is only 100years removed from Germany on one side... and not much longer from Ireland on the other.

The upper Midwest is full of long timers with a ton of local history... and a suprising amount of recent immigrants.

I dig family history.
J
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Thanks for thee kind words, guys. This isn't quite as old and the rifle isn't a lever gun but, it was 1934 and the rifle is a 22 single shot I got for my sixth birthday in 1932 and my "trophies" show it worked -

Taken with 22 shorts - depression days and shorts went for two bits a box of fifty and LR were four bits -

:mrgreen:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hillbilly wrote:Joe Miller...where did your Grandparents migrate from...or were they long time Illinois folks?

My family is only 100years removed from Germany on one side... and not much longer from Ireland on the other.

The upper Midwest is full of long timers with a ton of local history... and a suprising amount of recent immigrants.

I dig family history.
J
Hillbilly,

My grandfather's family immigrated from Lithuania in the late 1800s. Grandmom's family was Dutch/Irish as far as I know.
.................................................................................................

Here's another pic of my Grandfather later in life. After he left the coal mines he started his own construction company and built houses.
JJYoudisky_web.JPG
(I'd love to have that old Chevy pu.)

One of the first houses he built was in Taylorville. It's the house my mom grew up in. That house still stands. When I came here in 98 for the reunion my mom asked if I'd check on it and bring her some pics back. I don't have any pics of it on the computer.

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Rod WMG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rod WMG »

Wonderful pix and memories for and from all. I forget how tough it was for everyone to stay clean back then! :lol:
A man's heart devises [or schemes] his way, but the LORD directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

OJ wrote: This isn't quite as old and the rifle isn't a lever gun but, it was 1934 and the rifle is a 22 single shot I got for my sixth birthday in 1932
OJ, is that a Winchester Model 68 by any chance?
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

OK, this one is from July 1957. I just turned 3 and I was spilling my ice cream next to my grandfathers 1952 Buick.-----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Rod WMG wrote:Wonderful pix and memories for and from all. I forget how tough it was for everyone to stay clean back then! :lol:
Actually, it was alot easier, since there were no colors... :roll:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

I really have enjoyed looking at these photos and thought you would enjoy this one too.

This is the only picture of my great grandfather. It was taken somewhere in east Texas after he and his outfit cut a Union telegraph line in Kansas during the civil war. They rode hard for several days to elude the Union soldiers that were on their trail. They wheeled into this small town and a guy was taking pictures. He apparently took his hat off, brushed his hair back, pulled his revolver and posed for the picture. It was scanned from a daguerreotype that a cousin has.

20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Now, THAT'S COOL!
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

KirkD wrote:
OJ wrote: This isn't quite as old and the rifle isn't a lever gun but, it was 1934 and the rifle is a 22 single shot I got for my sixth birthday in 1932
OJ, is that a Winchester Model 68 by any chance?
Yep - good eye, Kirk. :!:

It was depression days and we were too far out in the country to have public utilities - septic tank, windmill water, and 32 volt electricity - mostly from a "wind charger" but with a gasoline engine backup - that's the building on the right side of the picture - but, I had good hunting and even fly fishing -

The pro (Dad) is obvious - but, without such as TV or even reliable radio - our winter evenings were spent tying flies for the next summer.

:mrgreen:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER