Question about Accurate Arms Powder

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Question about Accurate Arms Powder

Post by Kansas Ed »

Just curiosity on my part, but the only AA powder I currently use is AA#9. That stuff is fine as dustbowl dirt, but it meters flawlessly. Just curious, is AA#5 and AA#7 similarly granulated, or is it larger?

Ed
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Question about Accurate Arms Powder

Post by J Miller »

Kansas Ed wrote:Just curiosity on my part, but the only AA powder I currently use is AA#9. That stuff is fine as dustbowl dirt, but it meters flawlessly. Just curious, is AA#5 and AA#7 similarly granulated, or is it larger?

Ed
Ed,
AA#5 is finer than flea dirt. I just did a thread on my powder measure a week or so ago, about how to stop it from leaking. I haven't used AA#7, but I suspect it is very similar.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

I used #5 for many years as my CAS load. It is very fine and that's why I liked it - it metered very consistently. Another thing I like about #5 - I used 6.0 gr in 44 mag without filler, which is about 25% capacity (guessing), and I never had an ignition problem over thousands of rounds and 5 years of steady CAS competition.

Good stuff.
Chad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I load lots of small batches, and am gravitating towards the 'dipper' approach - far faster to 'set up' (you just dip your largest dipper onto your scale, then you know how many "cc's" you'll need of THAT powder for your desired charge; pick that size dipper, dip onto your scale to double check, and you're ready to 'dip' a couple hundred charges).

One nice thing about that is even fine powders 'meter' just as well, there's no clean-up, no residue left in the measure, no leakage, and easier to do the visual check (assuming you use a loading block) against double charges.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Thanks,
I may end up with a pound of both just to play with. I sure like the #9, and it would be great to have some faster powders from that bunch.

Ed
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

I use AA5 because it gives me the versatility I need. I load 9MM, .38SPL, .357MAG, .40S&W, .44SPL, .44MAG, .45ACP & .45 auto rim.

I can load all these calibers with results that meet my needs and like has already been said, it meters accurately.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

AA9 is a good powder and I have used it in the 357 and 44 mag rounds. There is one word of caution. It has a funky pressure curve. It goes along fine as you please but as you near the top end, the curve heads for the sky. Small amounts can add much more pressure than the same amount back down the line.

AA5 is a fine powder, a little slower than Unique, but can be used anywhere Unique would be a good choice. I have used it in 38 Spl. 45 ACP and 9mm loads with complete satisfaction.

All of the above being said, I see no reason to prefer AA9 over 2400, or AA5 over Unique. I don't use progressive loaders, so both 2400 and Unique meter just fine for me.
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

AA#5 is THE powder for the 45ACP, IMHO.
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

For magnum loads (.357, .41 and .44 mag), I much prefer AA #7 over #9, 2400, or Blue Dot.
Loaded to similar velocities, I get noticeably reduced perceived recoil, and good accuracy.
Blackhawks are not easy on the hands as it is.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

AA 5 was recomended to me for 32 sw and 32hr and I'm sticking with it . Meters great for small cartridges and performs well.
cpt Dan Blodgett
Levergunner

Post by cpt Dan Blodgett »

Have used quite a bit of AA2 and AA5 with loads as small as 3 grains for 32 ACP small ball spherical powders meter really well. Back when I started using the stuff it was really cheap compared to IMR or other brands.
SASS #75655
"Follow Me"