Load for a 44Special

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ole pizen slinger
Levergunner 2.0

Load for a 44Special

Post by ole pizen slinger »

I know you fellows have discussed this at times but a search does not give me the answers I seek. I purchased a S&W 696 about a week ago and have the components for some reloads. I will be using Speer's 200 gn Gold Dot bullet. However, I only have Unique, H-110, and 2400 powders available. All my loading manuals seem to apply 2400 and H-110 to the heavier bullets. None of my manuals list loads for a 200 gn JHP bullet using Unique. Using what is available to me, anyone have a 44 Special load that will safely deliver 900-1000 fps with this bullet?
Thanks,
ole pizen slinger
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Re: Load for a 44Special

Post by Leverluver »

Brian Pearse's article in a 2005 handloader about the 44 special lists a 200 GD with 8.5 grs of Unique as developing 1071fps from a 4.25" Freedom Arms. This load is listed as SAAMI spec (15,500 psi or less). The FA revolver is very tightly fitted so it develops probably better velocity that most others of that barrel length but, even so, 8 to 8.5 should get what you want at very modest pressures.
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

I personally would not choose that gun to experiment with. Of all the guns that can shoot .44 Special that one (and it's slightly smaller Rossi and Taurus copies) are probably the weakest. I love your choice of bullet and handloading for defense is fine with me when I'm confident I have a good load-- although the sealing and all that factory loads get are probably never going to be replaced in MY carry guns-- but unless you have a stronger gun to play with to work out the gross details, I wouldn't do it with that gun myself.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

In that same article I referred to, Pearse put the 696 in the third (highest) pressure category. Like Idahoser, I am also sceptical of that rating but I would certainly take (strenth-wise) a 696 over a Charter Bulldog any day. If you have the three inch, anything much above the 15,500 category will be pretty snappy in recoil but Unique with the 200 GD will get where you want to go and still stay at those pressure levels.
Hank Dodge
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hank Dodge »

I've got a 696....great little revolver. Mine mostly sees Keith 250 grain slugs loaded over 7.5 grains of Unique. This is a comfortable round that works well in all my .44 special revolvers. I've not tried handloading the lighter bullets. The Winchester Silvertip and Speer Gold Dot factory 200 grain loads shoot just fine in it.
"Shoot them big guns......you can see the holes better!"
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Idahoser wrote:I personally would not choose that gun to experiment with. Of all the guns that can shoot .44 Special that one (and it's slightly smaller Rossi and Taurus copies) are probably the weakest. I love your choice of bullet and handloading for defense is fine with me when I'm confident I have a good load-- although the sealing and all that factory loads get are probably never going to be replaced in MY carry guns-- but unless you have a stronger gun to play with to work out the gross details, I wouldn't do it with that gun myself.
Totally disagree with this. The 696 is one of the strongest 44 Specials available. It is on-par with the Ruger flat-top.

Notice where the cylinder notches are located - directly between the cylinder chambers - not over them like the Charter Arms, Taurus, Rossi, etc..

Keep in mind that this same frame is used for the much higher pressure level .357 Magnum, so the frame and other components are fully up to the task.

As to the 200 grain JHP load - looks to me like several powders would do what you want with ease - 9.0 grains of Universal Clays is a good one that will give around 1050 fps with that revovler.

I'm like Leverluver and like the Skeeter load 7.5 Grains of Unique under a 250 (260 from my RCBS mold) Keith bullet. Though, I'm thinking I'm going to get me some Alliant Power Pistol - it looks to be "the" powder for this bullet - even better than Unique which is hard to beat. The loads shown in the above pic are 240 grain Lee swc bullets loaded to around 800 fps for plinking.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

ole pizen slinger wrote:I know you fellows have discussed this at times but a search does not give me the answers I seek. I purchased a S&W 696 about a week ago and have the components for some reloads. I will be using Speer's 200 gn Gold Dot bullet. However, I only have Unique, H-110, and 2400 powders available. All my loading manuals seem to apply 2400 and H-110 to the heavier bullets. None of my manuals list loads for a 200 gn JHP bullet using Unique. Using what is available to me, anyone have a 44 Special load that will safely deliver 900-1000 fps with this bullet?
Thanks,
ole pizen slinger

I'm a 7.5 grs unique with 240 shooter myself, but I do buy an occasional reload manual.

I would suggest a maximum of 8.5 grs of unique , 17grs of 2400, and leave the h110 for the heavier bullets (15 grs with a 240)
Might just for kicks cruise over to Alliants reload guide and see if they have any recommendations for the unique and 2400 that might interest you.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Lyman 46th lists the .44 Special, 200gr JHP:

2400 Min. 12.0 gr = 599 fps (this is marked as ballistically consistent, potentially accurate)
2400 Max. 13.5 gr = 838 fps

IMR 4227 Min. 14.3 gr = 657 fps
IMR 4227 Max. 15.8 gr = 882 fps

Ed
Rod WMG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rod WMG »

Yep, the 7.5 gr. Unique/ 240 bullet works so well in my 3 1/2" Freedom Arms it's hard to change, though I am tempted to try Power Pistol for the Charter Arms.
A man's heart devises [or schemes] his way, but the LORD directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Sorry - I didn't pay attention to "only have available" comment. Unique is a great 44 Special propellant.

So, go with 8.5 grains of Unique with your 200 grian gold dots - low pressure (15000 psi or less) and will give 1000-1020 fps from your 696 - right were you want to be. Standard LP primers.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Hank Dodge
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hank Dodge »

Hay there O.S.O.K.
I don't mean to drift this thread, but I gotta' ask what grips you've got on that 696 in your photo. I've got the Packmar ones that came on the gun, but would love a quality wood grip to replace them with. I like the look of the ones on your revolver. Where might I find a set like that?

Thanks for any input.

Hank
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Hank Dodge wrote:Hay there O.S.O.K.
I don't mean to drift this thread, but I gotta' ask what grips you've got on that 696 in your photo. I've got the Packmar ones that came on the gun, but would love a quality wood grip to replace them with. I like the look of the ones on your revolver. Where might I find a set like that?

Thanks for any input.

Hank
Those are Eagle Classic round to square-butt grips. They are walnut but I don't see the walnut available - but the do have rosewood shown: http://www.eaglegrips.com/guns/N-Frame- ... C009R.html

I really like the way they feel and they handle the stouter loads much much better than any grips that follow the contour of the backstrap.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Close to as noted by Kansas, my most accurate load with my Model 24 6 1/2" is 12.5 gr of 2400 and a 240.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

speer reloading manual says the 200 gr GDHP with 7,8 grain of unigue yields 855 fps

my reloading manual says the 250gr Keith bullet should have a max charge of 6.9 grains for 921 fps.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
ole pizen slinger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ole pizen slinger »

Thanks to everyone who replied. I guess I'll go with about 8 gr of Unique. Another question. Do any of you have trouble metering Unique through your powder measures? It being a flat flake powder, sometimes I get erratic throws from my measure.
OPS
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Yes there are days when unique just flows so nice thru a measure, turn around the next day and you can tear your hair out trying to get even loads......
Dippers are a good thing when throwing unique.
Hank Dodge
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hank Dodge »

I've got a Dillon 550 that I've been loading on for over ten years now. It is VERY consistent with all powders I run. Unique is the powder that I use the most. Never had an issue with it.

I can't tell you how many rounds of 7.5 grains Unique that I've thrown on that press, but it's many thousands. I've got a tool head set up for that round. When I swap it on the press, I check the powder charge on the scale a couple times and I'm good to go for however many rounds I decide to run through.