Matton Gun Auction Report

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Matton Gun Auction Report

Post by getitdone1 »

Went to Mattoon, Illinois today. Had 5 guns selling there. Lasted so long I came home before 3 had sold. I was there from about 8:30 till 5:30 p.m. Snow and blowing, perhaps close to the worst day of the year. Lots of people and guns. Maybe most I've seen there.

Had the pleasure of meeting Levergun member Malamute and we looked at and talked guns for quite a while. He was in Illinois visiting his parents over the holidays. Saw his two Malamute dogs and they are dandys. We both have a lot of respect for the Browning 1886 SRC and he may get a chance to try his on a grizzly near his home in Wyoming. Malamute, would that be good or bad?

Highlight of the auction was a Henry rifle with original cleaning rod that went for $28,500.00. Set a single gun price record for the 10 year history of this auction company.

Must have been 7-800 guns there. The ones I expecially liked were a really clean Winchester pre-64 model 70, 30-06 and a Winchester model 55, 30-30. I didn't bid on any thing. Gotta keep your eye peeled for non-original add-on parts, rebluing, wood cracks and refinishing. Decent bore kinda helps too.

I received 1400 for my Browning 1886 SRC High-Grade and 360 for my S&W model 39 handgun. About what I was hoping for. Will get a check for all and an itemized list in about a week or less. Auctioneer will get from 5-10% commission depending on the gun price.

I expect to receive about 200 dollars plus or minus of what I have in all 5 guns. That's fine with me.

Don McCullough
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

".....and he may get a chance to try his on a grizzly near his home in Wyoming. Malamute, would that be good or bad? "

I hope I never have to deal with a grizz, but the bears are getting thicker and bolder over time. I haven't had any trouble,...so far. Guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Hopefully, if it ever does happen, it would be after de-listing. Gets pretty complicated now, even when it's obvious that the bear was being very aggresive.