OT - Question for any Frank Hamer experts...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

OT - Question for any Frank Hamer experts...

Post by RSY »

I noticed he's buried here in Austin at a nice old cemetery, but it's not the State cemetery. Why is he not there??? A lot of "greats" are buried there. It only seems appropriate for him, as well. Anyone with any insight on that one?

Thanks,
Scott
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Question for any Frank Hamer experts...

Post by Charles »

In order to be buried in the Texas State Cemetary, you must have been:

A member of the state Legislature
An elected state official
A state official appointed by the Governor and served 12 years.
Be buried there by slection of a committee based on outstanding contributions to the state
Be buried there by a resolution of the state legislature

Now why wasn't Frank Hamer buried there? Well he didn't qualify under 1-3 above and if he didn't get in through 4 and 5, I expect it was because he or his family didn't make the request. He was as qualified as many others there, some of them old time Rangers of note.

He probably just didn't want to be buried with a bunch of dead politicians. Lots of folks want to be buried there to prove to the world they are "SOMEBODY". Frank probably didn't have that need. Also he might have wanted to be buried with family. Who know, but I would be a pretty penny, what ever the reason it was by choice.

It is a pretty place and I have several family members buried there. But I would not want to be buried there because Gov. E.J. Davis (The Skalawag) is there and his momument is the highest and most ornate in the place. Pretty good for a fellow who literaly had to be draged from the Governor's office to get rid of him. For generations, Texans would spit on the ground at the mention of his name.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Thanks for the info, Charles. I'm almost sure you're right about him wanting to be among his family. Looking at the directory for Austin Memorial it looks like he's there with his wife and a son. By the son's date of death and info, it looks like he was a U.S. Marine KIA in 1945. Is that correct?

I've been re-reading the section on Hamer in WPW's book. There were a lot of things wrong with the world back then, but one thing that wasn't wrong was that someone like him could exist and operate in the name of law and order. It's our loss that that is not the case today.

All the best,
Scott
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I don't know anything about his son. If you are buried in the State Cemetary, your spouse can be buried next to you, but not the children.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Glad to have your bright, smiling face back around here RSY... :mrgreen:
RSY wrote:I've been re-reading the section on Hamer in WPW's book.
WPW?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Seems I read somewhere that Franks son flew for the texas conservation dept many years ago.
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

WPW probley is walter prescott webb who wrote the book "texas rangers".
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Frank Hamer didn't care much for politicians. While in the service of the Texas Rangers he was made Senior Captain. He would meet with the Governor, Attorney General, and others monthly at the State Capitol. The attorney General earlier in his law carrier had prosecuted one of Hamer's friends, an ex-ranger. The ranger was a Sheriff at the time and had been in a shoot out with another man. He was convicted and sent to jail for a short time. Hamer never forgot it, he considered it self defense and the guy needed killing. At the monthly meetings Frank would not speak directly to the Attorney General but would say " tell that S.O.B. blah, blah, blah. The Attorney General knew better than to confront Hamer on it. That's for sure. This story came to me in a conversation with "Lone Wolf" Gonzaullas before he died. He was Frank's sargent during those days.
"That'll Be The Day"
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Charles, I meant that they are all three buried at Austin Memorial on Hancock Dr at Bull Creek Rd (adjacent to MoPac). Sorry for the confusion. If his son was already buried there, I'm sure Frank would have wanted to reside next to him 10 years later.

APW, thank you, sir. Things are still a bit rough financially, but I just couldn't stay away from this place altogether.

WPW is Walter Prescott Webb, whose book "The Texas Rangers" (1935) is a must-have. Put it on your short list ASAP. Hamer was quite the celebrity when Webb was wrapping up the book because he had just relieved the public of Bonnie and Clyde. He has a little dedicated section at the end of the book.

Scott
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

One of my most prized possessions is an autographed first edition of Webb's book. In gathering material for his book,he interviewed old time rangers and children of really old time Rangers. He interviewed my Grandfather who's Father served with Ford, Burleson and Pitts ranging against the Comanche 1856 to 1861. When the book was published he sent a copy to my Granfather as a thank you. I suppose he sent out many of these books to those who help furnish material. I cherish it highly. My Grandfather was County Judge of Coleman County, Texas at the time.
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

There are a few recorded interviews with Frank's family memebers over on the Texas Rangers site, that are a great read
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

All I know about Frank Hamer is what I have read. Everything I have ever seen indicates that he was a good man. Throughout their history, the Rangers have had a bunch of men who were like that. Even today, they are highly regarded.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
SFRanger7GP

Post by SFRanger7GP »

I'm a big Frank Hamer fan. For awhile I even carried a .25 Remington Model 8 as my truck gun when I was running around South America. I bought a 1st edition "I'm Frank Hamer" a few years ago at a hole in the wall book store in San Antonio. In the same pile of books was a signed, 1st edition WPW. I couldn't get my wallet out quick enough. I bought them both for $85.00.

Larry
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

I had a interesting read about his guns when he changed over from 38 auto to 38 super and from 30 rem to 35 rem, does his family still have his firearms? danny
SFRanger7GP

Post by SFRanger7GP »

Here's my salute to Frank Hamer (I apologize for my poor photography skills).

rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

He was a tough no nonsense Texas Ranger. One of the best we ever had. He didn't always go by the book but got the job done. He could shoot and fight about as good as anyone on the force. "Lone Wolf" said "nobody messed with Captian Frank Hamer". Nuff said!
"That'll Be The Day"
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

All this has given me a strong hankerin' for a Model 8. The search begins... :?

I submitted a request to the Austin History Center for the address of his home(s). When I get that info, I was planning on going and snapping some pics of the house(s) and getting one of his headstone, too. I'll post 'em up here if anyone's interested.

Scott
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I had a model 8 for the same reason. It was Frank Hamer's favorite rifle. He talked most of the members in his ranger company into buying one too. He liked the fire power for the shootouts with the bootleggers crossing the border. I have told the story before about ordering a lot of Remington 30 ammo from the adjutant general's office in Austin and him asking for proof from Frank that he was using that much ammo. The proof came in severed heads of the bootleggers in a toe sack slammed on his desk in Austin. Frank had no more problems getting all the ammo he needed. The model 8 is a great rifle but the action of the barrel recoiling back into the receiver was a little noisy for me and I traded it off. Kinda wish I had it back now. :wink:
"That'll Be The Day"
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Would love to know where his Bonnie and Clyde Mod. 8 Remington .35 is(with modified 20 shot mag). As I understand it that weapon was with his son in the 70's or thereabouts? Too bad that the vast majority of kids no longer look up to folks like Frank Hamer and the Texas Rangers...don't even know who they are. More fashionable and acceptable to want to be a thug in this day and age! :shock: Good to see your posts Scott.

PS: very nice tribute SFRanger!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Glad to be here, Mr. Cash. Glad to be here. Thanks.

Scott
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

There she is, I think the where-about is known with the Model 8 crowd, I've read something not that long ago....

There she is anyhow...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

I'm pretty sure that is the rifle used by Oakley, one of the other men in the party, not Hamer.

Scott
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Here are some interesting links:

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/history/hamer_guns.htm

On this one you will see the custom model 8 that frank used. It is held by his son.

http://texashideout.tripod.com/guns.html
"That'll Be The Day"
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

The Texas Ranger Museum in Waco has a custom large clip model 8, but the head of the museum says it was not Hamer's. It is lying next to the display of the Ranger horse trailer. I didn't know there was that many made.
"That'll Be The Day"
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

rangerider7 wrote:The Texas Ranger Museum in Waco has a custom large clip model 8, but the head of the museum says it was not Hamer's. It is lying next to the display of the Ranger horse trailer. I didn't know there was that many made.
I thought it was just a magazine available from a police supply company that would fit any Model 8. Es verdad?

Scott
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

The remington model 8's magazine was fed through the top I believe. Hamer had a gunsmith make him a special clip magazine so he could feed it through the bottom. It was a custom Remington Model 8 that he used to kill Bonnie and Clyde. That is the way I understood it. Later on the next model, the 81, had a pistol grip and you could order a Special Police model with a large clip. I think.
"That'll Be The Day"
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

The 81 with the extended maginzine was put together primarly for the Corrections people for "wall" duty
The only model-8 I ever had a chance to play with was I swear chambered in a 25 Remington, Pop's said it ws some where close to the 25-35 winchester, but not sure

Wasn't Hamer's supposed to be in 30 remington???
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

When Frank was hired by the Texas Prison System he decided to get a special 35 Remington custom model 8. Also a Colt 38 super auto. He wanted to make sure he could shoot through the bodies of the Fords V8s. They did.
"That'll Be The Day"
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Here is a picture of one similar to Hamer's 35 that was at auction.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... 747207#PIC

Some have stated that Hamer used his standard Remington 30 Caliber in the shootout, but if you count the bullet holes into the winshield where Bonnie was sitting you have to come to the conclusion that Hamer's son was correct in that he used the Modified 35 Rem. with 20 shot magazine...way more than the standard Mod. 8 holds.

My Grandmother stated that she went to grade school for a short time with Clyde Barrow and that he was quite a sadistic young man. She lived in the same approximate place where he started out, but never been able to confirm it, so it will probably always remain that....just a story.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
BRUSHY COUNTRY RICK
Levergunner

Post by BRUSHY COUNTRY RICK »

I have a question for FH experts. I am an artist and am planning a texas ranger bronze, this time done right with a '95 etc. somewhere in the foggy part of my mind I can remember a photograph of Frank Hamer kneeling with another man.......he is young and what i can remember is that he is wearing a black hat, the first i can remember of him in a black hat. it was a famous photo, i think-does anyone know where this can be found. The bronze is not of any ranger in particular.