Grizzly attacks man in Glacier Park

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Grizzly attacks man in Glacier Park

Post by BigSky56 »

Sounds like a granola. Theres been a few people killed there over the years best as I can recall there still 2 park employees missing. You put pepper on your eggs not bears. danny
http://www.dailyinterlake.com/articles/ ... 767_01.txt
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Re: Grizzly attacks man in Glacier Park

Post by Buck Elliott »

Well, Duhhhh...

Alone, unarmed, running (like PREY...) and he gets attacked...? Whod'a thunk?!?
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

I thought those things were harmless. I watch "Little Bear" with my girls everyday and those bears seem like regular folks. Who knew?

RSY
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Well I reckon God still looks after fools.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

That's got to just be the most depressing sight ... not one, but two Grizzly bears coming up behind you at a high rate of speed. You have to think your luck is running dry at that point. Yet, the guy survives. I would have to think the bears had recently eaten. Maybe the guy looked like more effort than he was worth ... being a jogger and all maybe he was one of those really thin people. I know if a bear got hold of me, he'd think he hit the jackpot.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cosmoline »

Bear let him off with a warning, they do that sometimes.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

He must not of been very tasty. Maybe with a little pepper?
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Umm.. He said that he "kicked the bear and then fell down". He's lucky that ol' griz didn't turn him into a hairy bouillabaisse just for being stupid.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Poor little bear no wonder it bit him he kicked it first!
Maybe he just wanted the guy to pet him.
Peta might file charges on the guy for abusing that little bear? :)
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

Cosmoline wrote:Bear let him off with a warning, they do that sometimes.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

250#'s. Why them is just little fellers. And he kicked one. They must not have been very hungry. Now here's a thought, what if they decied that trail has some tasty food running along it. Imagine one of those cute little fellers setting up an ambush for the next easy meal to run by.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

60 years old - jogger - bear spray. Sounds like a granola to me!
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:60 years old - jogger - bear spray. Sounds like a granola to me!

Yup! I've always thought that "jogging" was invented back in the days of yore to escape mad,hungry things with big teeth that that were trying to add the inventor to the menu.
Running as recreation just never made sense to me and 20 years in the Army didn't do a thing to change my mind on the matter either.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Seriously...has anyone ever heard of a bear being driven off by the use of pepper spray?? Seems to me it's just a good way to marinate yourself before you become the main course.... :)
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

stew71 wrote:Seriously...has anyone ever heard of a bear being driven off by the use of pepper spray?? Seems to me it's just a good way to marinate yourself before you become the main course.... :)

Gotta give the devil his do. They are probably cases where it spray worked, but it wasn't reported, as well. I think it's kinda a "you pays your money and takes your choice" thing. Heck, I figure if I'm getting ate alive, I can at least do the old western thing and save the last one for myself. :mrgreen:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Yeah, bear spray really does work... sort of ...sometimes. Watch the wind though, or you could get a bigger dose of it than bruin.

The NEXT thing to remember, if/when it does sorta'/almost work, is to VACATE THE AREA IMMEDIATELY!!! Thinkin' you're safe after the bear calls of the attack is NOT the recommended thought process. USE those few moments to LEAVE (or to quit quiverin' and haul out the ORDNANCE.)

And remember, this guy did NOT have his spray with him at the time...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

In bow & rifle season 2008 there was 5 bear attacks 3 of the people used pepper it didnt work the bear circled and came for them again they used firearms. Bears 0 people 5 there were more killed but they werent reported but the bears were found. danny
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

A couple of years ago, I was in Alaska on a caribou hunt. We stopped in the town of Tok, to pick up our tags. The nice Fish and Game lady behind the counter mentioned that there were some very large bears seen wandering through town a few days earlier and that we should be prepared if we are staying in town. It was a surreal sight to sit down at the lunch counter in the local diner and see how many large bore revolvers were strapped to hips and riding in shoulder rigs. Don't recall seeing any bear spray canisters.

Can't imagine seeing that in downtown Sacramento.

While in camp, I packed a Ruger Super Blackhawk with full power 44 Mag loads at all times. My wife's uncle carried his Desert Eagle .50 AE.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

That ol bear must have bit a lib in the butt and decide he didn't taste too good.
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Two women were badly mauled by a Grizz up here in Canada several years ago. I read a very detailed account of the entire incident with great interest. As the bear was re-modeling the one woman, the other woman emptied her entire canister of bear spray into the bear's face at point blank range (1-2 feet, up the nose, into the mouth, into the eyes). The woman reported that it had no effect whatsoever. The Grizz simply did not seem to notice. The bear then turned and ripped up the woman who had hosed him down. When they were pretty badly ripped up, the bear quit and left. They managed to make it out holding on to various pieces of meat hanging from their bodies. A big dose of reality. Unfortunately, the officials continue to mislead the nature buffs leading them to believe that the bear spray is effective. Like some have mentioned, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Not very confidence-inspiring.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

The jogger said:
One of the bears stopped close to him. He told rangers he kicked the bear and then fell down. At that point the bear bit him twice as he continued to kick.
Well, I'd say that goes along the lines of "an eye for an eye". If someone kicked me, I bite em for sure. I'd say the jogger started it. :)
ED
Yer never too old
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

I'm thinking of the skit, "Bear City", on Saturday Night Live! :lol:

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I have no personal experience with pepper spray on a bear. Personally, it isn't the deterrent I'd have with me, but I've read that once used it's best to leave the area. Other bears smell the pepper and come to investigate the smell. I don't remember all of the information, but my best recollection is someone saw bears rolling in the overspray on the ground.
Old Law Dawg
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

You know what makes bears stop attacking? DEATH!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Back when I was a kid in the 1930s - we spent the month of July in Yellowstone Park - dad was a dedicated fly fisherman. Not having TV or even reliable radio, our winter evenings were spent tying flies for the nest summer. Brown bears were common but grizzlies rarely seen.

The tongue in cheek advice then was, if you were chased by a bear, climb a tree because, if it followed you up, it wasn't a grizzly - only brown bears could climb trees - :lol:

:mrgreen:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER