OT - I have a WANT !

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

OT - I have a WANT !

Post by 6pt-sika »

When I was about 15 or 16 I recieved a new Remington 700BDL in 8mm REM MAG for christmas .

I had asked for either a 8 MAG or a 338 WIN MAG .

Gun was actually very nice and shot fairly well , but like alot of others I let it get away from me !

Now I have a desire for another 8mm REM MAG !

Just can't decide whether to get a Interarms Mark X action to rebarrel or a 700 action to rebarrel or keep my eyes open for a nice used 700BDL in 8mm REM MAG !

And no , I have NO NEED for it :wink:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Hobie

Re: OT - I have a WANT !

Post by Hobie »

Need is a moot point. Better get and enjoy while you can!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

If it were me, I'd rebarrel a 700 Remington. The 700 Remington already makes a long action suitable for the 8MM Magnum. I don't think the Mark X was ever made in a true long action. They simply took a standard action and removed steel from the magazine well right behind the recess of the lower locking lug, and as a result weakened the action. That of course is okay for the 300 and 375 H&H Magnums they were chambered in, but is not good for an 8MM Remington Magnum that operates at much higher pressures. This was ultimately the reason Weatherby abandoned the Mauser action for their earlier rifles. They were beginning to experience set back of the lower locking lug recess which caused accuracy problems and could lead to much worse.

Anyway, that's my nickles worth of advise. Oh, I think the 8MM Remington Magnum is a very fine cartridge indeed.

If you like Mausers, Empire Rifles makes a true long 98 Mauser type action.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Idiot wrote:If it were me, I'd rebarrel a 700 Remington. The 700 Remington already makes a long action suitable for the 8MM Magnum. I don't think the Mark X was ever made in a true long action. They simply took a standard action and removed steel from the magazine well right behind the recess of the lower locking lug, and as a result weakened the action. That of course is okay for the 300 and 375 H&H Magnums they were chambered in, but is not good for an 8MM Remington Magnum that operates at much higher pressures. This was ultimately the reason Weatherby abandoned the Mauser action for their earlier rifles. They were beginning to experience set back of the lower locking lug recess which caused accuracy problems and could lead to much worse.

Anyway, that's my nickles worth of advise. Oh, I think the 8MM Remington Magnum is a very fine cartridge indeed.

If you like Mausers, Empire Rifles makes a true long 98 Mauser type action.
I suspect I'll keep my eyes open for a nice original 700BDL or Classic in 8 MAG or find a nice Mark X "Whitworth" action and rebarrel it to go with the 375 and 416 I already have built on Mark X actions .
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

6pt-sika wrote:I suspect I'll keep my eyes open for a nice original 700BDL or Classic in 8 MAG or find a nice Mark X "Whitworth" action and rebarrel it to go with the 375 and 416 I already have built on Mark X actions .
I've owned the Mark X in 375 H&H magnum and way too many other Mausers over the years. I'm down to one now, an FN chambered in 30/06 Springfield. If I ever build one it will likely be on an Empire Action chambered in 300 H&H Magnum. Have fun - it sounds like a good project.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

If it was me, I would keep an eye out for one just like your old Christmas gift when you were a kid.Those older 700 BDLs are fine guns!!!!!!!!
Get the original one! and have some fun/excitement looking for her :mrgreen:
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Yes most definitely keep looking for one of those original 700's. I'm sure you'll find one soon enough. As for "need"?? I don't know that word insofar as firearms are concerned. It's "want"!!

As for "want", I'm still keeping an eye out for a pre-64 Winchester model 70 chambered in 300 H&H. Even better would be a nice Ruger #1 re-chambered to 300 H&H or 6.5x55 Swede.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

madman4570 wrote:If it was me, I would keep an eye out for one just like your old Christmas gift when you were a kid.Those older 700 BDLs are fine guns!!!!!!!!
Get the original one! and have some fun/excitement looking for her :mrgreen:
Absolutely! Good Luck, 1886.
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Dave B wrote:Here is one. 22 hours left.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =131215166

Dave B

That one would be fine but the bluing leaves alot to be desired !