Which tap for scope?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
xxclaro
Levergunner 1.0

Which tap for scope?

Post by xxclaro »

I have finally stripped the front hole on the front scope base hole of my .307 M94BB. The hole is shallow,even though it goes straight down to the threads of the barrel.This causes the scope base screws to be too long, and I stripped the threads before grinding the screw short enough to fit. I would like to re-tap,but I'm not sure which size to use.I know I'll need a bottoming tap,but should I go up a size or stick with the original size. Not sure how strong it will be if I stay with the original size,as the threads look pretty bad.Suggestions?
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

I would suggest you try the original size first, most likely 6-48, can be had fron Brownells, but if you order, go ahead and get the drill and tap for 8-40, which is what Marlin uses.

If that don't work I'd sell the rifle, and since it needs work I'd goa against me better judgement and give you $100 for it. :D
xxclaro
Levergunner 1.0

Post by xxclaro »

Aren't you a pal :lol: Thanks for the advice anyway,I'll see about getting those taps. I really,really hope I can fix it, I'd hate to have to sell it but I new I could count on a fellow levergunner to take it off my hands!
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Hey I'm here to help. :D Besides it would look nice next to my 375 BB.
rusty shackelford
Levergunner

Post by rusty shackelford »

before going up one whole tap size, as they said try brownells they sell a o/s tap in the same size with screws and it is a couple of thousands larger
the bare eye can barely see the difference.

or just move up to the larger size.

rusty
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

What Rusty said!!! It works. :wink: