On An Alloy Horse I Ride

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

On An Alloy Horse I Ride

Post by Cosmoline »

I know, it doesn't have the same ring to it :lol: I took the Kona out in the AM to the trailhead, ran around the Chugach and came back into town via the rifle range and the costco. Thirty five miles by bike, another five on the trails. Nice bit of cross-training since you have to go from high heart rate to shooting and back.

Found a really nice .450 Marlin load with the Cast Performance 420 Grain hardcasts using fifty grains of RL-7. Cloverleaf group at fifty yards.

Jerks in cars were still cutting me off even with a rifle sticking out of my backpack! I'm going to start towing a howitzer to get respect on the road.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: On An Alloy Horse I Ride

Post by Tycer »

You bikers are nuts.

Nancy and I gave my stepson his first bike since he was a kid the Chrismas-before-last, and today while he was visiting from Charleston he rode it from Asheville to the summit of Mt. Mitchell. 40 miles and 4000 feet up.

My hat's off to y'all.

I'm so outta shape.

Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I used to enjoy my daily six mile commute until a migrant worker lost a sheet of plywood which knocked me tail over teakettle. It made me pretty gun shy after that. I'm thinking of getting another one. this time it will be all American made.

http://www.worksman.com/
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I have a Moots YTB I use to commute part of the way to work during the summer when I don't ride my motor cycle. I ride my truck down to within 10 miles from work and then park, and use the Moots to ride the rest of the way. Excellent way to stay in shape. Well done, I love how you carry the rifle.
Last edited by rjohns94 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The drivers who run anybody on a bike with that on them off the road are truly crazy.
+1 on how you carry the rifle.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I love it....and love the Big Bore Winny especially. :mrgreen: The Swiss ain't got nothin on you Cosmoline....nothin atall. Is that Cable's 450 Marlin?
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cosmoline »

Rusty wrote: this time it will be all American made.

http://www.worksman.com/
Those are great utility bikes, though I would not want to do much hill climbing with them.
Is that Cable's 450 Marlin?
Sure is! It's about the handiest trail gun I've ever had. I put a new front sight on it and was just lining everything up today. I'm glad I was able to snag it from the good doctor.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Cosmoline wrote:
Is that Cable's 450 Marlin?
Sure is! It's about the handiest trail gun I've ever had. I put a new front sight on it and was just lining everything up today. I'm glad I was able to snag it from the good doctor.
A very unique and accurate rifle you got there...congrats! Can't beat the look and handiness of the straight grip. I have the 356 Win. and 444 Marlin versions. I have yet to pull the trigger on the 444. Hope Cable is making out alright....will do a check on him when I get a bit of time.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

So, how does one go into a Costco with a rifle strapped on their back? Around here you'd make the 6:00pm news! :shock:
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cosmoline »

It's not that big of a deal. I've never had problems with it around town, though of course I case or bag it as a standard practice when it's out of the scabbard. Costco has a much bigger issue with backpacks.
I'm so outta shape.
That's what prompted me to start riding again a few years ago. It's so easy to let stuff slide and of course when you get older it's far more difficult to get drop pounds and build muscles. When I was 20 I could get away with anything. I make riding part of my daily life and commute to work year-round. Not exactly easy in an Alaska winter, but surprisingly doable. It's mainly a matter of planning. I'm not as spry as I was, but I plan better.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Cosmoline wrote:It's not that big of a deal. I've never had problems with it around town, though of course I case or bag it as a standard practice when it's out of the scabbard. Costco has a much bigger issue with backpacks.
I'm so outta shape.
That's what prompted me to start riding again a few years ago. It's so easy to let stuff slide and of course when you get older it's far more difficult to get drop pounds and build muscles. When I was 20 I could get away with anything. I make riding part of my daily life and commute to work year-round. Not exactly easy in an Alaska winter, but surprisingly doable. It's mainly a matter of planning. I'm not as spry as I was, but I plan better.
When I lived in Anchorage I used to ski to work when bicycling became too problematic..
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

If God didn't want us humans to move around at speed he would never had allowed the invention of the internal cumbustion chamber. :lol:
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Biker dudes, some of you guys will thank me.(some wont and say I am probably wacked)
Anyway I try to ride 125-150 miles @week,I even used to ride in the winter at below zero temps but started getting sinus infections even with the fabric guard masks) so I use the indoor trainer during those very cold months.
With all that riding sometimes the family jewels can get a little numb right after the ride UNTIL and believe me I have tried "everthing".

Lookup Spongywonder.com these seats are unreal,This brillant engineer from Canada came up with these.They are made of all Stainless Steel and have little Flat Neopreme pads(same stuff the suba divers wetsuites are made from about 1 inch thick.Totally adjustable with seat angle and pad widths.
There is no saddle so it takes a day or so to get used to them.They look cool very small/flat and glossy stainless.I have them on my 2 Cannondales both M700/also KHS Alite 2000/also Fuji Shilouette.The rest of the family has them and also we use one on our Schwinn Evolution Comp indoor trainer.Nothing touches those jewels anywhere, can ride all day with "no issues at all".

the MK6 Spongy Wonder model works just fine(around) $50-$60 American dollars.
Those with big butts use the MK7 also for people over 220lbs they have em too.But the ones stated above I use and I weigh @240lbs
I dont have any of the double sided ones.
No,I dont sell them/no commissions/no freebies/ I just love that quality and know they are the best stuff out there.The exception would be the mainly hardcore offroaders.Since there is no saddle doing real hardcore offroading, you would probably wipe out!
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

That is a great setup. I especially like the trailer. I've attempted scouting and hunting with a rear rack I end up with too much weight on my back. The trailer may be the ticket....I've never seen one like that.

If I try again I'll use one of my takedown 94s completely conceled (I'm in Cali :( )
Chad
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

That Spongywonder is cool... I may have to try that when I get my bike rebuilt...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Jerks in cars were still cutting me off even with a rifle sticking out of my backpack!
Maybe they are just in a panic trying to get away from the mad man with a gun... :D
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Cosmoline said:
Jerks in cars were still cutting me off...................
I'd say there are just as many, if not more, jerks on bicycles cutting off cars, riding against traffic, riding in the middle of a traffic lane, with the bike rider being for the most part a total no-load.

One of the classic arguments from Mountain Bike riders that cracks me up is that they ought to be able to ride their Mountain Bikes where only foot traffic is allowed in some of the Preserves because they say that their Mountain Bikes don't leave a prominent footprint. But on no, we can't have any other users other than those on foot and those on Mountain Bikes in such areas. Bull !!!

My motto and the motto of many in my area is, "Never assist a bicycle rider."
ED
Yer never too old
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cosmoline »

71fan wrote:That is a great setup. I especially like the trailer. I've attempted scouting and hunting with a rear rack I end up with too much weight on my back. The trailer may be the ticket....I've never seen one like that.
It's a BOB trailer, sold at REI. It balances with the bike and carries up to about 75 lbs. I've gotten a ton of use out of it.
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cosmoline »

I'd say there are just as many, if not more, jerks on bicycles cutting off cars, riding against traffic, riding in the middle of a traffic lane, with the bike rider being for the most part a total no-load.
They should have licensing and registration, eh :lol: At any rate, the fact that some people cut off other people (in bikes and cars) does not excuse cutting another person off. That's the "everyone else was speeding" argument. Personally I am meticulous about following all rules of the road because it's my hind end on the line.
My motto and the motto of many in my area is, "Never assist a bicycle rider."
Yup, that sounds like California to me. I hope we never get like that.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Nothing against cyclists but the only handlebars I'm grabbing anymore are on the front of my Kawasaki Brute Force 750 during hunting season !

I've gotten so much out of shape I ride that thing to within 100 yards of all my deer stands and park it !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Tycer wrote:You bikers are nuts.

Nancy and I gave my stepson his first bike since he was a kid the Chrismas-before-last, and today while he was visiting from Charleston he rode it from Asheville to the summit of Mt. Mitchell. 40 miles and 4000 feet up.

My hat's off to y'all.

I'm so outta shape.

Might I suggest an additional gift of some shorts without a heart on the crotch? :lol:
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Jerks in cars were still cutting me off even with a rifle sticking out of my backpack!
I had a guy INSIST on sharing my lane when I was on a bike once;(there were two other lanes he coulda used, and nobody in them) I was chewing Redman, and worked up a big old mouthfull, then deposited it on his windshield. He tried like hell to run me over for about a half an hour, while I'd let him get close, then hop my bike over fences and ditches that would've eaten his car. :lol: It was a jerk move, I know, but I got tired of the feel of a side mirror whipping right past me.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cosmoline »

Might I suggest an additional gift of some shorts without a heart on the crotch?
I don't know--I doubt he has any trouble finding dates in that thing. My own sagging 40 year old carcass in a bib is another matter :lol: